“good location and nice staff”

Royal Hostel Singapore
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The location is good,near mrt chinatown and many place for eat. The hostel is clean,the staff very friendly. I think the common room must be more bigger because we love to share with another friends foreigner. The bathroom so small but no problem and its clean. Milk tea,coffee and biscuits always available for you. If you have low budget ,you can stay in here. Clean ,cheap, good location. For the next, I will sleep on this hostel if i go to singapore.. recommend place for sleep and stay

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank renny s
There are newer reviews for Royal Hostel Singapore

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed here for four weeks in November/December 2013 whilst doing an internship in Singapore. The hostel is very reasonably priced by Singapore's standards, and is of a much higher quality than some similarly-priced establishments.

The location is great, however there is some building works going on right outside the hostel, which can be very loud in the morning (I suppose it's okay if you are an early riser).

I stayed in the 16-room dorm on the reception level. Some of the beds were very squeaky. The lockers are quite small, but I had no problem keeping my suitcase next to my bed as there is sufficient space.

One drawback is the lack of a proper common area to meet people. Also, in general people staying at the hostel kept themselves to themselves.

Wifi was good and reliable. Staff were really friendly and helpful. It would be nice if the reception were staffed for longer hours. On many occasions I found myself having to help people who were arriving/making enquiries because the reception was closed.

Linen was clean when I arrived, and was changed frequently, as requested. Cleanliness of the bathroom was generally good, but with so many people using it, it was sometimes dirty by morning. I never saw any insects inside the hostel.

All in all, I had a comfortable time staying here and, although quite basic, I would have no hesitation in recommending to friends on a budget.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Staffs are very friendly and flexible in arranging the settlement with the guest. My booking could be possibly ararnged in a specialy condition because I didnt have a credit card. It was very accomodating and simple process. On top of that, the hostel did it best to ensure that I would find my way into the bedroom when I arrived very late at night.

Located at the center of Chinatown, the hostel is within walking distance to foodcourt, markets, restaurants, train stations and many other places worth visiting for tourist.

What is needed to improve is some room facility. They should find a way to reduce squeeky noise of the metal locker so that other guest won't be awaken when other try to open it.

Overall it was a great experince. I highly recommend this place to fellow travellers.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 8vio
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Check in was good, however don't bring big suitcases because there is quite a large flight of stairs to take them up. The bathrooms and beds where clean and air conditioning worked well, however the location at the moment has constant construction noise which woke me up each morning. The location of the hostel is good, your not to far from the MRT and shopping village. lockers are small and beds, well they do the trick. Best thing about back packers is that you leave for the whole day and come back and sleep.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We had booked a double room for 1 night and were given a twin room in the attic type space with no windows and hardly any ventilation. The bathrooms were very dirty and had a musty smell. The showers were very small. Location is only thing that is good about this hostel, it is very small and no space in common room to hang out.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stamyf
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I booked the 16-bed dorm and traveled with dad and brother. Even it was a family trip but we carried backpack, just want to safe everything against a developed city

the bunk bed, blanket and toilet are clean. I stayed at the 2nd floor ,there are 2 toilets and 2 shower rooms but nothing is a problem, first time of mine to stay with much people like 16 bed dorm room. I never met people at the same time while I need shower room to take a bath ( I came back from visit outside about 11pm-midnight

they have oven, fridge, milk tea, coffee and some crackers for breakfast and it's self-service. moreover there is a hot-cold water available 24 hrs and the washing machine with cloths dryer, very convenient for someone who need to watch their clothes.

For the location, right now there is a construction at the Smith street( where the hotel located) in front of the hotel. At first saw, I'm afraid that it would be a problem but it's not we travel at daytime and they construct at the daytime too

just 5 minutes walk from Chinatown Subway

the hotel is close to Buddha tooth relics temple,

After I came back from Universal Studios, we decided to take the bus at Bus interchange( you can find the way from the sign at the Waterfront Subway )
take the bus no. 80 to Chinatown costs only SGD1.3 , to avoid crowded people who get off from Universal Studios the same time as you and you will not be tired to walk as a long distance to change the MRT line as well

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Achiraya M
Reviewed 14 October 2013

It's simply not good. Check in was okay and hassle-free but then: no fresh linen! They didn't give me any for the bed. So I had to sleep in the used one! Only two showers and two toilets for around 20 people on the main floor. Uuuuh! Didn't look very clean. And it's not that cheap! My recommendation: do yourself a favor. Stay somewhere else!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo