“Too Tiny for Two Pax”
Review of Amaris Hotel

Amaris Hotel
Ranked #15 of 80 Singapore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Just returned from Singapore. Stayed 2 nights in the smallest hotel room I have ever experienced! The room is suitable for one pax only; only one person can move in the room: the other one has to sit on the bed, not even on the chair so they are not in each other's way!
Called the receptionist to borrow hair dryer at 10.45pm but nobody answered the phone. Hair was still wet when I dozed off after a tiring day touring Singapore.
Water pressure in the small bathroom was good, shower cap was not provided, the whole bathroom is wet when shower is on because there is no shower curtain!
The double bed mattress is good though. Requested for one extra pillow but was rejected; reason given - full occupancy!
Breakfast consists of toast, coffee, cornflakes & milk, instant noodles, sponge cake. No free flow of water .
Location is quite good; it's near bugis junction, so it was easy to travel by MRT. Shopping area is good too.
But sad to say it will be my first and last stay in this small hotel room. It's too suffocating for comfort.

Room Tip: Was informed all rooms are of the same size.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank stage2010

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Rooms are very small and best for a single person travelling. Couples will have a hard time trying to fit luggage into the room. Very basic room, with TV, tea & coffee facilities. Bed is hard but sheets are clean and room has great air conditioning
The bathroom is more of a wet room than a bathroom, leave clothing in the main room as everything does get wet.
Breakfast is VERY basic.
Staff are friendly and I was able to leave my luggage there all day after checkout at no charge.
There a good cafes close by, Raffles Hotek, Suntec & Bugis MRT are a 5 min stroll.

Room Tip: Request one to the back of the building, View isn't great but its quite and ask for 3rd floor as...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Cindy P
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

The room is very tiny....we barely put our ludgages. The internet and free breakfast is horrible. The hotel rate is outrages which is more than $ 100 usd. They need to upgrade the internet and lower down the room rate and breaksfast as well.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank tatianalexander
Reviewed 13 April 2014

When I first booked this hotel online, I saw that it was Amaris and I thought that this must be the similar chain as the 4 star Amaris Hotel in Bangkok but a lower priced hotel. Then I found out that this was under an Indonesian hotel chain.

Here are my thoughts on the hotel:
1) Superb location.
Even for someone who doesnt like to walk too far, this hotel is very close to Bugis Junction. Behind the hotel, a lane away is Purvis Street where you can find superb food from french fine dining to cafe style Hainanese Chicken rice shop (Chin Chin Restaurant) that has been around for over 15 years.

2) Reception
The girls maning the counter know their job well and we had no problem in checking in / out. It was pretty efficient in a way.

3) Room
If you have booked to stay in this hotel, you would already expect the room to be small. So then you shouldnt complaint that the rooms are too small etc. Singapore property prices are expensive and you pay what you get. We had no complaint about the room, except for the wash basin which was outside the bathroom, directly facing the entrance door when we opened the door. It was an odd design. What was the architect thinking when he had it designed it this way?

4) Room Service
Staff thus far was friendly. We didnt realise that our electronic "Do Not Disturb" sign button mounted on the wall was on and our room was not cleared when we returned ( there is no paper sign that you hang on door knob so do take note of this). The cleaning service maid had already left for the day and the receptionist to make up for it, provided us with 2 bottles of free mineral water and 2 clean towels. Fair enough!

5) Breakfasts
Seriously, you cant expect a big array of breakfasts for a small hotel as this . We helped ourselves to the bread, jams, butter, corn flakes, and even instant noodle cups. This is the first time we saw instant noodle cups being served but this is good.

6) Room card key
Do not lose it else you will risk paying SGD50 per room card key.

Overall, we had a great experience staying here as we can just walk to the shopping area, and many restaurants were located just behind the hotel, or even across the street, or same row as the hotel, you can find some Karaoke or small Thai Modern cafe ( Cafe Pal) that serves great tea. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: if you book like a month or so before travelling, it would be good to email the hotel to check that...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BorneoKid
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

We only stayed a night here but this is a decent budget hotel if you don't mind to sleep in the tiny room, the tiniest hotel room that I've ever slept in. It's clean, though, and the bed was comfortable for those who are under 1.8 m tall.

However, its location is good at the heart of Bugis area. About 10 minutes walk from Bugis MRT station and Bugis Junction. There are also lots of dining places nearby. Perfect hotel for traveler who only wants to sleep after traveling around Singapore.

Our only problem was sound from, maybe, a broken fire alarm late at night. After about an hour they managed to fix that.

Breakfast is included but you probably would want to eat somewhere else unless you're a big fan of instant noodle.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sandy P
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I've spent three separate nights at this hotel in the last 6 months so I think I can make a fair review. This hotel is really suited for a single business traveler, on a budget, who only need a clean bed to crash for the night and nothing else. If you're planing to stay for more than a couple of nights or traveling with a companion, or worse, with family members, I would highly recommend that you to stay at other hotel.

For a property that is located about 3 - 4 blocks from Bugis Junction and Raffles City, this hotel is reasonably priced (I paid about SGD120 - SGD150 / night). HOWEVER, that's the only positive I can think of this hotel.

The negatives: first of all, the room is VERY SMALL (<10 SQ m), it is barely enough to fit the full size bed and a chair. I'm 5'10' and I don't think I can stay or sleep in that room with another person in it. The room reminds me a college dorm room. Second of all, the word free "in" free breakfast and free wireless internet means "awful and I'm glad I'm not paying for these services". The breakfast bar consist of: cereals, tea, cakes and pseudo juice (I call it pseudo because this is what we used to call in the states "orange drink", "red drink", etc.). The wireless connection is weak. Thirdly, if you want anything from the front desk, they will want you to pay for it (e.g., $5 for extra towel, etc.). Lastly, I've stayed in many Santika Hotel & Resort properties in Indonesia, in this one has, by far, the WORST front desk team. They are completely clueless and lack of the charm and pleasant manner which I accustomed to in other Santika hotels. I watched a male staff who keeps sitting down on his chair the whole time he was talking rudely to a customer (who btw is not Caucasian). There is a reason why hotel usually don't allow chair behind the front desk. I think Santika HQ office need to scrape the entire front desk team and start fresh. Maybe get some of the Indonesian front desk team in Jakarta to show these incompetent Singaporean staffs how it should be done.

Room Tip: Rooms are very small (about <10 sq m) with a full size bed. If you are 6'0" and taller o...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank BangKoja
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed here for a week whilst on business. The location is central and ideal. The rooms are clean, basic but the smallest i have ever seen. The staff are not friendly, uninterested and not helpful. The wifi signal was very weak, when i notified the staff, they said there working on it. This is the common answer. The breakfast is poor, cereal, toast, and tea. Its served between 7-10, however when i arrived at 9.45 they had taken it all away, i asked why, they shrugged there shoulders, moaned about me and didn't offer me a cup of tea or toast, something just simple.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business