“compact comforts” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #85 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Sydney, Australia
“compact comforts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

A swish hotel that is convenient to the mrt, bus routes and Chinatown (a couple of blocks walk) but not in amongs the noise and craziness of it all. The foyer has a bit of Singaporean upmarket tackiness in the bling but otherwise the hotel is clean and elegantly styled. The pool is great and rarely busy. The standard rooms are pretty small (read: tiny) but I do like the integrated bathroom - fun and embarrassing at the same time. It is a very comfortable hotel (not to mention the beds) and the hotel staff are extremely friendly and go out of their way to help.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank supertooth
dorsettsingapore, Public Relations Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear supertooth,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore!

Thank you for your kind review on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed the hospitality and the convenience of our prime location.

Once again, thank you for choosing us as your preferred accommodation in Singapore and we look forward to welcoming you back as always.

Team at Dorsett Singapore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Okinawa, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed 2 nights in June 2014. The location was good with easy access to the MRT so it was perfect for touring. There isn't a lot of restaurants in the immediate vicinity, you'll have to walk a few minutes to find those.
Room was good. Beds were incredibly comfortable, A/C was super cold. The only issue was the bathroom, specifically the door. You could barely get into the shower with the bathroom door closed. And there's part of the bathroom that's just open to the room, no way of closing it. That'd be fine for a couple but I was traveling with another friend and it was a bit awkward, especially for a 2-twin-bed room.
For the price and location it was pretty good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank AdamFo
dorsettsingapore, Public Relations Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear AdamFo,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore!

Thank you for your kind review on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed the comfort as well as the convenience of our prime location.

Once again, thank you for choosing us as your preferred accommodation in Singapore and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights and it was perfect for our needs. Our main purpose was to visit Universal Studios, but staying on Sentosa was too expensive. This was a great option and the taxi was only $10 to Universal Studios.

The area nearby had some cool dinner and breakfast options so I would suggest having a walk around.

The hotel was clean, had very high ceilings, and had a great shower (rain shower or normal faucet). The whole place has a very new feel to it.

I would stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Shanst,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed at the Dorsett Hotel Singapore from June-19 till June 22, I found the service to be exceptional, especially at the reception counter. The staff were courteous and very helpful.
I was escorted to my room and shown all the facilities available. The concierge were also very helpful in arranging taxi transportation for me as, and when I needed it. The hotel is situated close to an MRT station and I used this facility often in travelling around Singapore. I spent a lot of time at Clark Quay a big dining and entertaining area and it is only a 5 minute taxi ride to there.
I would not hesitate to stay there again as it is away from the hustle and bustle of the downtown area.

Room Tip: Being the first time there I was in a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony overlooking a fish pond...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Kenneth1948
dorsettsingapore, Public Relations Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Kenneth 1948,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore!

Thank you for your kind review and rating your stay with us as “excellent”. We are indeed pleased to receive your compliments on the hospitality rendered. This will surely serve as an inspiration for us to continuously strive for the highest level of service as always.

Once again, thank you for choosing us as your preferred accommodation in Singapore and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Dorsett is a new hotel that opened in 2013. I stayed there in June for 2 nights and booked from one of the main online hotel sites so by the time I arrived at the hotel everything was prepaid. Hotels in Singapore are expensive and with the service tax and GST adding another 17% on the base cost the prices are steep.

I arrived at the hotel in the morning around 11 am and they did not have my room ready because check-in starts from 14:00 pm onwards. I found this to be slightly irritating but for whatever reason the assistant at the lobby could not help more other than being polite.

The lobby area is modern and luxurious yet light and fresh. The check-in desk is very small. The hotel does not have a large lobby with multiple facilities yet it has a special interior design. If you are interested to experience a mid size luxury hotel that is organized in a different way than the traditional hotels then you may want to consider the Dorsett. It is a discreet and quiet place for those who want to avoid the big commercial hotels.

I stayed at a deluxe room on the 9th floor. The room was fine, high ceilings, fine decor with neutral color tones, and the room size is big enough. The bed and the pillows quality are really good. The air-condition also worked very well. It seems to be typical that in Singapore the water flow is not very fast (could be to save on water costs) and the hot water temperature was not very hot. Some may say that there is no need to use very hot water in Singapore when you take a bath or shower but I disagree. There are times when someone may want to enjoy a hot shower.

I did not want to get the breakfast included in the rate because it was too expensive at about 38 SGD plus tax and just around the hotel there are so many nice cafes to have breakfast. The breakfast is served at a restaurant on the ground floor that serves both those who stay at the hotel as clients from outside, for this reason I thought I can spend my money for breakfast anywhere in the area where there are multiple nice cafes within 5 min walk distance. The hotel is practically next to the famous restaurant Andre.

Also this hotel is next to the Dorsett Residences (furnished corporate apartments) so the entire property and the way it is managed is a bit different than the standards hotels. Everything feels more discreet and private in this hotel.

The nicest is the pool area on the 3rd floor. The pool environment is very relaxing considering you are still in the middle of the city. The pool area is next to the road though and there can be some traffic noise. From the pool area there is a nice view of a park and a bit of a horizon looking towards the interior of the island. Note that the pool closes at 10 pm though and I found this disappointing. I wanted to relax until late night as I had a stressed day and while I was in the pool a guard alerted me that the pool will close at 10 pm. It felt slightly limiting my freedom, especially when I pay prices that in other places I would get a lot more services included.

There are a few rooms on the 3rd floor that are facing a small relaxing area called 'The Pavilion' and there is a small pond with water to relax. The rooms have open balconies to the water pond and they look very nice. However The Pavilion was not open during my stay.

The shower and lavatory area have a compact and contemporary and ergonomic design, it is not luxurious in the classic terms yet all worked fine.

There are some details in the room's interior design that have not been taken care though, you need to be very observant to spot these details. Yet I think for the prices paid, management should pay more attention on these details.

Overall the hotel does not have many services. Basically you get a very nice room and a very nice discreet pool. If you are one of those travelers that you appreciate privacy with a touch of luxury and you do not need to use multiple facilities this hotel is very good. It is also located just 2 min walk from the MRT station.

There are still details with this hotel, physical details with the room set-up as well as service details, that need to be refined. Management needs to pay more attention.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank JM_PEK
dorsettsingapore, General Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Mr/Ms JM Pek

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback and genuine interest for Dorsett Singapore.

Please rest assured that we value guests' feedback very seriously and your comments are most helpful and valuable to the company where I have personally discussed with my Senior Management Team. Providing genuine care and finest personal services is our highest mission and we will certainly make a continued effort to strive to achieve our goal. Nevertheless, your observations and feedback are most timely and appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your time taking to write with the constructive feedback which we certainly appreciate. We look forward to welcoming back to Dorsett Singapore soon.
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Located just next to MRT Outram Park NE3 line H exit, I found this hotel is very convenient. Many bus stops around, including those which heading to Orchard Rd. and Marina Bay. I was lucky to be upgraded to the Loft Room, and I totally love the private space on the loft -- which is the bed -- while I can watch the TV or the people walking from afar. Too bad that there is not much movie/drama channels on the TV.
And I was a bit bothered that they don't provide water spray on the toilet. I know it's not in their culture, but it would be great if any kind of guest does not have to be bothered by this custom. Also, I had difficulty turning on/off the hot water in shower room. It's either still hot, or getting hotter. The door knob (in the shower room) as well, was like a really short thick metal and it was hard to pull the heavy glass door from the inside with a wet hand. Fortunately I had my nail, so I can stuck it to the little space between the door and the knob to pull it.
Apart from that, I did enjoy my stay in this hotel. The calming scent at the entrance always give a 'welcome home' feeling. But if you're a midnight snack eaters, be sure to buy it in advance. The nearest convenient store is small and does not have many choices.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank deadesu
dorsettsingapore, Public Relations Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear deadesu,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore!

Also, please allow us to foremost extend our sincere apologies for the disappointment you felt over the amenities. We truly appreciate your patience with us and we have brought this to the attention of the department concerned for necessary actions.

Once again, thank you for choosing us as your preferred accommodation in Singapore and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dorsett Singapore in the near future.