“Good value for our money” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blanc Inn

Blanc Inn
“Good value for our money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

My husband and I stayed for three nights when we visited Singapore in July. We were initially concerned about the privacy of their alcoves but decided to give it a try as we did not want to spend too much on a hotel  (accommodation is so expensive in Singapore!). It was much better than we expected, we got a room like space, and although on the small side compared to the usual hotel room size, was clean and comfortable. It was our first time in a hostel and I took a bit of getting used to the fact that there were other alcoves in the same room. Luckily, the other guests were quite considerate and did not make too much noise. The toilets were shared but kept clean. I loved the decor of the place and the lounge was very charming. It was a shame they did not serve breakfast but we did try out the local breakfast in nearby eateries which the hostel staff directed us to. There is a hip looking coffee joint opposite the hostel which I recommend you visit, it reminded me of the coffee bars in New York and they had great coffee!
Surprisingly, the hostel had discounted attraction tickets as well which was useful, we got our tickets to universal studios quite a bit cheaper than the official ticket price. All in all, great value for our money and would definitely be back if we visit Singapore again!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Lovetowander123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the end of August. The rooms are set up as privacy alcoves with curtains blocking the entrance to your space but you are more or less in a dorm i.e you can hear your fellow roommates. We had a double with air con and a safe. Very comfortable, clean, with a nice common room area (with complimentary tea and coffee). The bathroom is unisex. It was clean but could do with a makeover. The staff were really friendly and full of information about the area.
You can easily walk from here in to the city centre through little India but if walking's not your thing then Lavender MRT station is just down the road.
Lavender food hall (local hawker centre) is around the corner and is brilliant for food. Try the chicken rice and the pork dumplings.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs alcove to avoid any noise from above. If you're having a beer in Lavender fo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LotusFB
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

This is one of best, unique hostel I ever stayed for my South East Asia trip. The hostel has a theme in white. It has four big loft design rooms. In each big room, it has 4 privacy alcoves, each separated by privacy curtains. With that, it is almost like a private room by itself. The price is much cheaper as compared to staying at a hotel.

As many other reviews had mentioned, the hostel is very clean, comfortable bed linens, staff friendly, locations is good where the hostel had a good guide write-up how to go around Singapore. The hostel is near to two MRT stations - Lavender MRT station and Farrer Park MRT station.

Room Tip: Each privacy alcove has a safebox in a steel cupboard. Still, Bring own padlocks for the steel cupbo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bcchua3
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

A friend of mine had recommended Blanc Inn to us. My family of four stayed at the hostel for 5 nights in July. The hostel is easy to find. The hostel has its own inhouse website whereby it tells his guests where and how to move around Singapore. The hostel will send you email the URL of the website, only after you have made booking reservation with the hostel. Overall, we are satisfied with the hostel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tong Ko L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed for a night at this hostel on my transit through Singapore. What caught my attention was how clean it was and unlike other hostels I've been to in Europe, Blanc inn was bright and airy. I was in a shared room but the layout of the room and the curtains meant I had privacy while sleeping. There was a cosy relaxation area at the back of the hostel and I got to meet fellow travellers.

Bathroom facilities are shared so be aware that the usage is a lot higher in the night. That said, the bathroom facilities were kept very clean by the staff!

I felt this was good value for money especially since I was traveling on a budget. It also exceeds the hostel experience I've had in other countries. Would definitely reccomend blanc inn!

• Stayed July 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed here in mid April and it had just opened.

The accommodation is clean and modern with a really great coffee shop over the road for breakfast. It is just a 10 min walk to the metro station which is easy to navigate around the city.

The beds, bathrooms and lounge area were impeccable.

The owner and his staff are very very friendly and will help you with anything you need, he even lent me his umbrella when it was raining.

Really great place, for very very reasonable rates.

Thanks for a great stay

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I found this place by accident when I was looking for a good lodging at a reasonable price. After looking at the pictures on their website and found out it was brand new(opened early this year); I opted to book and pay the deposit.

A few days before your arrival, you will receive an email with online checking procedure and self check in direction if you are arriving after the receptions hours(8:30am-8:30pm). As it turns out, this was probably the must useful tool simply because I was scheduled to arrive here around 12pm however due to a typhoon in Taipei, my flight was delay so I was able to update my online check to self check in after hours.

When I arrived, I followed the direction and found my instructions in the late check in box. I was able to go to my room and crash for the night. The entrance and the alcoves are all electronic, no key; so be sure to write the codes down or else you won't be able to get in.

The rooms have curtains; not doors so you will hear everything (and smell everything). I was woken up by a insane amount of cologne/perfume that pretty much overpower the suite. Each has a bed, light, small lamp, locker with a safe in it, mirror and a fan. There are no windows. The bedding were clean and the air conditioner are shared within. There are unisex 2 toilets, 2 shower rooms and 2 toilet/shower rooms.

I saw the 2 owners helped clean the bathrooms in the morning as I was leaving for my activities. Mark(VERY CUTE) was really nice to me when I tried to settle my bill and was told they don't take credit card and that I could settle it later. (See room tip.)

Lavender MRT is a 5-10 min walk and the area is surrounded by food centers/hawkers. There is free Wifi and the reception area has a shelf on brochures for sightseeing things to do.

When I come back to Singapore, I will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Pay in cash. They do not have credit card devices. If have a lot of luggage, get a room on the grou...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo