“NOT WORTH THE PRICE”

Mori Hostel
Denpasar, Indonesia
“NOT WORTH THE PRICE”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My stay at mori hostel was alright, BUT that was because I paid the promo price which was much much cheaper than the usual rate. I am writing this review to warn people not to be fooled by the pictures and its nice website, because there is a big chance you will be disappointed. Except on the ground floor, there were only one bathroom and one toilets on each floor, and I would not call them clean. In fact there were several times that I had to go up and and down to different floors to check and find the cleanest ones. The room was okay, but the curtain was a bit pointless. Common facilities such as hairdryers are available; but inconveniently need to be requested at the front desk office, lockers are also available; but you need to bring / purchase your own lock, towels are not part of the deal, you need to rent them. There was also no electronic socket at the bathroom area, making it hard for people to groom. Worst part was that we had to make our own bed and took the sheets out ourselves when we checked out. Basically we did everything ourselves, which in my opinion, is not acceptable for a hostel within this price range (around $50 for a bed in a shared room). They are not that cheap as a hostel, at least it should be cleaner! I stayed at many budget hostel that were cheaper and better. In conclusion, I would say their service and management are really bad. So unless it is on promo sale price and you don't mind any of what I said below, it is definitely not worth it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tikawangsa
howard_wee, Owner at Mori Hostel, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Hi tikawangsa,

Thank you for your stay with us and sharing your experience and comments of mori hostel.

- Due to stringent local fire safety and building regulations. Additional new covered areas that could be used as additional toilets/showers on the 2nd & 3rd storey were not possible - this is similar to every hostel house housed in conservation heritage shophouses in Singapore.
While there were early considerations to combine shower with toilet in a single enclosure, to get an additional bathroom compartment for the 2nd & 3rd storey, we'd decided against it, as being backpackers ourselves, we find it to be extremely inconvenient & uncomfortable to use water closets/toilet bowls that are constantly wet. Also, for basic safety reasons, we do not have power sockets in the bathrooms.
There are actually power sockets at the dry area, next to the communal basins at the 1st storey. This is for the convenience of guests, since it is on the same level as the front desk office.
Thankfully, most of our guests understand where we come from when we get to explain to them.

- As some bunk beds are located near the windows on the 2nd & 3rd storey, we'd installed black out roller blinds to ensure guests using the bunk beds get a good rest should they decide to sleep in.

- Similar to hostels in Europe, Asia & Singapore, towels & padlocks for lockers are not complimentary, and the one time rental/purchase is at a nominal fee.

- We'd made it a policy to give out fresh sheets for check in guest instead of leaving the sheets made on the bed as we've have seen for ourselves, when backpacking, instances of fellow guest sleeping in different vacant beds every night, or hostels not changing sheets even when the guests have checked out.
This is to ensure absolute hygiene and fresh bed sheets for all check in guest.

- Our rates are not based on promotion, but on flexible and non flexible term rates, similar to all hostels. As with previous reviews from experienced backpacking guests, the photos of our hostel is as accurate, as it is.

- Daily periodic housekeeping is carried out everyday in our hostel. There may have been an experience during peak hour period in the particular day which you'd found our cleanliness to be wanting. Nevertheless, we would very much appreciate if you could contact us at reservations@morihostel.com, with full details of your encounter, for us to improve on our housekeeping policies.

We understand that every guest is different and unique. Thank you again for your feedback, we will continue to improve on our performance.

Mori hostel management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
UK- South East
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I've thought about what to write in this review a fair bit, it's more a tale of two halves!

The positives:

- hostel is how it looks online, big beds, fairly spacious rooms.
- good bathrooms, always clean.
- good wifi connection.
- friendly and helpful staff.
- nice paintings on the corridor walls.

The negatives:
- the rooms at the front where we were staying have parts of their windows missing, replaced with slats of wood. Now regardless of any reason given that it's 'in keeping' with the area, it's a hostel which is meant to be for sleep, not to go out of it's way to keep you up all night! There is no sound proofing what so ever, so avoid these rooms at all costs- after 4 nights of very broken sleep I was extremely glad to be leaving!
- additionally, I'm used to putting up with noise from others in a hostel room but the guests who we shared with over the week, a range of different people were extremely inconsiderate. Noise late into the night with bags, lights on and off and then again at very early hours. Could have just been bad luck though.
- the breakfast area was often pretty dirty where people had just left mess lying around- the staff, although lovely, seem to do not a lot other than sit at reception! They could easily come through and have a tidy now and then!
- there's nothing on the doorstep or on the road of the hostel that's of any use, other than a takeaway pizza place two doors down if that takes your pick. Closest point is city mall 10 minutes, if you're quick, walk away where there is good food- go right to top of the building.

Overall it's a nice place to stay on paper, but I feel that paying just a tad more you would get a little bit more, a decent sleep and some slightly more considerate room mates!

• Stayed January 2014
howard_wee, Owner at Mori Hostel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Hi ollie1990 ,
- some of the glass panels were replace with wooden slats to make the exterior look more interesting. we'd decided on louvered windows to allow guest to get some fresh air ( if desired, without compromising safety). we will certainly review this and consider replacing the glass back.
- there may have been guests who were having early check out and hence the disturbance you'd encountered. we also have complimentary ear plugs should guests require. Should such disturbance persist, we would have offered to transfer you to a different room or speak to the other guests in your room to be more mindful.
- we have taken note on the housekeeping at the breakfast area, this will be relayed to our front desk team immediately.
- there are also a few other good local eateries which are much closer to mori and open till late night, our front desk team would be able to help with directions & recommendations.

We understand that every guest is different and unique.Thank you again for your feedback, we will continue to improve on our performance.

Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Super cool and cozy new hostel. Clean rooms, comfy bed,AC, free internet, friendly staff...everything you need. If you need something more just ask in the reception, they will give some tips where to go for a dinner ...etc For this money you not gonna find anything better in singapore, for sure. Good location,with in 5-10 min walking to a awesome "food center",shopping mall or metro station. We are gonna be back in more less 2 months, big thanks and see you soon guys. Filip & Edyta.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
howard_wee, Owner at Mori Hostel, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Cześć/Olá Filip & Edyta!

we're extremely happy you both enjoyed your mori episode in Singapore ;-) Anson, Kiat and myself were glad to hang out with you both at the patio.

hope you both rode some awesome waves in bali, and enjoy yourselves in Gili ( ps, if you happen to stay in Gili air, swing by manta dive and the reggae bar nearby for some great hospitality!

we look forward to catching up with you guys soon!!

Anson, Kiat & Howard
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Highly recommend this place for travellers looking for a budget-friendly yet comfortable stay. Dorms are clean with really comfortable bunk beds. Each bunk is furnished with a reading lamp and power socket - everything was really well-thought of for the visitors' convenience. Can't praise the staff enough for being so helpful and friendly too. Plus, it's only a 5 minute walk from the nearest MRT station, with loads of eateries nearby. Definitely made the right choice staying here :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
howard_wee, Owner at Mori Hostel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Hi HueyTengT,

happy new year and many thanks for sharing your positive experience during your stay at mori hostel!

many thanks, for the positive encouragement for our service team.

we look forward to hosting you and your friends at mori hostel.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Since this is the 1st time I travel w/o my wife, I chose to stay in a BnB ‘coz it will be cheaper than a hotel. My last hostel stay was 15 years ago, so I was quite skeptical & don’t know what to expect. Read enough recent reviews of some hostels, bad ones like M.B.Hostel refusing to recognize fully paid Agoda’s hotel vouchers produced by newly arrived guests & insisted them to pay cash to the hostel again, or even claimed the hostel is full & Agoda did not communicate to them about the bookings; besides complains about dirty toilets & smelly bedrooms in U.Hostel & K.R.B Hostel (which I was initially considering since these 2 are at half the price I paid for Mori). With the Little India riots just occurred nearby Mori on 8/12/2013, 4 days later I still booked at Mori… Did I regret choosing Mori??? Nah! For the price I paid the whole place was just amazingly nice & run by kind helpful friendly staffs. I was so impressed to see their ACTUAL PHYSICAL CONDITIONS are exactly the same as the Mori photos shown in TripAdvisor; clean, tidy, fresh! I had the most pleasant stay.

Check-in 16/12/2013 was fast & efficient. Spreading our own bed sheet was OK, at least I know the sheets are washed & clean. My new pillow case has a stain, Sasha & Rahman immediately replace it for me. Walkways, staircase, wash rooms are well lighted throughout the evenings with ceiling fans blowing 24/7 to keep the place fresh. I am very particular about toilets; Mori have very clean toilets & wash rooms, enough units to go around that not even once I need to wait throughout my 5 days there. Breakfast was simple but good enough; brewed coffee/ tea bags, corn flakes/coco crunch with fresh milk, white bread/toasts with different spreads available, sometimes fruit cakes added.

On my 2nd day the staff, Kelvin noticed my “panda” eyes, offered me pain killers & enquire if it is due to noisy guest that kept me awake, even offered to change room for me & told me they can help by reminding any noisy roommates. But it is just my own persistent headache I had always have that kept me awake. In fact the extra big single bed was super comfy & clean!

3rd day there, it rained so heavy the Ladies dorm (ground flr) had a small puddle. A Swiss lady from that room told me the staff immediately offered the girls to change to another room which they declined. They really appreciated the staffs kind gesture. Then there was this Dutch who was still going out with a rubbish bag over his head in the heavy downpour, the hostel owners Howard & Teng who so happen to come over (maybe to arrange contractor to repair the leaks) offered the Dutchman an umbrella rather than let him out in the heavy rain looking silly.

I noticed guests who check-in late was arranged efficiently. Even though reception closed @ 11pm, pin codes are provided to enable guest to enter the building for late check-ins. New bed sheet, pillow case, blanket were packed in plastic bags individually with an attached white envelope boldly written with guest names containing key card + instruction were left waiting on the reception counter. While smoking & surfing the net outside, I did help some guests arriving after 1.00am who can’t remember the pin code provided, let them in after confirming their names matched those on the envelopes. No drunk guest making noise around outside or inside, did not see any non-hostel guest tress pass inside. Most nights I was sitting out on the front patio surfing net till 3am; safe, quiet, peaceful. U can even boil some water & make tea 24/7 if u want to. WIFI was very fast 24/7.

Checked out 11am on my last day 20/12/2013 & left my luggage there. At 5pm when I went back to pick it up, Kin allowed me to use the shower b4 I leave, I even have another cup of coffee, on the net & charged my h/phone.

If I may add, plastic lockers in rooms are not sturdy, too light & it wobble as u take out/in your stuffs, thus make a lot of noise & disturb other sleeping guest. I wonder if this DIY plastic locker would be easy to dissect, ‘coz they are only held together with big plastic screws at the side, maybe would be easy to unscrew with a 20 cent coin even when it is pad-locked. The top Mori signboard in front is a bit too small & overwhelm by the next door Mt.Hostel’s much bigger signboard; guest arriving daytime can easily walk pass & still miss Mori Hostel ‘coz they can only see & their vision clouded by the big Mt.Hostel signboard, resulting in unnecessary stressful walk in the heat. At night, there is no such problem as the other Mori Hostel signboard on the front door is lighted & glow in the dark.

Forgot to mention my wife made me call her immediately after I checked in ‘coz she was very much against me staying in a hostel for this trip, wanting to know if the place is not OK (in particular if the toilets are clean). Now that I am back home & told her about my wonderful stay in Mori Hostel, she is insisting that for our Singapore trip next month, she wants to have a few days stay at Mori, just to “acclimatized” herself to a hostel surroundings! Come to think of it, with Mori Hostel wonderful settings, even a newbie like her will not have a culture shock. So we shall stay at Mori again! Woman ! I just love her.

Room Tip: Treat the hostel staffs with respect & kindness. I believe they will return the same to u. In fa...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank YangEmily
howard_wee, Owner at Mori Hostel, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Hi YangEmily,

We're extremely that glad you had the most pleasant stay with us. Your positive feedback of the front desk team is a great encouragement for us. And many thanks for helping late check in guests with the password to enter.

We've noted about your concerns about the lockers and will look into it. please be assured that the lockers are extremely safe and well put together.

We have considered bigger signage during the renovation period, however, there are local building regulations that restrict the size of signage protruding from our building which we had to adhere.

we look forward to hosting your wife and yourself in the near future.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

After coming from Thailand a clean hostel was most welcome. This hostel is so well designed and stands out from others i've stayed at as it's really trendy. The staff are helpful and a basic breakfast is included which is nice. I didn't find it overly sociable and it was a nightmare trying to sleep and the paper thin windows let all the noise from outside in which seems to go on till the early hours of the morning. Perhaps good for a short term stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
howard_wee, Owner at Mori Hostel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Hi cjacks0n ,

Many thanks for your stay with us and sharing your experience and comments of mori hostel.

We are grateful for the positive feedback of the hostel design, helpful team and our complimentary breakfast.

it was a deliberate intention to install louvered windows that would allow fresh air into the room you'd stayed in, should any guests want to, without compromising on safety.

We understand that every guest is different and unique. Complimentary ear plugs are available at our front desk upon request. We would've gladly transfered you to a quieter room or given you the ear plugs if we'd heard from you then.

Thank you again for your feedback, it will only ensure that we continue to improve on our performance.

Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This is my 3rd time in Singapore and in the past years, I always stay in a hotel. For a change and since I am on a budget trip this time around, I want to stay in a hostel. I based my options from the reviews by fellow travelers. And through research, I ended up choosing Mori Hostel. The place is near the Farrer Park (Purple Line) MRT. Around 5-10 minutes walk. The place is also near the City Square Mall. So I think it is a big plus! I didnt see any nearby convenience store (7-11, Cheers, etc) though.

The room is fine. Bed is indeed comfortable. I was able to get a good sleep during my stay. The staff is very helpful and friendly. They even prepared my early breakfast in preparation for my run in the Standard Chartered Marathon. They put a whole loaf bread on top of my luggage. Funny. =)

One thing I didnt like is the bidet of one of the toilets in the first floor. It is placed on the left side, whereas on the other toilet it is located at the right side. Plus the pressure is so strong and I am having a hard time using it.

Other than that, it was a pleasurable experience. I was able to mingle with my roommates of different nationalities.

Thank you for giving me this first experience. =)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
howard_wee, Owner at Mori Hostel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Hi Koolas,

Thank you for sharing your experience and comments of mori hostel. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is a great encouragement to our team to see your positive feedback.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again to Singapore. Thank you once again and please keep spreading the word.