“Great but can be improved ”

The Westin Singapore
Ranked #34 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

Great service and location. New downtown line MRT has just been opened. Very close to hotel. There is a food court called food garden next to the hotel. Stunning view from the room, as we got upgraded to double bed corner room. Gym is ok. Pool is a bit small. They have promotion for lunch and dinner buffet at the lobby restaurant during this festive session. Looks like a good deal. Two minor points were the taxi waiting time and no electric plug in the bathroom for hairdryer.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2013

Thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay at The Westin Singapore.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I booked this hotel a long time ago, before it even opened in fact, and was looking forward to my brief stay as the renderings looked very promising. I was not disappointed!

The taxi from the airport is pretty reasonable at $27. The driver didn't know where it was when I said Westin Singapore, presumably because it's so new, but he recognized Asia Square so that was good.

I had used my suite nights for an upgrade, but couldn't get it because there some media conference being held at the hotel. A little disappointed but no big deal. They gave me a complimentary upgrade to a corner executive King, with two floor-to-ceiling glass walls looking the west and the north side (the port and the CBD, respectively), so the view was fantastic, and I'm a big sucker for views. The bathroom was had such a great view facing the CBD, and because I was at 43rd floor and the building were far I didn't worry about having to close the blinds. The décor in the room was very nice and tasteful IMO. I didn't go to any of the restaurants at the hotel so can't comment no those.

The lounge had decent breakfast. The selection is not as vast as those I found in Cambodia, but very good nonetheless (made to order eggs, salmon, cured meats, congee, etc.)

The only thing I wished they had different was the orientation of the pool. It's a gorgeous infinity pool, but right now it faces the container port. You can't admire Singapore's skyline from this pool, something you can do at Marina Bay Sands rooftop.

Of all the Westins hotels (excluding resorts) I've stayed at, I'd put this in my top two (the other being the Westin in Lima).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank StevenLong1989
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

We truly appreciate your kind feedback and are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We will continue to strive for excellence and certainly look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay at The Westin Singapore.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed 5 nights at The Westin in December 2013, 3 weeks after the hotel had opened. All the staff were Excellent, attentive, very polite, always willing to help. The hotel was clean, very tidy, the rooms were comfortable and the bathrooms were excellent. Only issue I had was that there was no electrical plug for the hair drier by a mirror. Assumed a man had designed the room!! Food in the restaurant was very good and reasonably priced. Location near the financial centre was perfect for me, which is why I chose The Westin. Will definitely go back there on my next business visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

We truly appreciate your valuable feedback and delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Please rest assured that we are addressing the issue with the hairdryer and we apologized for any inconvenience caused. Thank you and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful experience at The Westin Singapore!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I am a fan of new hotels that offer big rooms and suites with special opening rates. Luckily for me, I booked a Junior Suite and was upgraded to a Sea View Suite (its biggest suite so far) by the very friendly front reservations lady, while waiting elegantly in the awe-inspiring 32th lobby with a commanding view of Marina South, Keppel Wharves and Sentosa. Check-in was smooth sailing and the sea view from the room was stunning (which in due course will be eventually blocked by newer developments, I'm sure). Fittings and décor in the room were understated and luxurious, with sufficient space in the living area even for mingling with a few friends and a long soaks in the huge bathtub. The large screen TV in the living room is fitted with an interactive panel that allows for external devices such as hard drives and laptops to be plugged in. The bed was comfortable, though a bit on the "soft" side.

The only thing that caught me by surprise was the mini-bar device that charges guests once the items are removed for more than 15 seconds. I've read about it in US hotel reviews but to see it right in front of me proved to be a little unnerving. One of my friends made the mistake of lifting the $15 mineral water to examine the contents and I almost tackled him down like a rugby player.

We had a few friends over for drinks, and requested for a few rounds of ice buckets. No problem. We ended up playing group games and a few ended up more boisterous than usual. No problem too. During breakfast, my roommate wanted to dine alfresco near the pool but halfway through it started to drizzle and we had to move our plates and drinks indoors. No problem as well. Almost every service request was anticipated for and met with casual efficiency and politeness.

After breakfast, my roommate and I chilled out at the pool deck chairs and ended up taking a short nap. There was only one swimming couple; no noisy children spotted. Though we were in an entirely urban setting, the sound of running water and the caressing winds made it feel like an urban resort.

At check-out, the staff remembered me from another hotel stay (he was previously from another chain) and complimented me on my excellent choice and hoped to see me come back again. For the first time in a long while, I agreed with him.

The only shortcoming of the hotel, I feel, is the accessibility, which can only be improved with time. After check out, the concierge openly admitted that it will be hard for us to get a cab on a Sunday afternoon, and ended up calling one for us. The Downtown Line station, slated to open on 22 Dec, will tremendously add to the hotel's overall appeal.

All in all, I had a very nice staycation in downtown Singapore. When the bigger suites are open for business, I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Choose the Sea View or Sea facing rooms as the rest face office or residential buildings and may off...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

We are truly delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent staycation at The Westin Singapore and would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused due to the minibar. Once the Downtown MRT Line is ready, travelling to any other parts of Singapore will be much more convenient for our guests as our building is located just next to the station. We really appreciate your wonderful feedback about the rooms, facilities and our services. It has indeed been a pleasure having you with us and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable experience at The Westin Singapore!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed earlier this week at the Westin, and I loved it!
The hotel is new... the location is great, the views are outstanding. I could see myself just sitting in the lobby, and overlooking the busy cargo harbor...The front desk, and the telephone teams are very helpful and accommodating. The rooms are nice and functional; the bathroom is nice and spacious with the tub strategically located close to the huge window, which allows you to unwind by overlooking Singapore.
Their bar Cooks & Brews, is great. Ok, there is the view again... but the beverage offerings and the food amazing! Compliments to the Chef, he did a great job in working out this menu.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you for your kind feedback and we are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It is through comments such as yours that truly encourage my team and I to strive for excellence and to exceed the expectations of our guests. We appreciate your support and certainly look forward to welcoming you back again for another wonderful stay at The Westin Singapore.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Having just completed a 2 night stay at the Westin in Singapore. Here is a brief synopsis of the stay. Hopefully some of the problems are teething problems, but some are a bit more difficult to amend.
First off, if you are a woman who requires a mirror to style you hair as you blow wave it dry, then be aware that there is NOWHERE in the entire room where you can plug in the hair dryer and look in a mirror. I realize that it must be a Singapore rule that there are no power outlets allowed in the bathroom, but the Crown Plaza at Changi manages to have an outlet near the cupboard (which has a full length mirror on the outside) and this does the job very nicely.
Also in a room designed for 2 people there is really only space for one suitcase, and this in in the closet under the hanging space. The only other place you can put a suitcase is on the counter near the TV, but that has one of those weight sensitive trays (with water and mints - which says if you move them , after 15 seconds the purchase will be billed to your room) so I was reluctant to put a case there, in case the lid knocked the items on the tray. Another place was on the desk (inconvenient if you want to work) or on the counter near the desk, which meant you covered up the only outlets available to recharge appliances.
There seems like a lot of wasted space in the room (we were at the end of the passage and we had a narrow corridor from the hallway to the actual room)
The beds were comfortable, bathroom accessories great. Was not too keen on the full length floor to ceiling window in the bathroom - especially as it faced the office block opposite - so we drew the blind for the duration of the stay (sort of defeated the idea of the view)

The other problem we had was in the Brew pup restaurant - the service was terrible, uncoordinated and excessively slow - took 15 minutes to get our check, even after we spoke to the manager. Hopefully with training, this will improve.

A good place for breakfast, outside the hotel is on the ground floor of the office block next door - called Marche - very good omelets and reasonable prices.

Would we go back - probably not - still prefer the Conrad for Location....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank snoopy_lh
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

We truly apologized for the lapse of service you have encountered during your recent stay with us. Being a newly-opened hotel, your feedback is very valuable as it enables us to focus and address issues like the hairdryers, as well as to improve and further enhance our product and services. We seek your kind understanding and patience while we are resolving them and would like to offer our sincere apologies once again for any inconvenience caused. Thank you and we certainly hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Singapore in the near future.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I arrived at the hotel with at least 4 staff at the arrival hall entrance on the ground floor, but none offered to help me with my bags. However, they did pleasantly greet me and assisted with the lift door.

I was warmly welcomed by the front desk girl at the lobby on the 32nd floor. The check-in was prompt and efficient with a personal touch, by engaging me with some light conversation. I was even offered to be escorted to the lift, which I politely declined.

I felt pleasantly surprised by the beautiful birthday cake the hotel had prepared for me in my room by the Guest Relations team. The room was clean and met my expectations.

I had breakfast for the 1st morning and dinner at Seasonal Tastes for both nights that I was there. There are still improvements needed for the restaurant.

Firstly, there is a labelling/signage issue. Items on the buffet line was labelled wrong, such as the ratoutulie was labelled as couscous, and the couscous was labelled as gnocchi. I informed the chef? that was nearby, he didn't seem too pleased, which is puzzling. There was a 'live' Kueh Pie Tee section which no one knew about until we asked about the existence of the Kueh Pie Tee shells, displayed along the buffet. On a different night, it was a 'live' california roll station, which once again... no one knew... again. Similarly, there is a smoked salmon station which no one knew about.. as well... until we asked. On a side note, It was agreed that the coffee smoked salmon was outstanding.

Secondly, during breakfast, the water from the steamers for the dim sum started to collect on the buffet counter and flow down to the floor. It was interesting that none of the staff noticed, but even more surprising that no one slipped.

Service wise, I would like to commend Anny, as she was outstanding compared to the rest of the waiting staff. She constantly checked on how I was doing, and showed genuine care for her guests.

The pool side girl was great as well. She immediately extended towels and found us dry seats, as it was raining previously.

The bed was so comfortable and the bathtub was perfect for my relaxing soak, with my wine.

I did truly enjoy my stay even with some setbacks.

Room Tip: Choose the premium sea view room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

We truly appreciate your valuable feedback and would like to offer our sincere apologies for the lapse of service. Being a newly-opened hotel, there is definitely room for improvements and we would like to assure you that these issues will be addressed and resolved. Thank you and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Singapore for your next staycation.