“Westin Singapore can do better”

The Westin Singapore
Ranked #30 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We booked 2 double-bedded rooms and paid extra to stay in premium sea view rooms. It's so not worth the US$30+ per night. All we could see was the huge container terminal and definitely NOT a pleasant view at all. It's better to choose rooms facing the infinity pool, at least you could see the modern design of the Air Science Museum and the Singapore Flyer, or the room with nice city view.

The hotel is definitely not generous in offering upgrades to SPG Gold members. There was not even complimentary online flight check-in service and the front desk or concierge staff could not offer help when asked. They just kept apologizing for the inconvenience. Please remember that guests appreciate good service way more than incessant apologies.

No doubt the hotel is very new and all facilities and rooms are brand new which made our stays quite comfortable with new bedding and a modern bathroom. It was indeed very relaxing to swim in the infinity pool early in the morning as there was no other guests but just our family at 8:30 am on a weekday. What a great start of the day!

We enjoyed the usual amenities and the Heavenly products from Westin. However, when we chose to have the Green Program we thought that we only requested it for 1 night, then we could have the housekeeping service the next day, but the hotel assumed that it was for the entire 4-night stay. But then we didn't get the $6 off voucher for the 2nd day and we had to call for housekeeping the 3rd day. Housekeeping service and hotel communication was definitely not up to par to keep up with the Westin brand.

Getting a taxi could be hard on weekends but during the week there were lots of taxis at the Asia Square, all we did was just to walk 200 meters to get them. The Downtown MRT Station opened on Dec 22, 2013 made going to China Town and Bay Front for Marina Bay Sands and Gardens by the Bay really easy.

The hotel was just opposite Lau Pa Sat (the Satay Street) and we had a yummy satay dinner the first night in Singapore.

Westin Singapore has lots of potentials to do well. We may stay there again when better reviews are offered and the construction work around that area is completed.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a premium sea view room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for any miscommunication on the cleaning of your room by our Housekeeping Team, as well as any inconvenience caused during your recent stay with us. Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed 9 January 2014

With a high expectation from my favorite brand WESTIN, I booked a room for a day. Sorry to say my stay experience was not really enjoyable rather, disappointing ! As a newly opened property, most of the taxi drivers doesn't know its exact location resulting as, I had to pay good extra amount. Finally, while reached at the hotel ['right tower'] I was confused to find-out the 'hotel reception'. No staff or team member was there who may guide me. Being a SPG Platinum member, I expected a 'select suite' upgrade, but I was told such room are fully occupied. Never mind, but later, little-bit disappointed while I come to know 'better rooms' were widely available. Lounge and breakfast was o.k. but definitely NOT as Westin or SPG standard. Very "poor guests relation service". Not only non-friendly, but also 'don't care and bother' attitude has been observed, throughout. I use to visit Singapore very often and have had experienced with a numbers of reputed hospitality chains hotels but my stay experience in the Westin was really disappointing. I had few more booking with the Westin, but all of them have cancelled because of.....!

Room Tip: Newly opened and have no choice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We sincerely apologize for the lapse of service and for any inconvenience caused during your recent stay with us. There is definitely room for improvements at our property and we will review and address these areas accordingly. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Singapore again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Terrible customer service....ever heard the customer is always right? And literally slowest check-in and check-out process ever seen at a Starwood location. How long has this place been open for? It seems like NO one was trained properly and had a clue as to what was going on. I'd also expect better English from the employees since the property is in Singapore. Would never go back and have told all of our friends not to either.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank TWE2014
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We truly apologize for any lapse of service or inconvenience caused during your recent stay with us and would like to assure you that we will certainly review and address the areas concerned. Meanwhile, we certainly look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Westin Singapore in the future.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my sister and brother in law in a double room and was pleasantly surprised at how lovely and luxurious the room was. We were upgraded to a high corner room on the 38th floor that had great views of the city (am a starwood gold member). The bed was a bit softer than the usual heavenly bed that's typical of Westins, but was comfortable nonetheless. Service was wonderful, we definitely felt pampered throughout our stay. Loved the close proximity to the Downtown MRT station and walking distance to the Marina/Bayshore area. The pool area was relaxing and comfortable as well. All in all, this hotel was one of the best Westins I've visited.

1  Thank E Y
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback and we are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay at The Westin Singapore.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

It was a great stay-cation with friends for 2days 1night during the eve of Christmas. It was a pleasure staying at The Westin Singapore and as it has just opened recently, I got the special deal at 50% off for the room stay. Definitely worth the stay with the promotion and love the spaciousness and the cleanliness of the room! The bathroom was indeed superb with lots of space too! As a SPG member, I also got double the points for booking hence do look out for such deals on their website. Thank you for the great service and it will be lovely if the promotion do include free breakfast for 2 though.

Room Tip: Do request for good view to have a great look at Singapore's cityscape especially during night t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank CraneHan

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back for your next staycation at The Westin Singapore.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Having heard about the reentry of Westin into Singapore's hotel scene, I was eager to give the hotel a try. The first issue and one of the most glaring is the location, being in the middle of the CBD makes it more convenient for the business crowd and less so for the average tourist, especially on weekends, where that part of the city is rather lifeless. To Westin's credit, they do provide a shuttle service to Marina Bay Sands. Being a very new hotel, many taxi drivers/delivery guys are not familiar with its location at Asia Square Tower 2, many are still of the impression that Swissotel Stamford is still run by Westin.

Overall the hotel looks very modern but the management might wish to turn down the air conditioning a little as the general areas of hotel felt rather cold throughout my stay. I must say that the rooms are decent but I was underwhelmed. Although spacious, some of the space seemed poorly used. The wardrobe could have been better designed, even if it was functional. The work/desk area is decent and my room had a good view of MBS and the Singapore Flyer. The hotel has a decent range of entertainment on the TV but I was surprised to find that some local channels were unavailable. Kudos to them for having ASN, allowed me to get my NFL fix. The bed is as promised, heavenly and the sheets were very comfortable, excellent pillows too.

The bathroom was a tad odd in design, a rather large and unused space right to the left of the bathroom and sinks that should have been better designed. The taps are too close to the edge of the sink and it is virtually impossible to wash one's hands or basically use the faucet without getting the surrounding areas all wet. The flush on the toilet is rather odd as it has a half-flush and normal flush feature like most do these days but the normal flush never worked too well, one would have to press and hold for it to flush properly. Perhaps it's an environmentally friendly feature that I was unaware about. The tub is rather deep, which is good for a soak, as is the view. The biggest disappointment though was the water pressure. Considering that it will most probably serve as a business/meetings hotel, the water pressure was very weak and to top if off, it took about 5 mins to running the water on hot/warm setting before it finally turned hot/warm. The towels might need to be worked on to as it seemed to be shedding some of the cotton.

Breakfast was not too bad and they had a good range of juices and decent selection of food. I was a tad upset during my departure as well, having gone down to the arrival lobby, no one offered to help with my bags till after I went to wait for a cab. Unfortunately, just a minute after I came down, I noticed 2 caucasian guests exit the elevator and the same staff who ignored me immediately went over and offered to assist with their luggages etc. I was not pleasant to see the staff choose which guests they wanted to help. Perhaps they expected that caucasians would tip better. Fortunately there was a young bellman who was kind enough to assist me and to offer me solutions when I couldn't get a cab. Unfortunately I didn't get his name but I was most grateful and I'd like to think that most of the staff are like him.

Overall the new Westin is a decent hotel but there are a number of issues to be worked on, especially considering the price they charge per night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Daryllee84
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Your feedback is very valuable and we wish to apologize for the lapse of service you have encountered during your recent stay with us. Despite being new, we are always looking into ways that can further enhance our product and services to enable our guests to enjoy their stay better. It is through comments such as yours that will allow us to review the areas concerned and focus on any adjustments or training required. Once again our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and we certainly look forward to having you back again at The Westin Singapore. Thank you!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Great location to access cruise ship. Quiet location with easy access to crazy busy Marina Bay sands Hotel and shops. Brand new hotel with a couple of teething problems. Reception staff were a little inexperienced. Nice pool, gym. Beautiful bed and linens. Good bathroom, however glass toilet door seems a bit peculiar and easy to walk into.
Breakfast and internet included in tariff. Buffett was OK. Bar areas were extremely noisy and was impossible to find a quiet nook. Adjacent restaurants in food mall are still being opened.

Room Tip: A lot of building and road construction are going on. Therefore the higher up you are the better. We...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

We truly appreciate your feedback and will continue to focus on further improvements, strive to achieve excellence in these areas so as to ensure that our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived. Thank you!