“terrible service”

Ranked #36 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
“terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

called my last name wrongly for serval times, don't know how come a 5 star hotel could not do the such basic thing right.
requested refill complementary bottle water and get 2 when I asked for 3.
the worst part is the service attitude is really cold and not friendly.
I won't stay there any more and suggest not to do so.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Josephwei
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
We apologize for addressing you by the wrong family name and will certainly reinforce the importance of recognizing our guests by their names correctly in our training. We are also sorry for the lapse of service resulting in you not having sufficient bottled water as requested. We will certainly address these issues and hope to be able to offer you a team with excellent service when you next return to stay with us. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

With the spate of poor reviews for this property I was a little concerned with moving from the Conrad to the Westin. My concerns were unfounded, The Westin Singapore is a Westin in every sense, impeccably presented, great service, comfortable rooms and good food. I travel a fair bit and stay at many hotels, SPG are my preferred chain and now that there is a Westin in Singapore, I have no reason to go anywhere else...it is handy to my office too :)

I have no doubt the negative reviews were related to teething issues and were probably painted negatively due to the way the reviewer saw them. Here's my view:
Service - No issue, the front desk, and all other staff were courteous, professional and spoke English well (their English is better than my Mandarin)
Construction noise - Sure, there is construction, it is not loud even at the peak during the day. If you want to be annoyed by it I am sure you will be annoyed. I was at the Conrad when they were working on Suntec and the noise is comparable. They are not working at night.
Location - For business it is great, very close to the Financial district, close to marina and my work. Asia Square has good food places, but not a lot of shops...it is a business district. Honestly, if you are in Singapore and you do not go to Orchard Road for shopping or Sentosa for fun or Raffles for a Singapore Sling or the Zoo or Clarke Quay or the F1 track or the Merlion or go on the Flyer or Marina Bay or or or...well, you are really just staying at any hotel in any city. Singapore is not that big and all the attractions are fairly close. Jump in a very cheap taxi or walk the 200m to Downtown station and get on a train.

The Westin Singapore is a great hotel for what it is, a high-class hotel in a business district that is humming with growth. It's not a Disney Resort and it is not a secluded Rainforest escape. The very minor issues I have with it are the water pressure is a bit low (I like hard showers) and the Green Choice seems to be a bit hit-and-miss (nothing that can;t be fixed with a quick phone call though).

The biggest plus for me is the fact it is new and there is no smoking anywhere in the hotel. At the older Asian hotels, even though they are 'no smoking' there is still a smell everywhere and it really gets to me. Here the air is fresh and I get a great night sleep without waking with a cough or smelling like a cigarette.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we are already fixing the hot water pressure to ensure the temperature is consistent. We are really happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and agree that our hotel location is very convenient. We certainly look forward to having you with us again in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

As regular Singapore visitors we have made it a habit of staying at a different 5 star hotel each time. Thankfully we have the choice of many. The Westin Singapore proved to be one of the better ones we have stayed at. FIrst its location at the Asia Square Tower in Marina Bay is a great location. If you want to catch the MTR the new Downtown station is less than a 5 minute walk. We often get a taxi as they are so cheap and can drop you right at the door of where you want to go.

We had a 36th floor location with great views of Singapore Harbour.It is a good size room and the bed was is the most comfortable we have ever slept in. The bathroom is large with a bath, separate shower with a rain shower head and is a large bathroom.

Breakfast is excellent with a large spread of foods, an egg chef and the pastries were delicious.

We had drinks in the lobby lounge on the 32nd floor again with very comfortable seating and great views. Our drinks were well made.

The staff at this hotel were 6 star. I have to mention Amber Zhou at reception/check in and Erol K in the breakfast area as particularly outstanding with their service.

We could not fault any staff member and were just so pleased with the efficiency, politeness and friendliness of this team.

The only minor quibble was a lack of a cocktail list at the lounge bar however we were able to order what we wanted and they were made perfectly.

Wi fi is free if it wasn't previously.

Thank you Westin for a perfect stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind feedback for Errol and Amber as they are role models for our team definitely. More importantly, we are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and had enjoyed the wonderful view our hotel has to offer. We hope to have you staying with us again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have stayed in many SPG properties and many Westin hotels over the years and this is one of the best. Whether you like the location will depend if you are wanting to be in the Orchard / Scott's Road area (in which case this may be a disappointment) or near the Central Business District (in which case the location is great!) The ground floor entrance to the hotel is in a large and imposing skyscraper and it may take a couple of seconds to orientate to find the call button on the elevator bank. Small hint; look for what appear to be Chinese cabinets by the elevator doors and you are on the right track. Next stop is the 32nd floor to check in. Having arrived nearly seven hours late due to an ANA Dreamliner deciding to become unserviceable (again) I was delighted that I was through check in and on my way to my room on the 42nd floor before one could say "wow ... what a view from the lobby bar"!! The room was terrific. Large, modern, very well equipped with a wonderful view of the tankers laying off shore and the container terminal. I found it fascinating others may hate it! The bathroom had a free standing bathtub and separate rain shower and with plenty of toiletries. There was plenty of storage space, a good sized work desk and the ubiquitous "Heavenly Bed" that remains the best hotel bed in the world. Room service was excellent. Prompt, no mistakes and very welcoming. I can also highly recommend the gym, particularly of you like stationary bikes that have videos of rides in France. Try the Col de Colombiers ... fun!!!! The staff were superb. From the front desk to room service, house cleaners and bar personnel, everyone of them had a great attitude, were warm and welcoming and clearly tying to make the hotel a standout success ... and it worked!! I didn't try any of the restaurants and given that Singapore has some of the best cuisine in the world who cares!! I stuck to room service for breakfast and I couldn't fault it at all. I will be back in Singapore in a couple of months time and will be going back to the Westin. I don't think the sparkle will wear off for a long time!

Room Tip: Te infinity swimming pool is great! Take your bathing gear!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and really delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the fantastic view from the hotel lobby, as well as the choice of food being offered and services provided by our team here at The Westin Singapore. We will certainly continue to exceed our guests' expectations and ensure that our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived. It is great to have you with us and we definitely look forward to your return!
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

I'm a SPG regular and have been waiting for the Westin Singapore to open with anticipation. For Starwood regulars, the Sheraton is disappointing and the W on Sentosa, though a beautiful property, is marred by appalling service standards.

The Westin puts a lot of this right. Having stayed in many newly opened hotels, I was pleasantly surprised to find the Westin staff on top form, friendly and very understanding of us frequent travellers.

The rooms are well thought out, though the views are not as impressive as those from other central hotels, like Oriental and Pan Pacific. Many of the rooms face the ocean, which includes a view of the container port and the ongoing construction in between. The bay view is nicer but partly blocked by intervening buildings. The fact that the hotel starts on floor 32 helps, but in Singapore most of the surrounding buildings are going to be at least the same height.

The food needs to be improved. The room service food quality is very mediocre. There's no excuse for that in a 5-star hotel. Breakfast is good in both the main restaurant and lounge.

The hotel bar is great - high ceilings, not too busy, comfortable sofas and a great view. Visit the bar even if you don't stay in the hotel.

I'm sure the hotel will get a few of the room kinks ironed out in the months ahead (eg water tends to come out of the shower and flood the bathroom, a few wood panels need refixing inside the wardrobe), but the inital impression was good so I'm going to give it another go.

For those of you looking to get a company rate - they seem pretty unyielding on pricing. If you need a good value rate for your company, I'd recommend negotiating with Pan Pacific or Hilton instead - you'll get a much better discount for your company.

Room Tip: Bay view better than an ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
We have received your feedback and are really delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Will certainly look into the food variety and the quality as mentioned by you and work with our Executive Chef to address this issue. Thank you and we look forward to your next stay!
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

And so, after months of deliberating, my trip to Singapore finally happened. In spite of my plans to spend only two days in the Concrete Jungle, I was excited to try out the brand new Westin and get 2-nights worth of some quality sleep in their signature bed. I was not let down.

The hotel itself feels like a freshly unwrapped Christmas gift – exciting, new, with so many features to explore; the rooms are so new I almost felt bad sitting on that adorable little stool that complimented the lounge chair so perfectly. If the check in staff had told me I was upgraded, I would not have doubted it for a second, as the Premium Sea View room happened to have a smart layout, was beyond spacious and well lit. The bathroom was splendid and opulent, dominated by very pleasant nuances of beige, white and black – very classy, and had the lavatory and walk in shower nicely separated from the rest of the bathroom. The amenities obviously adhered to the Westin standards applied worldwide, and trust me when I say there are only a few things better than applying their White Tea Aloe lotion and getting all bundled up in a bathrobe in front of the TV after a long day of strolling down the Orchard Road.

Speaking of which, I was impressed by the entertainment option on offer; yes, you do have to pay for the movies, but the fact you can have a look at your bill anytime you want to without having to make a call to the Front Desk, or can consult Google Maps from the comfort of your bed means a whole awful lot to a frequent traveller.

Gym was modern and functional overlooking the harbour with thoughtful accessories provided such as headphones for instance; the infinity pool was nice and breezy, though I felt that massive empty space could be much better utilized.

Now let’s talk about the service.

Both check in and check out were swift and smooth, though the former could have been a lot more informative. During the course of my stay, I caught myself trying to spot the compendium and look out for some of the most basic information about the hotel (e.g. breakfast, dining options, location of the pool etc.) which I could have been informed upon arrival. Staff was very friendly for the most part, but it appeared that a few were in need of more training; for instance, I encountered a pleasant staff member in the elevator and inquired on which floor one of the hotel restaurants was, but their apologetic “I don’t know, I’m from a different department’’ is not what the guest needs to hear. This happened twice.
Again, not a big issue in terms of overall experience, but a glitch that differentiates good hotel from outstanding and something that could easily be fixed provided that the staff receives adequate training.

Nevertheless, Anny from Seasonal Tastes, Naveed from Front Desk and all of the Bellmen encountered were rather charming and energetic individuals. Anny was beyond attentive and friendly, yet unintrusive; Naveed, bless him, bolted down from the 32nd floor to stop me from leaving to the airport without a bag of my precious teas I forgot in the hotel, and the charming Bellmen sincerely greeted me whenever I would come in and out of the building.

The observations above were made solely in order to help this hotel maximize its potential, as it could easily become one of Singapore’s greatest gems. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at yet another great Westin property and am looking forward to returning here and seeing service get a little bit more polished.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in our Premier Sea View Room and that the Westin Heavenly Bed, as well as in-room amenities met with your expectations. We will certainly share the positive comments you have for Anny, Naveed and the bellmen who are definitely the role models for the rest of the team. Thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay again.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed at The Westin for 2 nights with 2 other family members.

Pros:
- New hotel
- Big room with good views as it's a high building
- Location good as close to the infinity pool hotel area

Cons:
- WIFI ISNT COMPLIMENTARY. Which I am pretty shocked as it's a new hotel and I have never been to a hotel where you had to pay... was very disappointed
- Expensive
- A walkable distance to the train station
- The staff don't seem trained well enough. They are nice but they not knowledge-able about their hotel system yet. (reward points etc)
- I don't like the shower bottles (which is a problem I have with all Westin hotels). They are really hard to squeeze the content out and the lotion isn't moisturizing enough.

Conclusion:
- If you have lots of money then you can think about staying here. Otherwise I believe there are other hotel options that are cheaper but still good.

Room Tip: Rooms have different views. Ask the staff to show you each room before deciding.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback and we will definitely address the issues highlighted. We certainly hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Westin Singapore for your next stay.