“Outstanding hotel, just outside of CBD”

The Westin Singapore
Ranked #37 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Grand Cayman
“Outstanding hotel, just outside of CBD”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have always struggled to find good business hotels in Singapore, but I was very pleased with the Westin. Large comfortable rooms, well appointed, helpful staff. It is pretty central (Asia Square), although it is about on the edge of where you would want to walk to the CBD from in the Singaporean heat. Food is pretty good. Gym is pretty good by hotel standards. WiFi could be better, but is well within spec. Pricing was not cheap, but better than average by Singaporean standards (hotel costs can be brutal in Singapore).

Probably not an ideal hotel for those staying on family holidays. The Asia square area is a bit sterile and you have to fight traffic to get to any touristy spots, but a very good and welcome alternative for business travellers.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Rhone_Man
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you have enjoyed both the facilities and services during your stay with us. We wish to advise that the Downtown MRT Station is located very near to our hotel and you may consider using this mode of transport on your next trip as it is really very convenient and brings you around Singapore including the places of interest. Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I often go to Singapore and depending on what business I have there generally stay at the Ritz Carlton or Fullerton. On my most recent trip, earlier this week, I opted to stay at the Westin, which is only a few months old.

The good news:
- Reception is on the 32/F and so all the rooms have a good sea view (although not sure if this will be the case in a few years as it's clear there is a lot of building going on);
- The rooms are large and the bathroom nearly as large as the sleeping area;
- The quality of the bed/linens is amazing... probably the most comfortable bed I've slept in;
- The décor is simple and understated with clean lines. The lighting is excellent but I was surprised to see that more electrical outlets were not in evidence. I have a computer, IPad and two cell phones and don't think I am unusual in this regard;
- There is a good magnifying mirror and excellent hair dryer;
- The amenities, e.g., toothbrush, soap, shampoo, etc. were plentiful (but rather ordinary);
- The desk staff was great - picked up the phone right away and always very helpful.

Now, the not-so-good news:

I know it's a new hotel and inevitably there are teething pains. In this case I think that the Housekeeping staff needs some work. There is nothing more maddening on a business trip than to have to stop and call for something that should have been done automatically, e.g., I got back to my room in the evening and found that the tray and coffee I had ordered early in the morning was still sitting on the desk even though the room had been made up; there is supposed to be turn-down service but this had not been done by 8 PM; the housekeeping staff neglected to leave a bath mat after making up the room and also did not replace the laundry bag that I had used to send something out that day.

But the biggest disappointment was the food... overall, the quality is really pretty bad. I had lunch twice in the more casual restaurant. I've lived in Asia for years and the food I had was neither good Asian or good western food.
- The "salad bar" was a paltry mix mostly comprised of some rather bland and limp greens.
- The cheese selection that was put out was sad looking. There were other cheeses under wraps and behind glass which one could see but no service staff to ask to serve them.
- The hot items were just so-so - a lot of fried food or veggies in a lot of sauce/oil.
- The roast chicken (my favorite) was completely flavorless and what was supposed to be tandoori chicken LOOKED like tandoori chicken but was not only lacking in flavor but was also very dry.
- The sushi was pretty average with a very limited array.
- Perhaps most distressing was that one of the servers on the line had dirt under his nails... just hope he was not the person making the sushi!
- Believe it or not, there is no Caesar salad on any menu... personally I think this is like a hotel that doesn't serve eggs.

The Executive Floor - wow, they really got this one wrong! It is on the 35/F and when you step off the lift there is a desk but it turns out this is for the gym/spa (and there is a distinct "scent" of gym as you get off the lift). I had several meetings there and each of my guests commented that it was very confusing to approach the desk only to find out it was not for the Executive area. To get there one has to turn left off the lift and wind down a kind of dark corridor before finding the Executive lounge which one can access only with a key card. Again, the food selection there was disappointing: bland, bland, bland. They also offered only one type of red wine and one type of white; even an airline lounge offers a selection!

I think the Housekeeping issue is a pretty quick fix with training. The food issue will take longer to improve upon. A friend of mine who had stayed here commented that she had ended up going to some of the food outlets near the hotel but I don't feel someone should have to leave a 5-Star hotel to find a decent meal.

Even if I have business in this part of town I won't be going back... love the size of the rooms and the view but they do not make up for the poor food quality and Executive floor lounge.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Christine H
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you have enjoyed the spectacular view from our hotel, the spacious room and our signature Westin Heavenly Bed. We would like to apologize for the lapse of service by our Housekeeping Team and will certainly look into the cleaning standards and reinforce the training for this area. As for the turndown service, we are providing them upon guests' requests in support of our "Make A Green Choice" Program which is part of our green initiatives to reduce water and energy waste. We are very concerned with your comments pertaining to the food quality and variety at our restaurants and will certainly address this issue with our Chef and the F&B Team. Thank you for taking the time to share and hope that we will be able to welcome you back again in the near future.
singapore
Reviewed 5 March 2014

With the name Westin comes expectations.
When such expectations aren't met, comes disappointment.

This serves as a good business hotel not so much for family.
Location wise - its within the business area of town and thus not much happenings or places to go if you would like to shop/ wonder around.

the good
Pool - Nice & clean with a spectacular view
Room - Comfy bed & pillows. Small glitch that they did not provide enough toiletries for the number of people in the room but housekeeping was prompt with their service.
Check in - fast & was a breeze

the bad
breakfast - spread not that fantastic. cheese had edges which are dried up. Doesn't look fantastic. Had to call for coffee twice before it was served. Cleaning up of table quite slow despite a not very busy morning.

dinner - spread not too bad but can be better. fruits (watermelon & pineapple) was spoilt! Cleaning of table was very prompt. Service was better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for any inconvenience caused during your recent stay with us. We have noted your comments regarding the food quality and service at our restaurants and will definitely address these issues with our Chef and F&B Team, as well as reinforce service training for our associates working in these areas. We apologized for any inconvenience caused and look forward to welcoming you back again!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is a new hotel at the Marina at a very convenient location. The staff was top-notch. They were able to use Platinum status to arrange for my parents' access to Executive Lounge. The building itself sits at the top of office towers so the view is magnificent.

However, the regular restaurant offers few choices, and improvement will be welcome. Also, the rooms provide these annoying hair dryers which are difficult to use, and you cannot plug them into the power outlets in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Make sure the hair dryers work. I had to change a couple.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank xieziqi
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Yes the view from our hotel is indeed spectacular with the check-in reception on 32nd floor; the one and only in Singapore. You will also be delighted to know that we have relocated the hairdryers to the bathroom so that it is now so much more convenient for our guests to use. We will definitely look into the food variety we have at our F&B venues so as to be able to provide more options to our guests in future. Thank you for your valuable feedback and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again!
La Quinta, California
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This is a new Westin built on reclaimed land in the marina district . It's within walking distance if you want to explore the huge Marina Bay Sands hotel and gardens and a short distance from the "center " of town . Beautiful new subway station is only one block away . Being brand new...they are still getting the BUGS out. Ex: lobby didn't have license to exchange my Us Dollars for Singapore currency, no where to plug in hair dryer in bath room, etc...all little things nothing major.
Hotel is on higher floors of an office high rise. I would definitely consider this a "business mans hotel". The rooms are beautiful and bright.. Beds were super comfortable. Stunning contemporary decor thru-out the hotel. Concierge staff was super helpful and friendly. A Big plus during week was right outside the hotel door was a large food court with numerous fast foods and very nice sit down restaurants geared towards the business community so big lunch crowds and after work happy hour . Only problem was Nothing Was Open on Sunday so hotel was only choice for breakfast without walking or cabbing it elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iluvhawaii-6
Thank you for your feedback and happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We truly apologized for any inconvenience caused with regards to the foreign currency exchange and would like to advise that the hairdryers are being relocated to the bathroom so that it is more convenient for our guests to use. It is through comments such as yours that will enable us to further enhance our product and services so as to be able to meet with our guests' expectations. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Singapore!
Bladensburg, Maryland
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I'm here for just one night before a cruise - I did Starwood cash & points and got a great deal on a GREAT hotel. Service is excellent -- starting with their pre-check in e-mail I received 2 days ago confirming my reservation, etc. I took a $9 hotel shuttle from the airport which was met by a very pleasant bell boy when it pulled into the driveway. Grace registered me and was also very cheerful and helpfu!-- showing me where the restaurant is, offering to help tomorrow with a taxi to the port, and even accompanying me and the bell boy to my room to show me how to use the key in the elevator and my room door. She upgraded my room without my asking. The introductory message on the hotel channel on the tv was personalized with my first name. The room, itself, is a bit tight, but the bath -- the bath more than makes up for the room. Separate shower, enclosed toilet, dual counter-top sinks, vanity with stool, very well-lit, a huge window with pull-down shade, and a bathtub that is truly the piece de resistance. I NEVER take baths -- I'm a shower person, but this tub is oval, over-size (I'm too tall for most tubs, but not this one), free-standing, with railing (to assist getting out safely -- big concern for us as we age, and perfectly-placed small table top. I immediately decided to climb in with a glass of wine that I could rest on the table top while I soaked. As the bath was running, I walked back into the room and picked up a notecard on the bed -- it was a recipe for a Singapore sling. I haven't had one of those in years, but this is my first time in Singapore -- you can bet I'll follow up on this lead. The spa services sound very tempting to me after too many hours on a plane -- if I have time tomorrow, I may treat myself. The large outdoor pool is beneath my window wirth night swimmers, so it must be heated. I'm so very sorry I'm only here for one night. I took a chance ordering the crocque madame (feminine of the French classic croque monsieur) from room service -- it was WONDERFUL! Every bite. As it came with a microwave sort of warmer, I'm saving most of it for breakfast. I'm writing this review in the comfy, snowy white king bed & just got up to use the toilet & found another 'we've thought of everything' surprise. You know how the first night in a stange hotel room, you leave a light on to help you find the bathroom in the middle of the night, but it's always too bright & hurts your eyes. The Westin has a tiny dim light in the ceiling at the back of the toilet -- just enough light to direct you without glaring. Finally, I can see a cruiseship from my 40th floor window. It would be just great if it's my ship -- I'll find out tomorrow.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank HappyCamper821
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Your feedback is valuable to us and we are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. Wishing you a wonderful cruise journey and certainly look forward to your return; hopefully for a longer stay the next time so that you get to experience more of The Westin Singapore. Thank you!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Pros:
- Brand new building, hotel lobby & rooms on high floors.
- Chic and pleasant common areas.
- Modern and tastefully decorated room, and good size for standard room.
- Amazing view of Chinatown from 40th floor room.
- Good shower pressure.
- Staff is kind and eager.
- Super convenient location.
- 24hr shower available (super helpful for my 2AM flight).

Cons:
- Cab drivers unaware of hotel, and often confused at how to get to Asia Square.
- Staff will get more polished in time. For example, when I asked if they had a nice room available, staff apologized. She should have said you have a beautiful room on the 40th floor, and used positive answer.
- No way to use hairdryer in front of a mirror, but there was a note that they are installing hairdryers in bathrooms.
- Bathroom is not the most functional/efficient use of space, but gorgeous.
- Mattress not as heavenly as I expected.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pocmonster
We truly appreciate your feedback and happy to hear that you have enjoyed the spectacular view from our hotel. We are working closely with the taxi companies to familiarize their drivers on the hotel location and also in the midst of relocating the hairdryers to the bathroom area. Your comments are really important to us and will certainly help us to further enhance our facilities and services. Thank you and we look forward to your return!