“First impression of Westin”

The Westin Singapore
Ranked #38 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“First impression of Westin”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

It was my first time stepping into the new Westin. My friends and I decided to try Seasonal Tastes for lunch. As soon as we entered the lobby, we were greeted very warmly by the Lobby Ambassador, Mr Shaik. When he found out it was our first visit, he personally brought us up to the restaurant. Along the way, he gave a brief introduction of the hotel, its interior design and the beautiful lounge. Mid-way through lunch, while running an errand on the same floor, Mr Shaik came by and asked if everything was ok. At the end of our wonderful lunch, while walking towards the lobby exit, Mr Shaik came forward to thank us for coming to Westin and hope to see us again. The first and last impressions are the most important. My friends and I were totally impressed by the hospitality of Mr Shaik and the food quality of Seasonal Tastes. We will return!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank David T
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your dining experience at Seasonal Tastes, as well as the positive comments you have for Shaik Shidek, our Lobby Ambassador. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again to The Westin Singapore and maybe you might want to visit our specialty restaurant, Cook & Brew located at Level 33 on your next trip.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I had an opportunity to dine at Seasonal Tastes during Easter. The food was remarkable and the service excellent. What was even more impressive was the warm welcome offered by this gentleman by the name of Shaik at the ground floor of the hotel. He had escorted us to the restaurant but we were drawn by his sincerity and welcoming smile. At the end of our meal, we again encountered Shaik who remembered us from a few hours ago and bade us a fond farewell by thanking us for choosing to dine at the Westin Singapore. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank CCHSingapore
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your dining experience at Seasonal Tastes during Easter. We truly appreciate your positive comments for Shaik Shidek, our Lobby Ambassador and will definitely share them with Shaik personally, as well as the team. Thank you for recommending our hotel to your friends and we certainly look forward to welcoming you and your guests to The Westin Singapore again.
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Westin is a very convenient and comfortable business hotel.

The front desk and hotel staff are very friendly and help a lot. I had a request for an early checkin and the hotel was kind enough to accommodate me without any extra charge.

The availability of cabs is an issue though so make sure that you checkout at least 15-20 mins before you plan to leave for the airport ! I nearly missed my flight as there is always a long queue for cabs.

Room Tip: Go for higher floor for a better view !
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Vivek K
Thank you for your feedback and delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. We have noted your comments regarding the lack of taxis during peak hours and will definitely look into this issue with our Concierge Team. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Singapore again!
Paris, France
Reviewed 22 April 2014

To :The General Manager (Westin Singapore)

I was visiting a friend of mine staying in your lovely hotel with my wife and three kids .They were at the poolside enjoying themselves while i was in the gym with my friend . Then came a sudden heavy downpoure and my family were all stucked by the pool sheltered area . I asked help from the banquet team who were standing by their meeting room on the same level to assist my family back to the lift landing area . Without hesistetion , they took with them umbrelllas and in their suits walking in the rain to bring my family back safely to the lift landing . This shows their professionalism in willing to offer assistance when guests are in need . I did not get to know their names all but i was really touched by all your kindness . Great Job !! I will certainly come to The Westin Singapore again .

Sincères salutations

Mexes Lopez

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mexes_L5
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted to hear that our Banquet Team had managed to assist you and your family during the raining incident at the pool. We are also happy to hear that you will be returning to stay with us again and certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family in the future!
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Made several visits for drinks, dinner and lunches...all good. Food quality is there, pricing not exorbitant...most importantly the service staff are immaculate..well mannered, service oriented and serves with a smile :) .. which is not a given in the F&B scene here. Well done!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Lance_J_Ourednik, General Manager at The Westin Singapore, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback and delighted to hear that you have enjoyed Cook & Brew. We certainly look forward to your continuous support and welcoming you back to The Westin Singapore again and again!
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I just spent the Easter long weekend at the Westin Singapore.

Being SPG members, my husband and I decided to try out this new hotel and see what the new "Westin" in Singapore has to offer.

When I arrived at the main entrance to the building, my young daughter and I were greeted with smiles all round. It was a very pleasant entry into the hotel.

When I checked in, the hotel seemed to have some problems locating my reservation which I made through hotels.com. We are members of hotels.com and so this was a first - ie. having the hotel not being able to find the reservation. After some while, the reservation was found and we were brought up to my room by a bell boy by the name of Isfani. We had reserved a room with a sea view and when I went to check on that, I realised that they had not given us the room we asked for. Isfani helped me contact the check in counter and we went back down to get our keys swapped for the room with the sea view. When I entered the new room, the lights did not come on. Isfani explained that there was probably something wrong with the motion sensor but then turned on the master switch. He then proceeded to call the technicians to tell them to fix the motion sensors. Again, I checked the view, and it was ok. It was a partial sea view at the very best, but the room did had a view of the pool and part of the Marina Bay. Isfani made sure we were ok and left. Whilst there were several hiccups during this process, I have to commend Isfani for staying with us till we were properly settled into our room. He was efficient in getting things sorted, he was proactive and polite the whole time and I say thumbs up to him.

Later on, my husband also remembered that we did not get the $50 dining credit that came with our room offer, and we had to ask the front desk for this again.

The room itself was nice and clean (being new, I would not have expected anything less). The room is of a good size and the toilet is very large. The bed was comfortable and we did have a good night's rest while we were there.

The device which which senses when the $7 mineral water bottle is lifted for more than 15 seconds and then will subsequently charge you for the water is however really impractical. For families travelling with children, you can see how easily children can just lift the bottle and then parents get charged. And whilst you likely can explain it away to the hotel, it is just too much of a hassle to get it sorted out. This I found to be incredibly unfriendly.

The food at Seasonal Taste was not fantastic. We went for their seafood buffet on Friday night and honestly, everything tasted rather bland. I've definitely tasted better stingray, squid and prawns at even the most average stall at Newton Hawker Centre. The soft shell crab chilli crab sauce really lacked umph and again I can think of so many more casual joints serving better sauce than that. My husband even felt that the sashimi served was not very fresh. The idea was right, the execution was poor. At breakfast, the same thing. Everything looked attractive but just did not taste great. I think the concepts are right and the hotel dinining does have lots of potential, but right now, it is just not delivering. We did however receive good service at the restaurant during both meals.

We would have liked to try Cook & Brew but did not have the opportunity this time round. The food looked reasonably price and prices of alcoholic beverages are very reasonable. $8 for a beer and $14 for a cocktail. We had drinks by the pool and the same prices were offered. We might go back to try Cook & Brew another time.

Overall, a pretty underwhelming experience. The hotel has all the right ingredients and has the potential to be a really good hotel. However, I think for now it needs to fix logistical issues with bookings and reservations (I heard a few others complaining upon check in and check out) as well as to improve on the quality of their food.

Right now this hotel is just an ordinary business hotel which does not really stand out from the rest in any way. When the Westin was the Westin Stamford prior to 2002, that name was synonomous with a great hotel, excellent service and a place people wanted to stay in. I think this new Westin has large shoes to fill and may take some time to realise its full potential.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share with us your feedback following your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologized for the lapse of service you have experienced and are delighted to receive the positive comments for Isfahani. As for Seasonal Tastes, we will certainly review the menu with our Executive Chef and improve on the food quality. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Singapore and hope you will get to enjoy Cook & Brew on your next visit. Thank you!
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed there in late March 2014 with Starwood Preferred points. So, I guess I shouldn't complain too much. Let's start with the good points. The room was very nice, large and well-appointed with Westin's "Heavenly Bed" truly heavenly.. The view of the harbor, if you don't concentrate on the construction site across the street, was quite nice. The infinity pool was pleasantly cool and long for lap swimming and had nice views, as well. The Club Lounge was great with excellent views, attentive staff and high quality food & beverages. for the complementary breakfast and Happy Hour. The exercise room was quite limited but it looks like they are doing some work that will improve it. I didn't try the spa but its prices seemed high. Having the entrance on the ground floor and the lobby on the 32nd was a bit awkward and it was difficult to get a taxi because of its out-of-the-way location. There was a taxi line about a block away as well as a nearby MRT underground station. Another annoyance was the long wait for operator pick-up. Since the hotel has only been open a few months, I assume that they'll get their act together eventually. My main suggestion is that, if you decide to stay there, you get a Club Room with Club Lounge access, especially if you are more than one person. TB

Room Tip: Get a Club Room on a high floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
We truly appreciate your valuable feedback and are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We will certainly look into the issues highlighted and address it with the team to improve these areas accordingly. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay at The Westin Singapore.