“Happy weekly stay”
Review of Somerset Bencoolen

Somerset Bencoolen
Ranked #121 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights and the hotel really makes you feel like home. They have everything you want from large fridge to oven and even chopsticks and strainer in the kitchen which really surprising me, thumbs up! Wifi reception within apartment earns another thumbs up. However, I think the apartment needs maintenance in the bathroom as I found water dripping from the ceiling but it didn't affect my happy stay. From my personally point of view, I think the warm white lighting could not satisfy the purpose of makeup and hair styling.

Without providing toothbrush and toothpaste is a good move to eco-friendly style.

Room Tip: Since MRT construction is expected to be completed in 2017, go for a room not facing Bencoolen Stree...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cynthia L, Manager at Somerset Bencoolen, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Wendy,

Thank you for taking time to write this delightful review! We are elated that we have successfully created the home away from home stay experience for you. Thank you for your detailed post on our facilities and services.We are truly elated that we have exceeded your expectations as we continuously strive in our efforts to provide the best in services and facilities for our guests.

Thank you for recognizing and supporting our eco-friendly initiatives. As most travellers would pack their personal toothbrush and preferred toothpaste with them, we have decided to minimise our use of plastics in our support to "Go Green". However, in the event that these items are required, our team members would be most pleased to purchase them.

We hope to welcome back in the near future!

Best regards,
Cynthia
Resident Relations Manager

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel with my 2 year old son, my wife and my mother in law. We got 2 large rooms next to eachother. The units were clean, and quite nice. Fully self contained with kitchens, which was great with a young child. The pool area on the roof was fantastic and the staff were very helpful and frindly.

The hotel is located in the middle of town and it is easy to get around from there to everywhere in Singapore.

Overall, I would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the construction site if you want a quiet room (there is a major train stat...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Jamie_SYD
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel from 11/11/13 to 14/11/13 and want to say thank you to manager Mei for her excellent service and the accomodations she provided. The room we had was quiet and without the construction noise some other reviewer complained about. .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cynthia L, Manager at Somerset Bencoolen, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Traveller,

My sincere apologies for being unable to reply in French.

Thank you for your writing this review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your 5 weeks stay with us and you have enjoyed the warm hospitality of our team. It is gratifying to know that our pleasant and homely ambience of our apartments has also successfully contributed to the comfort of your stay experience.

I note that you have found our utensils insufficient for proper food preparation. In consideration that we have residents who have their families accompanying them during their stay and that they may require more storage space for their food items, we have equipped our kitchens with the more commonly used utensils. However, I would like to advise you that we have a range of additional utensils and crockery in our inventory which can be made available to our residents upon request.

We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,
Cynthia
Resident Relations Manager

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed at Somerset Bencoolen in November for a month and I can just highly recommend to everyone. The front desk team is amazing. I had my birthday while I was staying there and on the day the receptionists started to sing the "Happy Birthday!" once I entered the property. It was such a nice surprise. The apartments are also very clean, the housekeeping team did a great job every time they cleaned my apartment. There is also a small gym to use and of course the swimming pool on the rooftop, where you have a nice view of the city and you can relax after a long day of work. The apartments have a kitchen as well so you can prepare your own food if you wish to do so. However the property is centrally located, so shopping malls, restaurants and supermarkets are available in walking distance.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed 4 nights here in early December in a 1 bedroom apartment. Having an apartment gives you just that bit extra space. We really liked it and would stay there again. Everything was clean, bed and pillows we're comfy. The power points in the kitchen didn't work on the first day which meant we couldn't make a cuppa, but after we reported it, it was fixed by the time were turned later in the day. The staff were very professional and extremely helpful. The hotel is close to cafés, small supermarket, subway station etc.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed at the Somerset Bencoolen for four nights. Overall I was pleased. The location was extremely good and the underground railway works in Bencoolen Street, while keeping the apartment tower a bit hidden, did not impact on us. Reception and room staff were without exception friendly, helpful and efficient. I appreciated the light breakfast included in our apartment tariff and the efforts made to change what was on offer from day to day. Internet service was great. The rooftop pool area was delightful and stylish. The apartment itself, 1210, was scrupulously clean and excellently maintained. While comfortable, the decor of the kitchen and lounge was, I thought, a little tired and basic given the tariff that we paid. The range of kitchen equipment provided also appeared hit and miss, which was disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CanberraSteve38
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is a well located serviced apartment with excellent and friendly service. We stayed with two small children - services for them include a child friendly pool, outdoors play area and toy room. There is a brand new Cold Storage supermarket in the PoMo mall behind the hotel, and it is an easy two minute walk from the MRT and buses. Within four blocks there is a wide range of well priced eateries and food courts, with lots of dining options, including Serangoon Road if you feel like Indian food! The breakfast every day was varied and perfectly adequate. The room servcicing was very good - the housekeepers were very creative in the way they displayed our kids toys for them every day!The MRT construction outside is noisy but if you have a room at the back, or higher up, you dont hear it at all. Taxis are directed into the onsite carpark, and it is no trouble. Very close to cultural attractions including the National Museum and the Singapore Art Museum, and a short walk to Raffles Hotel and Orchard Road if you feel like braving the heat... The front desk staff were always helpful, including arranging a tour to Malaysia legoland, and airport transfers. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: at the back, higher up
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank PsmithOfThePsmiths
rashidahmad, Manager at Somerset Bencoolen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear PsmithOfThePsmiths,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this positive review about Somerset Bencoolen.
We are absolutely thrilled to know that you and your family had enjoyed our apartment facilities and services. Indeed, due to our excellent location with easy access to surrounding lifestyle options and transport modes, Somerset Bencoolen has always been very popular with families.

We are very grateful that we have had this opportunity to host you and your family during your vacation in Singapore. Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at Somerset Bencoolen.

Warmest regards,