“Awesome Family Hotel / Apartment”
Review of Somerset Bencoolen

Somerset Bencoolen
Ranked #126 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed here last November 2012. The location of the hotel is very convenient to restaurants, bus stops, and train station. Very ideal for family since they offer 2 bedroom suite which is very spacious. They also have swimming pool, children's playground, play gym for younger kids. What I also liked about this small hotel is that they have kids utensils readily available during breakfast. Though, there are only a few selection for the breakfast buffet, you will surely get satisfied. And the selection of food is different everyday. Their staff are all very friendly and helpful in our inquiries and request. Definitely great value for our money!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SingleWorkingMom
Cynthia L, Manager at Somerset Bencoolen, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear SingleWorkingMum,

I am heartened to know that although your stay experience with us has been more than a year ago, you have such fond memories of your stay and are writing such a wonderful review about it. Thank you!

All of us appreciate your kind compliments on our service, facilities, children amenities and location. We certainly hope to welcome you and your family back soon.

Best regards,.
Cynthia Lim

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed here while the MRT was being built and after the initial shock of having a (albeit high) apartment overlooking the works with a adjoining door into the next apartment I was moved into another one and fell in love with the place. I was there for 8 weeks and would go back in an instant.
Clean and just so friendly. The apartment could do with a little modernising and having to pay for laundry was a little off but small things in the grand scheme of things.
Next door is a small karoake bar. Mainly for locals but if you show your face enough times you'll be playing electronic darts before you long.

Room Tip: Some rooms are only seperated by a door to accomodate families. I would ask if you are in one of th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Cynthia L, Manager at Somerset Bencoolen, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear MattLeRoss,

Thank you for staying with us at Somerset Bencoolen during your 8 weeks in our sunny island and for taking the time to write this wonderful review.

I am delighted that we have managed to provide you with an excellent stay experience despite your initial shock and that you have fallen in love with your home away from home. I am also pleased to know that you managed to acquaint yourself with new found friends to play electronic darts with, as this gives testament that we were indeed your comfortable home away from home!

Thank you for your kind compliments for our team's friendly and customer-centric service. The team is very heartened to know that they have contributed to your excellent stay experience.

Please visit us again should your travels bring you back to our sunny island.

Thank you.

Cynthia Lim

Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here with husband, two children and mum. We were in a two bed room apartment which was well suited to us. The apartments are a little older, but very clean with kitchen facility. The pool area is lovely overlooking the city. Close to MRT. Staff very friendly and helpful. Very good location would recommend.

Stayed: March 2014
Cynthia L, Manager at Somerset Bencoolen, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Virginia,

Thank you for writing this wonderful review and recommendation! It is indeed very gratifying to know that your family and you have found our service residence suitable for your vacation and that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your lovely compliments about our staff; this has brought such big smiles to their faces when they learnt about your compliments.

We sincerely hope to welcome all of you back again, should your travels bring you to Singapore!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights and the hotel really makes you feel like home. They have everything you want from large fridge to oven and even chopsticks and strainer in the kitchen which really surprising me, thumbs up! Wifi reception within apartment earns another thumbs up. However, I think the apartment needs maintenance in the bathroom as I found water dripping from the ceiling but it didn't affect my happy stay. From my personally point of view, I think the warm white lighting could not satisfy the purpose of makeup and hair styling.

Without providing toothbrush and toothpaste is a good move to eco-friendly style.

Room Tip: Since MRT construction is expected to be completed in 2017, go for a room not facing Bencoolen Stree...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cynthia L, Manager at Somerset Bencoolen, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Wendy,

Thank you for taking time to write this delightful review! We are elated that we have successfully created the home away from home stay experience for you. Thank you for your detailed post on our facilities and services.We are truly elated that we have exceeded your expectations as we continuously strive in our efforts to provide the best in services and facilities for our guests.

Thank you for recognizing and supporting our eco-friendly initiatives. As most travellers would pack their personal toothbrush and preferred toothpaste with them, we have decided to minimise our use of plastics in our support to "Go Green". However, in the event that these items are required, our team members would be most pleased to purchase them.

We hope to welcome back in the near future!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel with my 2 year old son, my wife and my mother in law. We got 2 large rooms next to eachother. The units were clean, and quite nice. Fully self contained with kitchens, which was great with a young child. The pool area on the roof was fantastic and the staff were very helpful and frindly.

The hotel is located in the middle of town and it is easy to get around from there to everywhere in Singapore.

Overall, I would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the construction site if you want a quiet room (there is a major train stat...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Jamie_SYD
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel from 11/11/13 to 14/11/13 and want to say thank you to manager Mei for her excellent service and the accomodations she provided. The room we had was quiet and without the construction noise some other reviewer complained about. .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Traveller,

My sincere apologies for being unable to reply in French.

Thank you for your writing this review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your 5 weeks stay with us and you have enjoyed the warm hospitality of our team. It is gratifying to know that our pleasant and homely ambience of our apartments has also successfully contributed to the comfort of your stay experience.

I note that you have found our utensils insufficient for proper food preparation. In consideration that we have residents who have their families accompanying them during their stay and that they may require more storage space for their food items, we have equipped our kitchens with the more commonly used utensils. However, I would like to advise you that we have a range of additional utensils and crockery in our inventory which can be made available to our residents upon request.

We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed at Somerset Bencoolen in November for a month and I can just highly recommend to everyone. The front desk team is amazing. I had my birthday while I was staying there and on the day the receptionists started to sing the "Happy Birthday!" once I entered the property. It was such a nice surprise. The apartments are also very clean, the housekeeping team did a great job every time they cleaned my apartment. There is also a small gym to use and of course the swimming pool on the rooftop, where you have a nice view of the city and you can relax after a long day of work. The apartments have a kitchen as well so you can prepare your own food if you wish to do so. However the property is centrally located, so shopping malls, restaurants and supermarkets are available in walking distance.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business