“Very bad service”

Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay
Ranked #55 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have stayed in many holiday inn express in Europe. Hotel look better than Europe one.but service standards really lack. Staff really need some training.

I have been waiting for a long time to check in. Security not even bothered to help with luggage or taxi. Rooms very small compared with other hotels.

I would rather pay little extra and stay at holiday inn atrium.

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank febin1234
SingaporeClarkeQuay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Febin1234

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review us, I was disappointed to read your experience with us and in particular the time to check in. The hotel does provide self service luggage trollies which are guests can use and take to their rooms.

We are a select service Hotel and the Holiday Inn Express concept aims to provide our guests with a hassle-free stay with the comfort and convenience of great rooms, great location, free Express start Breakfast & free Wi-Fi - all at a value price.

I am sorry that you did not feel this brand was for you, but thank you for your loyalty for staying within the IHG family.

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (2,074)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This indeed is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Beautiful location, friendly staff and good breakfast. The room provided us good comfort, to peel off all the tiredness we had. This is at just 10 mins distance from the nearest MRT - Clarke Quay. If you wish to take a boat ride, the Clarke Quay boat boarding point too is nearby. The only complaint I have is with respect to the ladies washroom near the lobby. This was not clean when my wife walked in to freshen herself up. May be you can provide a "how-to-use" guide for the thermostat, which I found a bit difficult to use.

Overall, a good, comfortable stay on offer, if you are willing to spend around 150$ per night.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms near the lift, could cause a problem for light sleepers.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
SingaporeClarkeQuay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Subramaniam_I

Thank you for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay and for giving a great review of 5 stars. I was delighted you enjoyed your stay, the team and thank you for the top tip to our other Tripadvisor fans about the boat trip. We are currently working on some instructions for the thermostat which should be in place very soon and please accept my apologies for the restroom cleanliness, these are cleaned regularly each day.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Beware that there is a large additional charge on top of this booking. A service charge of 10.5% was not clearly stated and tax.
The service was average. When asking for help I was passed off by staff and ignored, breakfast was average. The rooms were nice and the bed was comfy but walls are thin!
pool is amazing apart from the jacuzzi was broken and no one was up there to help.
Location is poor as it's far to go anywhere.
Nice stay but not worth the money

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
SingaporeClarkeQuay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Keeley B

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay and taking the time to review the Hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you weren't aware of the 10% service charge and 7% GST, this is clearly communicated in all our confirmations and is a standard throughout the whole of Singapore; I will check up on the jacuzzi as I am not quite sure when you stayed with us however this not been out of order for the last month plus.

I appreciate your comments on the rooms and the comfortable bed; being a Holiday Inn Express we do have the standard of bedding and comfort in the guest rooms as our full service brands.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Very good location, 10 mins walking to MRT, can walk to Clark Quay and China Town. Newly opened hotel, good facilities. But too many tourists and made breakfast supply insufficient. Also the room is quite small can be same as HK.

Room Tip: Don't choose the room near the elevator, very noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cherry C
SingaporeClarkeQuay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Cherry C

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay and taking the time to review us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the location; thank you for the five stars. Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We recently stayed here for 3 nights and honestly could not fault the place. The rooms are said to be small but it didn't feel that way. The staff were excellent. The location was great. The breakfast was more than adequate.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank twin068
SingaporeClarkeQuay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear twin068

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review us; I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and in particular your comment regarding the team being excellent.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Everything was new in this hotel with green concept thrown into it. The corridors at the room levels (2 - 7) are all outdoors, which is green considering saving having to have air condition along these corridors. The room was new but a tad small. Typical holiday inn express amenities without the minibar. Wash basin tap water is like a trickle (As they use the water filter to save water). A shower area without bath tubs. If you require additional amenities like shaver, you got to collect it at the reception like all other holiday inn express that I had stayed before. There are trolleys for you to push your bulky luggage to your room (typical of holiday inn express). Overall, it is a new and green hotel. With the price of close to SGD$200 (inclusive of taxes/charges), there may be other hotels that you may consider. Location is great as it is at clark quay and you can have lots of night activities (beer, drinking, eating) in that area. The entire hotel is wired up with wifi for up to 4 devices per room. It is also walking distance to china town and other tourist locations.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank TC N

Dear TC N

Thank you for your review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay. I am delighted you enjoyed the location of the Hotel and its proximity to Clarke & Robertson Quay.

The Hotel has been awarded Platinum status for Benchmark Green Awards in Singapore, and with some of our features such as external corridors we help to reduce the environment impact in a small way.

Holiday Inn Express is a select service hotel that offers you everything you need and nothing you don't; whilst we don't have bathtubs we have a rain shower and a 3 phase shower in the bathrooms; the fridges are provided in the rooms for you to keep your own items should you require this - all our rates also include free WIFI and free Express Start Breakfast giving you extra value especially with WIFI as you can use a number of devices at the same time all inclusive.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Planned my stay here at Holiday Inn Express Clark Quay to fulfill my BIG WIN promotion but was mislead by the staff and I failed to qualify for it. Corresponded with the IHG rewards via email but they refusing to share the fault of their staff and I was forced to swallow this failure on my own. Upon paying, the staff retained my credit card as I made my way to the airport. I had to make a u turn to collect my credit card which was very much inconvenient. I'm planning to switch to another group of hotel operators (probably Hilton, Concorde or Pan Pacific) because I'm sure pissed with how IHG handled my case here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank klyong2502

Dear klyong2502

Thank you for your review about your experience with us, I am very sorry to read your comments and disappointed I was not able to speak with you prior to your departure and understand about the communication you had with our IHG Rewards membership centre. I would be grateful if you could contact me so I can further investigate with our corporate office on this issue. Please could you contact me via info.sincq@ihg.com