“Mixed opinion”

Ranked #53 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
“Mixed opinion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Lets get the negatives out of the way first. The hotel would be ideal for folk who only want a very short stay...hence, Holiday Inn 'EXPRESS'. The storage place for your clothes was an absolute minimum especially if you were staying a fortnight. It would have provided more room had the clothes rail been placed horizontal rather than vertical. I was on the 5th floor and found the water pressure was not that good, but maybe better on a lower floor. The English cooked breakfast was scrambled or boiled eggs and sausages, every day. The pool/jacuzzi area never had enough lounges and only 6 were placed there at any time. The computer was an 'Apple', so there was no tower or any facility to upload photos on Facebook, (I did ask) which meant going to an Internet café. There were times when the computer was occupied by children playing games, which was a tad frustrating as I didn't believe it was to act as a babysitter.
OK now for the good bits. The staff were fantastic, the reception would greet you warmly as did the guys in security. A big thank you to Zamri, Sirhan & Joe in the breakfast room, all worked so well and always found time in their busy day to smile and say hi. Lastly, huge thanks to Agnes who meticulously cleaned my room and kept supplies topped up at all times. She had a very pleasant & cheerful manner which makes her an absolute asset to the hotel. I always knew when it was Agnes' day off as things were not replaced, and a time where I needed to go to reception for my own bottled water. Overall I did have a good stay at the hotel, and feel confident this feedback will be acted on as management appears to want to please so that one will have a pleasant stay. Thank you once again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
SingaporeClarkeQuay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Dotti_N

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Express Singapore and for taking the time to review us! I really appreciate your comments and glad overall you had a good stay with us. I will check the water pressure, it should actually be the same throughout the Hotel - we are a green hotel so have worked with the Singapore authorities to ensure that are water pressure is at their recommendation, noted the comments regarding breakfast, sun loungers more on order!, sorry you couldn't always use the computer :(

Thank you for your comments regarding the team, please be assured I have shared this with them and I write them individual thank you cards to the stars who have been highlighted. On a side line I also received your note which you left and sent you a direct email to thank you for the comments regarding Agnes.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Singapore.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed at the HIExpress with a friend and the location is perfect to go out to Clarke Quay at night or get to the MRT withing a 5 miutes walk. It's a new built and very modern hotel. The rooms are quite small, so are the bathrooms but very stylish and you are not there for relaxation and spending your time in the room anyways. My absolute highlight was the rooftop pool. It's a long pool, with plexi glass walls so you can actually see the people swimming (or just do a "underwater" shooting, like we did) and you can see the beautiful skyline of Singapore with the Marina Bay Sands in the Backgound. The Breakfast buffet is good, with bread, eggs, rice, juices, fruits and nice coffe. The only negative is that you can hear the people having breakfast, or cleaning up the dishes in the room, as there is kind of an inner yard where all the nois gets to the rooms, but this wasnt severe.

I already recommended this hotel to my friend and they already booked a room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
SingaporeClarkeQuay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Brendaontour

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay and for taking the time to review us. Really pleased you had a great trip and enjoyed the rooms, breakfast and the swimming pool - its great for those underwater fun photos!!

Thank you for the recommendation to your friends and we look forward to welcoming them and you back in the future.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel appears new and located in a very nice neighborhood between Clarke Way and Chinatown. You could easily walk to both locations and also catch the subway. The rate was decent compared to the other hotels we checked. Breakfast is very good and complimentary. The staff was nice and professional. Nice decoration, and swimming pool, great city street view from the bedroom. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Tamachris

Thank you for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay and taking the time to review us

I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and in particular your comments on our free Express Start Breakfast, location and the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

It is best suited for non-business travellers. Rooms are small and so are the washrooms. The biggest mistake is you have to pay ERP Toll ( not much, just a dollar ) to have your taxi enter the hotel ... Breakfast for vegetarians is no good. Same menu everyday. And yes, Express being express!, be ready to carry your own bottles of water from the reception

Stayed July 2014
Dear apactraveller2012

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review us.

We are a select service Hotel and the Holiday Inn Express concept aims to provide our guests with a hassle-free stay with the comfort and convenience of great rooms, great location, free Express start Breakfast & free Wi-Fi - all at a value price.

Our Express Breakfast Bar includes four hot dishes, cereals, cut fruits, whole fruits, yogurts, bakery selections with danishes , muffins, croissants, white & wholemeal toast. Hot drinks include tea, speciality coffee & chocolate. For the convenience of our guests, we have the Grab & Go option as well.

Thank you again for the feedback and staying with us

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We arrived pretty late that night (around midnight) and was greeted by a young girl busy doing her reconciliation for the night. The greeting received was very cold with no smile whatsoever. She quickly grabbed our details and then said: 'check out is tomorrow at 12pm'. I said, seeing that we arrived so late, could you be so kind to extend a late checkout for us? She said: 'ok, 2pm then'. We thank her for her generosity!

The room was compact but has everything you need in the room. I would say the room is just right for maximum 2 persons. Anyone travelling with little children should reconsider as it would be 'sardines' for you. The bed is barely a double size bed. The duvet is just slightly bigger than the bed. Not very generous for the bigger size people. The sliding mirror glass door which separates the bathroom and the bedroom for us didn't work. So we had to sleep leaving it opened. The toilet I found to be higher than the normal ones. I am a 6'2 ft guy so it would be ok for me. For the shorter ones, your legs will be hanging that's for sure. Not sure why it was not the norm for this hotel?

I was trying to get a shower in the morning and to my surprise, no HOT WATER??? Left the tap running for a while but still no hot water. I guess the supply is just not enough for the morning rush. I found it unacceptable for a hotel! Told the front office staff and all they said was :'I am sorry to hear this'!

The breakfast was included and don't expect it to have an abundant choice! It's a small restaurant and it's a chop house!

The walls are pretty thin and not very well sound proofed!

Location wise it's pretty good just 5 minutes from clarke quay and chinatown MRT station. But in the heat, taxi would be easier. Overall, it's not a cheap hotel for this star rating. Size of the room is a real issue for those who are looking for 'space'.

Room Tip: Please tell the taxi driver that it is Holiday Inn Express Clarke Quay at Magazine Road as there is...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Agape10
SingaporeClarkeQuay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Agage10

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review us. I am glad you enjoyed the location of the Hotel and thank you for your tip. Thank you for your feedback on your stay please be assured I will follow up on this.

The Hotel hot water supply is all controlled by one system and I sincerely apologise that you did not have any hot water as we did not receive any other problems with other rooms however I will ensure that this is followed up.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

New hotel in a good location but we would not return there. Virtually no reception area with uncomfortable seats. Arrived late from Siem Reap and had great difficulty accessing food as there is no restaurant there, only 'bar' food and that was quite frankly, not very nice. Hotel did offer to order take away for us, but this would have taken at least 45 minutes to arrive and my husband is diabetic. not good.
Rooms were extremely small and the first night we froze as the air conditioner could not be changed or turned off.
Breakfast did not contain many choices but the toaster did work well.
Stunning swimming pool on roof if you like glass sides, but I wasn't brave enough.

Room Tip: Wouldn't know - ours was small, cold and compact.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Laurice B
Dear Laurice B

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience with us.

Our Express Breakfast Bar includes four hot dishes (2 international & 2 local ), cold selection - 3 cereals, 3 cut fruits, 2 whole fruits, 2 varieties of yogurt, bakery selections with danishes , muffins, croissants, white & wholemeal toast. Hot drinks include tea, speciality coffee & chocolate. For the convenience of our guests, we have the Grab & Go option as well.

Understandably, everybody does not look for the same set of services in a Hotel. Had we known about your expectations, we would have been more than happy to recommend you to our sister properties in our locality. We do take both positive and negative comments from all our guests very seriously and we can assure you that we will continue to strive to deliver what our guests expect form us. I am sorry you had an issue with the air conditioning unit.

We sincerely wish your experience with us was a better one and we do hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in future.

Sandnes, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

So it is now 2:30 am on a Saturday, I'm supposed to start working at 7 am and there is a big party outside on the street next to my hotel. Some rich kids have gathered outside of a local KTV and are obviously testing out the soundsystem on their Lamborghinies. Called the reception and even tho probably all their guest who are have a room facing the carpark/reception area can hear the music all the receptionist said was that they couldn't do anything about it. The reason: there is a nightclub next door.

So.. to confirm previous reviews; the breakfast is awefull (they get one of two starts for having fresh fruit), the soundproofing is dreadful and the staff is amazingly inexperienced.

Also, being a platinum IHG member and staying here for four weeks at the time obviously didn't make any difference at all.

I think I will check out and move to Holiday Inn Atrium tomorrow. The rooms are older and the food isn't that good either, but the service is excellent and you are not going to be kept awake at the middle of the night by some teens playing music on the street.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear OyindF

Thank you for your review and for staying with us; I really appreciate the feedback and please be assured we are following up with the club across the road as the noise should not spill out onto the street.

I am sorry you are not a fan of our breakfast, our Express Start Breakfast is included free in all our rates and is a choice of 4 hot items, cereals, pastries, bread, fruit, yoghurts, juices as well as tea, coffee and hot chocolate.

As a Platinum IHG Rewards Member we do appreciate your loyalty and try to allocate our members preferred rooms within the Hotel, I am sorry that on this occasion your were disturbed we do not normally have any issues with the noise as the road is a quieter one.