“Nice location, bad service”

Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay
Ranked #50 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We are here for a long business trip of 5 weeks, all in all from outside hotel looks pretty and new. Rooms are a little bit small, but enough space for 1 person. Work desk is really small...hardly enough place for the laptop and some paperwork!
Rooms have really thin walls, if neighbor prefers to watch TV little bit louder or decides to shower at 2am you will be awake for sure.

All of us are really disappointed of the service and staff. Beginning in the morning, its hard to find an empty table at the breakfast, because nobody is cleaning the used tables.
Latest 2pm all towels at the pool are taken and nobody refills them.
Also closing time of the pool is a little bit early (7pm whirlpools and 9pm pool). I think for Singapore standard this is way to early. Experience from other hotels is pool opening time minimum 10pm. This is really annoying to us, because we usually work till 9pm.

Location of the hotel is great! Clarke Quay, Chinatown, Marina Bay, everything in walking distance.
Thats the big plus on this hotel, thats why it got "Average" rating.

Conclusion: If you really want to stay in this area, invest 30$ more and you will get much better hotels in this area.

Room Tip: Ask to be as far away from the elevators as possible
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mike_111190
SingaporeClarkeQuay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear Mike_111190

Thank you for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay and for taking the time to review us. I was disappointed to see we got a mixed review from you and please accept my apologies for this; I have noted your point regarding breakfast and will follow up with this as well as the pool towels being replenished, which we do a number of times during the day and I am sorry we had ran out at that time.

I hope we can regain your faith in us and welcome you back again.

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,991)

Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

This Hotel is very new, clean and modern. According how Holiday Inn Express Hotels are, don't expect great service but the staff is always friendly.
It is close to many sightseeing points in walking distance. Don't listen to the locals saying that "it is too far". It takes approximately 15 minutes to reach the raffles place or you can take a nice walk along the river.
It was not less than expected which is why I am very happy with this hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Numichen

Thank you for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay and for leaving us a review. I was pleased to read that we exceed your expectations and that you enjoyed the location of the Hotel which is in easily walking distance of a number of areas!

Look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 30 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel be only for one night using my high rewards and on checkin there was no problems no fuss, the room was on the smaller size but trust me in the job I do I have stayed in smaller, this room was fantastic with floor to ceiling wall to wall window with a great view , only problem I had the electric went off but I informed reception and in a couple of mins a guy came up and sorted it, the shower was fantastic wish I had one in my bathroom, breakfast is free but unfortunately I woke up late as I had been out the night before drinking wine, all in all fantastic room and great service totally recommend this hotel and location is brilliant for the local taxis buses and mrt, thank you holiday inn for a nice nights stay if I return to Singapore n the future I will definitely book in again

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
SingaporeClarkeQuay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Dear Rodders2014

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay and for giving us a fantastic five star review! Thank you for your loyalty as an IHG Rewards Member as well.

We smiled at your review (been there done that) sorry you missed Breakfast, but next time even if you get down just before we close you can Grab & Go. Thank you for your comments about the room and the shower.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Singapore next time!

Reviewed 29 August 2014

The building itself is very funky, huge windows on the rooms, a lovely lap pool on the roof and all outdoor corridors. Its better than most HIExpress properties. Good free breakfast etc.

Staff are a bit rubbish. I left a key at reception for a friend to pick up and they lost it. Took 4 members of staff to find it. This is just nonsense. Also, they checked me in and gave me a room that had not been cleaned. No big deal but it did take a while to sort it out. Singapore service in general seems to be terrible. Not sure why.

Location is fine. Calling it Clarke Quay is a bit naughty as its probably a 10 - 15 walk to the actual centre of Clarke Quay.

But its a reasonable choice in Singapore

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Marraminga

Dear Marraminga

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay and for taking the time to leave us a review. I was pleased to read you comments on the design of the Hotel and that overall you enjoyed your stay with us including our free Express Start Breakfast.

Please accept my apologies for the confusion and inconvenience caused by our Reception team; I have certainly followed up with this.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Hard to fault this place really. I had read the rooms were small so was a bit cautious, but the place was fantastic. Clean, fresh, modern, handy to Clarke Quay, handy to Chinatown... it really was great. Yes the rooms are a little on the small side, but far from tiny. Beds were comfy, shower/bathroom clean and modern and the hotel as a whole is really very, very nice. The pool on the rooftop is pretty awesome and the gym (although small) has everything you need if you like a workout. The breakfast each morning was mainly standard fare, but perfect for a big pig out before you head out for the day.... toast, cereal, fruit, sausages, eggs, rice, noodles, muffins, croissants - really all you need! Thoroughly enjoyed staying at the HIE and would highly recommend it and would definitely go back if we were to return (and I am pretty fussy when it comes to hotels!!). 5 minute walk to Clarke Quay, 8 min walk to Clarke Quay train station and 10 min walk to Chinatown.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robdave72

Dear Robdave72

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay and for taking the time to give us a fantastic five star review!

Delighted you enjoyed your stay and that we exceeded your expectations; thank you for your comments on our Express Start Breakfast, room design, location and cleanliness.

Look forward to seeing you next time you are in Singapore.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. For me, as a solo traveller, it ticked all the boxes. Great location adjacent to Clarke Quay and close to shopping malls and public transport
The hotel is very modern and the room, albeit quite small are similarly very modern, clean and functional. The bed was comfortable and I had a quiet nights sleep.
There is quite a beautiful garden and swimming pool and gymnasium on the roof which I enjoyed.
I was was delighted with the breakfast. As it was included in the tariff I was expecting cereal and toast only. Instead it was a reasonably comprehensive buffet.
My only small gripe was that my room was not ready when I checked in. Given that it was 5 pm I found this surprising
Interestingly check out time is 1200 which is generous
I would stay again

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank trevhz

Dear Trevhz

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay and for taking the time to give us a fantastic five star review.

I was delighted to read of your stay and in particular the comfort of your room, our Express Start Breakfast and the rooftop swimming pool and fitness room.

I am sorry that your room was not ready when you initially arrived, the Hotel was particularly busy over that period, and I have picked this up with the team.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

A nice hotel in a good location, a short walk to Chinatown. Stayed 3 nights as this was a part of our 2 Centre Holiday (9 nights in Holiday Inn, Penang). Although the rooms were on the small size, they were new, compact and clean. The staff and service were excellent.

The best surprise is found on the Rooftop Level - Skydeck, an open air swimming pool and a jacuzzi! What a spectacular view!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lily1908
SingaporeClarkeQuay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Lily1908

Thank you for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Singapore Clarke and for taking the time to give a great review! I am really pleased you enjoyed your visit to Singapore and found us a great find! We love our pool on the rooftop as well and the view is wonderful.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.