“Excellent restaurant”

Fratini La Trattoria
Ranked #4 of 10,645 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent restaurant”
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

We finally managed to get a table last night at this excellent local restaurant. It's quite small and very popular, so it is nearly always fully booked. The owner kindly squeezed us in and we were not disappointed. You don't have any choice of food (this may not suit everyone) although the charismatic owner did check with us to see if there was anything we didn't eat. Once it's established that you have no allergies or aversions the food just keeps coming - delicious, small mouthful sized portions of all sorts of tasty and flavoursome Italian dishes, served tapas style on boards and plates. Eventually just when you are getting full, a truly scrumptious pasta dish arrives in the pan it was cooked in, sizzling hot and full of delicious flavours. Finally, when you really have no room left the puddings arrive - again a selection and again all bite sized. The atmosphere is very welcoming and the owner mingles with his diners and then pops into the kitchen to help the chefs. It's a great atmosphere and a thoroughly enjoyable way to eat excellent and different authentic Italian food.

Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Pulau Ubin, Singapore
“Good idea badly executed”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The chef owner is a great character but that is we're the good aspect of this place comes to an abrupt end.No menu might work if the food had not been lukewarm at best,very slow to appear and culminated with some poor pasta with some indifferent seafood thrown into it.This is the greatest disappointment I have encountered in Singapore and I shall not return.

• Visited November 2013
10 Thank Epicure134
Fratini2013, Owner at Fratini La Trattoria, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Epicure134,

First off, I'd like to thank you for dining at Fratini La Trattoria, even if your experience there wasn't quite up to your expectations. I'd also like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about us, even if it wasn't entirely in our favour. I am always open to comments and suggestions, as I believe that is the only way to improve. Having said that, I hope you will allow me to respond to some of your comments.

Thank you for your flattering comment about my being a great character. I am trying to make the restaurant as personable as I can. I enjoy speaking with my guests to find out their likes and dislikes and do my best to accommodate their dietary restricitons or personal culinary preferences.

I must apologise if our service that evening was slow, it was probably a busy evening but of course that's no excuse. We are less than 2 months' old, and we're still trying to find our feet. With our degustation menu, it does take a bit longer as our guests have to go through about 8-10 starters before getting to the pasta. Although, to be honest, we have had a number of guests who have actually asked us to slow down the service as they would like to enjoy their dinner. So I suppose it is a personal preference as to how fast a meal should be served. If you had mentioned that you needed to leave by a certain time, we would have made sure you were served quickly.

As for the food being 'lukewarm at best'....Apart from the pasta, which is always and literally, straight from the stove to the table, as we serve the pasta directly in the frying pan to our guests, our starters often consist of cold items like salmon carpaccio, beef carpaccio, scallop carpaccio, etc., as well as certain seafood dishes like calamari, prawns and salmon, which we prefer to under-cook them a little so that they still retain their natural flavours, and not turn out to be tough. Hence they will turn up at the table, warm but not piping hot.

Again, I am sorry that your meal at our restaurant was not enjoyable, I wish you had brought this up to me while you were there, so I could have had a direct feedback and tried to make the evening more pleasant for you. In particular the pasta with 'indifferent' seafood you had, which at this point, perhaps it's due to my not so excellent English, I am trying to understand what you mean. Perhaps you would have preferred lobster rather than the fresh crabmeat, calamari and prawns which was in the pasta.

In my 40 years as a professional chef, I have always tried my best to please my guests, which thankfully up to now, appear to be mostly satisfied. I have always had an open dialogue with my guests, and that's the way I've been able to keep my guests happily fed. If you do decide to give us another chance, I hope you will bring up any matter which is unsatisfactory to you as the meal progresses.

Yours truly,
Gabriel Fratini
Fratini La Trattoria
Singapore, Singapore
“Affordable Michelin Star Dining”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

At last value for money in Singapore! Having been recommended by an Italian friend we were not disappointed. Real gastronomic Italian food cooked by Chef Fratini himself. The no menu tailored degustation style might not be to everyones taste, but it works. The restaurant is small enough to allow the chef to mingle with the guests, creating a great personal touch. You are getting better value for money here than the inflated prices at Dempsey and starred hotels downtown.
Tip: Its only been open a few months - you will need to experience it before it gets booked up.

• Visited November 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“La Trattoria Fratini...my new little Jewel, Italian with a difference”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

In the restaurant enclave of 10 Greenwood Avenue Hillcrest Park, is a new " kid on the block "
Restaurant La Trattoria Fratini. Chef/ Owner Gabriel Fratini is not new to Singapore . After a hiatus of over 2 decades away from Singapore he is back cooking with added vigour and creativity. The interior of the restaurant has been newly renovated , modern in style, attractive, and seats about 34 diners . There is also out-door dining which is especially pleasant on cooler days.
What makes Gabriel different is that he sells his concept of a 12 course tasting menu, priced at SGD 70++ to all his patrons, so don't expect to have a set menu offered to you . Our party of four unanimously agreed on the tasting menu which turned out to be a gastronomic experience. The courses came in different portions, some smaller, some bigger but the main which was a pasta for us was more than substantial .This idea is so novel as it allows the Chef to " showcase " his creativity to his fullest potential, and for the guests, to sample various different flavours and textures of his food . The tasting menu changes daily according to what products are available from the markets. Gabriel's cooking is rustic Italian but with a welcome light, healthy twist . We left pleased with the dining experience of the evening , feeling happily satisfied and yet not over-the-top full.
Footnote: Gabriel has cooked for Royalty , Roger Federer and other well known Celebrities.
Need I say more for his reputation as a Chef :)

© 201

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank lotus_kun
Singapore
“An Italian Affair with A Refreshing Twist”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

As an italian and food wine lover, I have taste and dine at many Italian restaurants both here in & out of Singapore. Like I always say, you can never go wrong with Italian wine but not many can deliver food that makes you want to come back.
Now, Chef Fratini is one guy that not only deliver those amazing flavour but the presentation of his food tells a lot of his love for his food.
The ingredients without any doubt are fresh and the way he brings together the ingredients in one plate is simply an experience to one's taste bud.
I have the honour to dine together with 9 other friends to a special dinner where no menu is present but we trust Chef Fratini to surprise us with his food. The verdict... Mama Mia! The flavour, the freshness and the presentation are just fantastic!
If you are bored with the traditional Italian food but want something fusion added into it and yet not losing the italian touch, this is the restaurant to go to.

• Visited October 2013