“better deals possible”

and 1 more site!
The InnCrowd Hostel
Reviewed 26 July 2008

Not really the best place to stay in Singapore. Not that is was terrible over there, but I'm sure there are better hostels in Singapore.

I didn't really like the neighbourhood of this hostel: little India, with some friendly people, but some are really pushy and hassle you to buy in their shops.

The hostel itself, you need an access code to get in, which is good, but you can't lock the doors of the dorms! They offer free lockers, but they are so tiny that you can hardly put anything in there.

They give you a sheet and a blanket, you have to make your own bed, which seemed a bit odd to me, I never have had to do that before (and I've stayed in more hostels). Also you have to take off your shoes, which seemed a bid ridiculous too, to me.

Also, they offer free internet- 30 mins per night stay, but there are only 4 computers available, and they are occupied all the time, so you have to go somewhere else anyway.

They also offer breakfast but you don't really have much choice.

On the positive side, it's a fairly clean hostel, and close to the mrt station. Staff was friendly.

Don't think I'd stay here again though.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank cyberjunk

Reviewed 25 May 2008

Have never come aross a worst hostel. We booked our stay through their website months in advance after looking through the photos on their website. We had to pay a nights stay upfront online and were to stay for three nights. We took the airport shuttle bus to the hostel arriving sometime after 8pm (had advised hostel of late arrival in advance). Bus could only drop us at end of Dunlop street so being night we were treking through what looked like a really dingy street trying to find the place. Once spotted (not easy) we went to check in and they insisted on full payment of the three nights then and there. Being as tired as we were and just wanting to fall into bed (would have tried to find dinner but streets did not look like the sort we wanted to venture out into at night) we paid the full amount and a guy lead us out of the hostel and around to another street - he did not slow down nor wait for us with our heavy backpacks and was hard to keep up. Staff checking us in were not impolite but certainly not friendly or polite either and as soon as we paid gave us a card with a whole list of rules on it - most of which i was not going to be doing (taking shoes off in showers and toilets and leaving gear elsewhere and not near bed). Anyway we were taking into other place around the corner, had door of room opened and then were basically dumped by the guy who took off back to the other hostel i assume. The room was bare. We booked a double room and this was nothing like the photos on the website (i told them when booking if the double in the website wasn't available we wouldn't bother booking as we wanted a decent double room). In fact all the photos on the website are extremely misleading and not as the hostel actually is. The double bed in the small cell like room had a double on the bottom and a single on top - like a bunk bed. The room had no windows, a tiny fan going right at the top of the high walls, concrete floor, a stand with a tv on it that didn't work and that was it, not very much room either. We decided to sleep on it and have a better look in the morning. In the morning I wore thongs everywhere - sorry but no thongs in those showers and toilets??? There were two toilets - that shared a door - so really just one dirty toilet and three showers right next to the toilets - only one had a door on it that covered shower front - important because there was no wall opposite - the showers literally faced all the roofs of the neighbouring houses - where the people hang their washing and look out their windows etc. No where to put stuff in showers etc, lucky my partner was with me as i had to throw my clothes out to him and have him pass me stuff. Downstairs where our room was there was a small unused almost sitting area, no internet, breakfast facilities or anything as shown on website - these are all around in dunlop street venue so you have to go around there. Also no mirror or anything in the room. Anyway we went to have the free breakfast and to use the internet to book elsewhere. Had some toast, and then googled for anywhere else to stay last minute. Found a hotel in Chinatown and booked two nights there - cost was the cheapest we could find £50 a night for the two of us but didn't want to chance another backpackers for the two nights and wanted to enjoy Singapore and get on with seeing things etc. Hotel 81 was the hotel we booked into. Anyways being as we knew we weren't getting any money back from the backpackers we kept the key for all our nights - weren't going to have them get some other travellers money as well. We had a wonder round Little India, then took or bags and checked into Chinatown. Best decision ever. Hotel room was small and just space for double bed but has ensuite and kettle, airconditioning etc. Fine for crashing out and much nicer then the backpackers. (Oh also noticed in backpackers that with few people around we felt like we were alone in the venue we were in and felt very unsafe, lock very flimsy and no fire alarms or fire escapes to say we were locked in a little cell room - not good). Anyway Chinatown was great atmosphere, easy to get around and enjoyed rest of stay. Partner went and had breakfast again on the Inn Crowd before returning the key the last morning we were there but overall a horrible place the worst I have come across.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TravellingOzzie
Reviewed 4 May 2008

a great hostel locatd in little india. Centrl abdour 5 min walk to metro which is the fastest and easiest way to get round singapore.

We stayed in a double room so i am not sure what the dorms were like. Our room very simple but that was all we needed. It had air con.

We shared a bathroom with others which was fine. We never had to wait to use one of the three showers. Only one toilet but again never had to wait for anyone else.

Its not huge hostel so there isnt likely to ever be queues.

The staff were fine and helpful although there was one girl who was ude to people in front of us in the line. just be friendly to them and they will be friendly to you.

We had a late flght so we payed $8 and kept ourluggage in storage. then we were able to shower and use the interenet after a day of sight seeing.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nzwendy
Reviewed 23 January 2008

The Inn Crowd is all about rules and and more rules, and everywhere there is a sign telling you so: No shoes in the building, don't leave your stuff lying about the dorm room, all luggage has to be in the designated area, exactly 15 minutes free internet, exactly 2 slices of bread and 1 egg for breakfast, and don't forget to clean up after yourself.

I stayed in the second building, where there were two large dorm rooms as well as a private room. The private room is really a converted office with a loft bed in it, so I hope they don't charge too much for it. They don't advertise this anywhere on the website, but the dorms hold at least 20 people each in metal bunkbeds. For both of these dorm rooms (think 40+ people), there are three or four showers and two toilets. You have to walk through one toilet stall to get to the other (!), so really there is one toilet. The entire bathroom area was filty during my two day stay here, and I had to smuggle up some slippers to wear in there because there was no way I was showering with bare feet. There were cochroaches in the showers as well.

The staff was alright, not super friendly. They organize fun events like outdoor bbqs, but then charge a fee for anyone attending.

There is plenty of space for lounging around and meeting other backpackers, and this was the best thing about the hostel. It's also centrally located in Little India, near a hawker food court and close to shopping/sightseeing.

Still, I would not stay here again, because if there's one thing I can't stand, it's a dirty bathroom. Seems like a lot of the newer hostels also have dorm rooms for 4-6 people, which I'd much prefer.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cintagreen
Reviewed 16 July 2007

This is by for the worst, skankist place I've stayed in! I know hostels are suppose be for backpackers and they are not suppose to be good but Inncrowd hostel was 10times worse than my boarding school!!!

I was in singapore for a 12hrs transit, so needed a place to stay for just a few hours... but believe me, I'd have rather stayed on the street (which I almost did, if it wasn't for the money I already paid!) and I didn't dare going to the toilet at all. I had to hold it in until I found elsewhere to pee!

I booked a double room through the website and specifically told the hostel ppel that I'll be checking in at 6pm. When I arrived at the hostel, they told me the room wasn't ready yet... (I thought ok, I don't mind waiting for a bit), but after 15mins, they took me to a room that had signs of "Staff room" on it. Inside the room, there was a doble deck bunk bed which was obviously bought from Ikea and badly assembled (the whole bed wobbles and feels like it's gonna fall apart if you are not careful), it was nothing like picture of the double room shown on their website (which had a double bed).
The room also had a non-working tv placed on another badly assembled Ikea shelf (which if you put anything on it, it starts wobbling big time!).

I guess I was just very unlucky to pay the double room rate & get a Staff room... which I'm still ok with...

But when I checked out the commual bathroom I was totally disgusted! The hostel request you to take off your shoes when going to the shower & toilet (which I can understand if they were kept clean) BUT the toilets & showers were sooooooooo skanky and they stink soooo bad, i didn't dare use them at all! (Not a chance that I'm gonna stand on other people's pee to use the toilet).
The design of the toilet was also very stupid. There were two toilets, but one is built inside the other one. So if you lock the outside toilet, that means no one can use the inside toilet. Also, if you go into the inside toilet, you might just walk into someone taking a dump in the outside toilet (and they've locked their door!).

The hygen was just soooo bad.

Staying here has just made me wish I had stayed inside the airport for the whole 12hrs!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sophdobe
Reviewed 5 June 2007

Probably a bit ambitious for 50yr olds but had stayed away for 10 weeks thru Morocco/Croatia/slovenia so were tuned to accom woes and foibles.
Booked the double suite in the "new" Inn around the corner and feel it is a dump with no space for any practical use and bathroom flooded.
Would have been better in the dorms ,I think ,as all the toilet piping from upstairs was routed thru the room and every dump in the night rattled into the pipes and woke us. Tho the "curfew" is 11pm it may as well have been 4am which undoubtably increased the traffic.
The main Inn looked good fun for the budget traveller and the management were cheery and refunded the second nite stay after explanation on "noises".

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank mausgrass
Reviewed 15 January 2007

Stayed at the InnCrowd for a couple of nights in January 2007 and did not have such a good experience, simply because I'm not the adventurous youth I used to be! The staff there is terrific, they're young and helpful, always smiling and trying to help. They will bend over backwards for you. I especially appreciated Vicky's help and understanding during my stay.

As far as hostels go, this place is top-notch. Personally, I don't understand why you would sleep in a dorm with 20 or so other people when you can afford not to, but hey! If you're travelling to Singapore on a budget and want to meet other like-minded adventurous travellers, then this is the place for you.

Everything runs smoothly here and a lot of hostels could learn from this place - you can see this place is run by pros.

I tried their double room on the second floor at their main location (they now have the 'InnCrowd II') and at SGD 48 per night, I didn't find it to be a good deal at all. The room had no furniture whatsoever (besides the bed and the TV stand), not even hooks to hang your clothes on... Concrete floor, no window, dusty - plus you share the same bathroom as everybody else staying in the dorms.
Don't tell me, I know: this is a hostel, not a hotel. But regardless of this fact, I was able to find a very reasonably-priced hostel in Singapore with my own bathroom and unlimited wireless Internet access (pretty much like at the InnCrowd, at least if you travel with your laptop) for only SGD 70 per night. The place is called A Travellers Rest-Stop and the owners there are really friendly and helpful. It's definitely quieter than at the InnCrowd (which I happen to like), and I got two large windows in my room as well as a shelf to put my laptop on and a chair. A great room if your work is Internet-related and you are trying to get away from cold Canadian winters like I do every so often... I'd gladly review it for you on this site, but it is not listed yet under 'Other Lodging' for Singapore... Happy travels y'all!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled solo