“Great value for money”

The InnCrowd Hostel
Reviewed 10 March 2011

I've been coming here every 3 years for 6 years now to renew a first aid certificate that I use for work. It was the good reviews in the past that drew me to the place before and I've always had a good time but the bad reviews and relatively low rating I saw this time around nearly led me to book elsewhere.

Circumstances conspired to bring me here anyway and I'm very pleased they did.

The hostel is in a great location with fantastic food to be had right on your doorstep. The place is clean with friendly service and all the facilities a guy on a budget could ask for.

Every time I come back the place has been remodeled in some way and always with an eye for improvement. This time around there are more free to use computers, free wifi, a bigger beanbag zone, more double rooms and improved shower facilities. The kitchen has gotten a lot smaller as a result of the downstairs changes but I'm guessing people just weren't making use of the old set up.

They've a big TV and DVD stuff and even a Wii console though I admit this stuff does nothing for me - makes for a major distraction in the evening and is probably a reason for the noise complaints of some people.

I stayed in a dorm (5 bunks =10 beds)and after 2 nights I was sleeping soundly. Can be a bit noisy but that's not the hostel's fault - some backpackers have the social conscience of a newt and think nothing of making a racket late at night by banging doors, turning on lights or talking. And of course there's always someone who snores like a steam train. If this stuff really bugs you - DON'T STAY IN A DORM! Or perhaps just pack some earplugs.

I can't speak for the quality of the double rooms but you probably do want to avoid the one closest to the common area as people stay up pretty late.

The hostel was quite full when I stayed so I heard several people being directed to another building 1 minute away. That has a few double rooms, a dorm and showers but no other facilities so you have to come back to the main bldg for your free breakfast (2 hard boiled eggs and toast with jam), computer and wifi access and chilling out space. Maybe the reception staff don't spell this out when they allocate the rooms in this building which is a mistake on their part because it seems to generate some bad feeling in some customers.

I had a great time and fully expect I'll be back in another 3 years - if not before.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank HKBruce

Reviewed 2 February 2011

We were put in a separate building two blocks away from the main one, where there was no internet, no kitchen, and no hot water except for the first minute of the shower. The room had no windows, and a fan you could not stop, which was very noisy. The rooms were not clean, there were cigarette boxes used as ashtrays on the shelf. The receptionist was quite concise missing to give full information of services and prices, e.g. the option of leaving the luggage for half a day if you don't want to use the shower.
Would not stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2011

We stayed here on last Nov for only 1 night in a double room and was charged about SGD59 which is a bit overrated for us considering the services.

The room was small, 5m3 space, with a single-sized bunk bed (well, we couldn't complain as this was indeed 'double' room), a 32-inch LCD tv + dvd player that seemed can not be used other than watching dvd by borrowing dvd to the reception, simple equipment to hang our cloths on, nice air con, exhaust fan, but no window. When checking in, we were given clean linens and towels. While cheking out, we should return our used linens and towels back to the reception and placed them in the available bin.
Bathroom was shared with others, with inside there're 2 small shower rooms with no equipment to hang our stuffs during shower (we had to hang our cloths on above the shower door and put the amenities on the floor), hot and cold water was working properly at that time, 3 limited-space-but-clean toilets, 2 wastafels with a big mirror hanging on. We overlooked if there're any laundry machines, but we guess it was. Might meet your opposite sex while doing shower or dumping on toilets or laundryng as that was unisex bathroom. For us this wasn't a really problem anyway.
We must highlight the social area in the main building which is to be the nicest area of the hostel. There are computers with internet connection used for free and in unlimited time (in our understanding), a large-sized LCD tv for everyone, free space for sitting and doing nothing or just reading books or chit-chat with other travelers equipped with nice bean chairs and breakfast room.
Toast, jam, butter and boiled egg are available for breakfast and self-service served. Very basic but helped. Tea, coffee and hot water are free all day. There's also common fridge to be used. Rules are applicable for those keeping stuffs on the fridge (as we just stay 1 night, we didn't pay attention to this).
Nothing to complain about location as this hostel is lying on the famous Little India and near to Bugis as well.
Helpful staffs in reception area.

Overall it's nice and clean but very basic. Not suitable for family, only for solo or small group of young travelers. I'll recommend this hostel to friends if they look for location, with some 'but's.
But if I have to visit Spore another day, I'll chose other hostels with lower price if the service is about to be same with this.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Stayed in the Inn Crowd Hostel for 5 days. After looking for a place to stay that would maximize our money, we ended up choosing this hostel since it gave the best value for your buck.

The hostel is located in Dunlop Street in Little India in Singapore. It is located beside a 7 Eleven store ( which is very convenient ) and a Bar/Resto on the right and in front of the hostels are various pubs and bars ( which come alive at night )

The check in process is tedious, since there are so many people who walk in and choose this place, so be patient! They let you store your luggage in a corner at the ground floor until you are checked in. While waiting you can rest in their comfortable sleeping/reading nook or watch a TV show with 6 other people in a coach from all over the world.

You can also use the showers. The Inn Crowd offers 6 shower stalls located on the 1st and 2nd floor. The dorm rooms range from 2 people to 12 people. The breakfast includes toasts and 2 eggs and unlimited coffee.

TIP:

If you will use the MRT, do alight or ride from Little India Station, it is the closest to the hostel and with MRT you get access to all the places.

Do book a tour with a bus tour just to familiarize yourself on where to go and when to visit the places. Duck&Hippo Tours offer great prices from SGD24 to 40 of different tours around Singapore.

If you plan on visiting Orchard Road, do take the MRT and stop at the ION/Orchard station. It is the last station in the Orchard. It is better to start there and work your way up to Dobhy Gaut which is the MRT stop that links you to Little India.

And last but not the least, if you are sensitive when it comes to sleeping. Be sure to have something to cover your ears because sleeping in Inn Crowd involves to sleeping with other people snoring and talking in the wee hours at night even after lights off (11pm)

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank undob0y
Reviewed 11 December 2010

I stayed at The Inn Crowd a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to a repeat of hanging out with great people; a comfy room (I stayed in the double room previously); great staff; and good facilities I made a booking a couple of months in advance of my trip requesting the double room in the main building again. A couple of weeks before my stay, they emailed me to say that unfortunately those rooms were no longer available and gave me the option of a twin room in the main building or a double in the second building. Having read the reviews here, I opted for the twin in order to stay in the main building.

But oh, how things have changed! Not only has the layout of the main area changed (there's no longer a bar although you can buy cheap canned drinks), but the whole vibe and attitude as well. And it's not just me getting older! The twin room was tiny - I'd hate to be staying there longer than a night with someone else - and the shared bathroom nearby was also tiny and not well cleaned. You're not supposed to wear flipflops in the bathroom, but I recommend taking them in with you! There's nowhere to change within the cubicles and a real lack of space. The worst thing was the lack of soundproofing, though - take your earplugs if you stay here, even in the 'private' rooms.

But the reason I'll never return to this hostel is because of the night staff. I arrived in the early evening and they had trouble locating my booking. When they finally did, I was thrown a threadbare towel and threadbare blanket (I'm not exaggerating), told to read a laminated copy of the house rules, and then demanded up-front payment for my second night. I was then pointed in the direction of my room. No explanation of facilities, no description of what activities/maps/information is available, no explanation of the breakfast or WiFi system or even how to get back into the building with the scan card. Fine, OK. I can deal with working all of that out and asking fellow inn crowders

But later that night, I waited patiently at the desk for the girl to finish whatever she was doing so I could ask about the WiFi. She made eye contact with me, but kept doing whatever was so engrossing with a folder. When she paused and moved away from the folder, I politely asked if I could have the WiFi password. She literally put her hand up in the "talk to the hand" fashion and went back to her folder. What felt like an eternity later she scribbled the password on a slip and thumped it on the desk. She then rolled her eyes, sighed, and went back to her folder, not saying a word. This set up the vibe for my entire stay and made me want to slink back into my cave, I mean, room and draft this review in my head.

The guys behind the desk during the morning were much friendlier and fielded questions left right and centre from the many backpackers filling this busy hostel. But the popularity of this place is also a bit concerning in terms of security. I had a late flight and so stored my pack for the day for a fee. Little did I realise that everyone else would store their pack too, and all of the luggage would spill out to the main area. When I returned at 2pm, I followed someone into the hostel (hence not needing to scan in), made my way through the crowd at the desk to the bags, located mine, picked it up and left the building. No questions asked, no luggage-check system in place. I had never met the new shift of people behind the desk and could have very easily have made off with any of the packs there. Gives you pause for thought!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Pennae
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Usually ok if in the right area but recently a sleepless nightmare. Paid up my $59 for a double room-Room 6 in the main building. Supposed to be lights out at 11 pm but no one observes it. People whacking away on the computers outside the door late. People drinking and talking loudly half the night. To top it off, two young women using their blow driers at 2 a.m. Some of the showers could use some more storage and hanging space and it would be good if when you came out of showers the air conditionless areas didn't immediately make you feel that you need to jump back in to a cold shower.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2010

The double room we booked was actually a triple with a double bed below with a single bunk on top, only 4 square meters, NO windows, NO shelves and it smelled like sweaty feet! Realized it was because the next room is a storage closet that smells of mildew.
It was equipped with this massive state-of the art flat screen TV with a DVD player that did not work. The air conditioning was more like a vent..
IT is located in the ANNEX building which is a block and a half away from the main place which has the kitchen and internet facilities.
In the morning I noticed a lovely REAL double room upstairs, about 10 square meters with a window, a lovely double bed with a painting above it on the wall, certainly worth more than the room we had down in the dump!! I complained about this and was curtly told by one of the women at the reception that they are the same price!!
Even though most of the staff are pleasant and helpful as far as Singapore is concerned, there is NO EXCUSE to offer such shabby "fake" double room accomodation.
Whoever the owner is, he/she is extremely frugal and this is bordering on stealing!
The dorms are far better: more airy, clean, fresh smellibng and next to all the ammenities.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple