“Great staff, good location, clean and tidy”

The Scarlet Singapore
Ranked #55 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 3 April 2013

The Staff here were some of the best I have ever encountered in a non 5 star hotel. friendly, polite, knowledgeable.

The Hotel is billed as a boutique hotel and certainly has most of what you would expect. But, be warned, if you needs or want a window, you are likely not to get one unless you book a premium room.Most of the good value rooms do not have windows.

Breakfast was offered at SGD 30, which for us was a bit steep, so we chose to eat in one of the many cheap places outside the hotel.

The roof bar is superb for sundowners and snacks, before heading off to Dinner.

I would recommend this hotel for a night or 2 with little hesitation.

Room Tip: take note of window comment,
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
TheScarletSingapore, Front Office Manager at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Dear craig s

We hoped that you and your family have totally enjoyed the uniqueness of The Scarlet and every inch of Singapore! We thank you for your valuable review and do look forward to extending our warm hospitality to you soon!

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Spent a couple of nights at The Scarlet recently. It was my first stay there. I have been to Singapore many times and had previously walked by this place quite a few times, and must admit that this hotel always intrigued me.
First of all, you must be aware that a lot of their Deluxe (non Standard) rooms do not have windows. None of their Standard (cheaper) rooms have windows, so no risk of misundertanding here. But if you book one of their Deluxe rooms thinking your room will automatically have a window, you're likely in for a bad surprise. That is what happened to me.
Upon checking in, the amazingly kind lady at the front desk told me that since I had not requested a room with a window, they would not be able to accommodate me. I insisted, and they did accommodate me. Frankly, requesting a room with a window would not automatically have guaranteed anything, as anyone who's ever requested ANYTHING when booking a hotel room will know.
That being said, other than the fact that the rooms are really tiny, I must say that the kindness and professionalism of their staff, the cleanliness of the place and the sheer beauty and character of this boutique hotel are very hard to resist! Amazing water pressure, boring toiletries (Flair???), fast and reliable Internet connection (free wifi in rooms - some people had complained of unreliable Internet, but my connection was flawless the whole time) and hard beds, that about sums up the room for me.
I did not try their restaurants or bars, but hear they're solid.
In a nutshell, if they sorted out the Deluxe rooms window dilemma, and if their rooms had more comfortable beds and offered upscale toiletries with novel and interesting fragrances (as should be the case in any upscale boutique hotel), I'd give this place five stars.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
TheScarletSingapore, Front Office Manager at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Dear marxusboy

We hoped that you have enjoyed the uniqueness of The Scarlet and that our very warm and hospitable team have taken great care of you during your stay with us. Thank you for taking time yo give us your many observations and valuable feedback. Flair is our inhouse product that we have created to compliment The Scarlet when we first started. Looking forward, we will venture into having new and exciting toiletries in the rooms in line with our renovation. All rooms at The Scarlet are of unique room sizes and configurations. However, we always do our best to accede to requests made during reservation and also to advise guests if their requests cannot be met to avoid disappointment upon arrival. Aside from the firm bed in the room, we are pleased to learn that everything else was to your satisfaction. For your future visits to Singapore, we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back home at The Scarlet!

Reviewed 30 March 2013

After living in Singapore for 3 years, I needed a hotel for my last 4 nights and chose the Scarlet Hotel. It did NOT disappoint. The staff were so helpful and friendly, and the hotel decor was unique and charming. It is an ideal location to explore the island. Just be warned - the standard rooms are really tiny, but very well appointed.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Dear TravellingAsia11

We hoped that you've had both exciting and wonderful experiences in Singapore for the past 3 years! We thank you for chosing us as your preferred accommodation for your last four nights and totally enjoying your stay with us. We love to have you back with us again! Our warm and friendly team members will be looking forward to your next visit to Singapore!

Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

Hotel is nicely decorated despite the size. Very unique experience. My wife and I totally enjoyed our stay there.

Like the location which is a stone's throw away from Chinatown where we can get our supper easily at night. Also within walking distance to the mrt via chinatown market.

There's a nearby hawker centre offering nice breakfast with reasonable price. Should try at least once.

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear AlfredPhua
It is indeed a pleasure to learn that both your wife and yourself have enjoyed your stay and that you have had a unique experience with us! We sincerely look forward to another opportunity to welcome you both back home again. Please do not hesitate to contact us at anytime for your future reservations adn we'll be happy to assist.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

I stayed at the Scarlet for two nights recently and was impressed overall.

The first impression was great – the welcome from the front desk staff and the speed and efficiency with which we were checked in was first class. The hotel is in a great location, right next to the trendy bars and restaurants on Club Street or the fun of the Maxwell Road hawker centre. It’s also walking distance to the CBD and five minutes walk away from the metro.

The hotel is in a terrace of heritage buildings and this gives the place a very quirky feel which I liked. The rooms were fairly small but nicely decorated, nothing too special but everything was spotlessly clean and in good working order. The only downside in the room was that the bed was a little firm for my liking, but that is personal preference – my travelling companion loved it!
The facilities are limited by the building – the gym is very small and there is no pool. However the rooftop bar makes full use of the historic building and is a great spot for a beer at the end of the day.

Overall I would stay here again on my next trip to Singapore.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a window - not all rooms have them!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
TheScarletSingapore, Front Office Manager at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

Dear The_Great_Stuartio
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We really appreciate you taking valuable time to give us your many observations and this great review! We're pleased to learn that you have enjoyed the area around us. For hotels converted from conserved building like The Scarlet, most of our rooms are of different sizes and configurations. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly before your next visit and we'll be happy to recommend a room category that best suit your needs. We look forward to your next stay with us at The Scarlet!

Reviewed 20 March 2013

The trendy and eclectic furnishings and overall decor of this hotel are starting to show their age, but the staff and service levels are what will make guests return to the Scarlet, as I have, while waiting on a planned renovation to occur. I have been staying at the Scarlet one to two times a year for the past 4 years. As they say, location, location, location - very important and why I typically stay at the Scarlet, as it is in the heart of Chinatown and surrounded by some local flair that is impossible to get in the cement structures that have popped up in the Marina and Orchard Rd. areas. There are incredible hotels in Singapore, but typically I come here to relax, do some work, and wind down after long hours working in India. Singapore has become my "haven" of excellent food, safe environment, and cleanliness - and the Scarlet's location allows me to somewhat blend in with the locals while still having access to many of the same luxury amenities as larger 5-star chains.

There has been a major issue that has been occuring with poor internet reliability and spped for the past couple of years, but on this stay I had a talk with the front desk manager who assured me they are finally addressing the technical issues with their ISP. This improvement along with the planned renovation to replace outdated furnishings and decor will put this hotel back into the 5-star category it was a few years back when I first stayed at the hotel.

Staff and management are all to ready to help guests with special requests. For example, I needed to ship a box via FedEx back to the USA and they were extremely helpful in arranging this. The staff in the restaurant that serves breakast also could not be any better - so friendly and helpful each morning. They Scarlet has a nice breakfast buffet with Asian and Western offerings, along with an ala carte menu guests may order from as well. The breakfast is also available until 11AM, which is nice for those travelors who may have jetlag and wish to sleep in a bit.

Other Good things? The King-sized bed is very comfortable (and I'm 6'4, so it makes a difference) and the shower has absolutely incredible water pressure. Those things are extremely important to me after a long journey. If you want an alternative to 400+ room properties that dot the skyline in Singapore, but also want to be close enough to everything, including the airport even, I highly recommend the Scarlet as a refreshing change from the ordinary.

Room Tip: Some have commented on smaller room sizes without windows. My review is based on staying in the Sca...
1  Thank ATLTravelsALot
TheScarletSingapore, Front Office Manager at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Dear ATLTravelsAlot

Thank you for your recent stay with us and it had been my pleasure meeting you during your stay with us. My team and i would also like to thank you for the lovely flowers and your praises for our staff. It is an encouragement for them to want to strive and excel even further to the next level of service standards. We regret to hear of your experiences with the hotel's internet connection and do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. Indeed, a reliable and fast speed internet connection is one of the major criteria most guests consider before confirming their hotel reservation. Please be assured that we are looking into this matter very seriously with intent to improve reliability. We are pleased to learn that you have enjoyed our breakfast spread and will explore into creating new menu. We hope that with our upcoming refurbishment, you will continue to enjoy our uniqueness and look forward to your next stay with us and many more to come! Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your future reservations and i'll be happy to handle them personally.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

I don't know Singapore at all so have nothing to compare this to locally, but I arrived here at 10pm thinking I had a reservation which I did not (my fault not theirs).
The lady on reception was exceptionally polite and helpful and luckily they had a room.
She explained that it was their only available room so it was a single with no view.
Since I was going to be there for about 8 hours total I really didn't mind.
But good of her to explain this before she booked it and charged me.
I appreciated that.

The hotel is a tardis with corridors leading of to various places.
I really didn't sample much - I arrived, slept, showered, had a quick breakfast and left.
But in that short time and in what they described as a smaller economy room (I have stayed in far worse rooms than that for more money) I really liked it.

The staff were all really helpful and friendly.
Breakfast was fine. I just had continental but my colleague had the the breakfast BLT and in his words: "This may not look it but it is actually delicious".

If you're happy with a smaller, boutique hotel then I could happily recommend this place based on what I experienced last night.

Dear mike w

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for all your compliments to our staffs. It is definitely an encouragement for our team and most importantly, to know that we have met your service expectations. However, we will continue to strive and excel to bring our service to the next level!
We sincerely look forward to another opportunity to be of service to you in the near future!