“Precious gem at Singapore's Civic District”

The Scarlet Singapore
Ranked #52 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Precious gem at Singapore's Civic District”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We had a staycation weekend here. The elegent and regal decor and atmosphere reminded of 19th century Europe. The rooftop bar and the cosy jacuzzi gives an extra bonus. The staff and concierge are extremely efficient and friendly. Lots of good food around maxwell road, amoy street, tanjong pagar road and chinatown. The little pastry store at ground floor Antoinette has great macarons and looks like Little France in Singapore. A note to the management, after the hotel renovations, please DO NOT change the decor, as it is major selling point. Will visit again after re-opening in 2014.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dominictom
TheScarletSingapore, Front Office Manager at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear dominictom

It's always a booster to see such wonderful review on Tripadvisor! We appreciate you taking time to give us your many observations and valuable feedback. Do check our website fo rthe latest updates on our refurbishment. Have a fantastic day ahead and we look forward to welcoming you back home at The Scarlet!

Carolina Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
Reviewed 11 July 2013

it exceeded my expectations. Perfectly located (near the famous Maxwell Road Hawker Food center and Ann Siang Hill) and a great value for money. The service was great, rooms are ok. Try Breeze restaurant on the rooftop and

Room Tip: choose the room with a window
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank REDDOT_13
Dear REDDOT_13

We would like to thank you for taking time to give us a fabulous review on Tripadvisor! We are pleased to learn that our services have exceeded you expectations and will continue to strive and excel to the next level! We look forward to welcoming you back at The Scarlet after our refurbishment in December 2013 !

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I have travelled a lot and this is amongst the finest hotels I have been in with exceptional staff and customer service. We arrived early from a long flight and was greeted with the porter who ran to the cab to help us with our bags, reception staff who couldn't have been friendlier - they rushed thru the cleaning of our room so we could use it earlier, they gave us water whilst we waited and lots of information about the area.
It is a small boutique hotel with beautifully appointed rooms in opulent style - reminded me of a mini Raffles, yet at a fraction of the cost. Range of quality toiletries, complimentary water, ice, slippers, fluffy towels and bathrobes etc. They have a jacuzzi and gym too. Beats hands down the faceless modern hotels. TV is a little large for the room though which is quite tiny although I've been in smaller!
Located in the middle of China Town it is a great location. Plenty to do in the area and MRT nearby for other trips.
Highly recommended :-)

Room Tip: Choose luxury room with balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paullaw
TheScarletSingapore, Front Office Manager at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear Paullaw

Thank you for taking time to share this wonderful review and for recognizing the quality of our services and the area around us! We truly appreciate you taking time to give us your many observations and valuable feedback. As we will be closed for refurbishment soon, we look forward to your next reservation with us from December 2013. Please do not hesitate to contact us at anytime for your future reservations and our friendly staffs wil be delighted to be of assistance!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Two years ago I stayed at the Scarlet at the recommendation of a friend. I wrote a review on TA, and more importantly didn’t return, UNTIL a few weeks ago. I’ve heard enough positive that I thought it was worth the try.

Honestly, I have no idea what caused it, but the staff this time was terrific. Helpful; friendly; generous with time; courteous; always there. I also had the good fortune to twice meet Carolina Lee
the Front Office Manager. She is a delight, and extended the hotel’s services repeatedly.

Oddly, or maybe coincidentally, I had the exact same room as before (I complained about the size before). But given the positive mood of the entire hotel, I really didn’t mind this time. Maybe that says more about me than the hotel.

Anyway, the hotel is nicely situated in the Ann Sang Hill / Club Street ‘district’. That puts it close to social activities (restaurants and bars), and close to the City (I walked there several times), and close to the Maxwell Road Food Court (for a quick, good, and reasonably priced bite to eat).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
TheScarletSingapore, Front Office Manager at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Andy H
It is indeed a pleasure reading this review and to learn that you have chosen to give us another chance after your last experience some time ago and glad you've had a more positive stay this time. A pleasure meeting you while you were here! Please be assured that my team and I will always be here to serve you to the best of our abilities, to ensure that you feel at home! Noted on your preference in room size and will be in your profile. As we will be going through refurbishment from July 21 to December 2013, please do write me an email or contact any of our friendly and efficient reservation staff who will be around to answer any queries at any time for your future stays with us. We look forward to your continual support! Wishing you a fabulous day ahead!

Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 July 2013

The hotel is located in very good area for exploring Chinatown. So here's the but.
I had booked a room with expedia, a upgraded room with 2 single beds and a balcony. I had read reviews that said even if you get the executive room it does not mean you always get a window. I did not want to be stuck in a room without a window so I made sure to book a room with a balcony. When we arrived I was told they did not have our room with 2 beds because the person in our room had extended their stay. I explained that I booked a room with 2 beds. My sister and I do not like sleeping in the same bed and that it was not acceptable for 1 bed. They put us in a room below ground, no balcony, and narrow window at the ceiling level (not really a window because you could not even touch it must less see out of it. They crammed a cot into the room wedged into the bed. The only way we could have gotten in and out of the bed would have been climbing in from the foot of the bed/cot. After asking to speak to the manager 4 times and being moved to 2 different rooms and spending the first hour and a half of our 1st day in Singapore begging for the room we paid for she called. She asked what she could do to make things right and I told her she could give us the 2 bedroom suite that we had been shown earlier. The staff wanted us to take the suite in place of our deluxe room with a balcony and my son and daughter-in-laws room ( they also were given a room in the basement not the room they booked). After the manager checked to make sure the suite was not booked she had us moved to the suite and gave my son the room we had been shown with the window near the ceiling. It all worked out and we had a very beautiful suite, the manager and the staff were always polite and we enjoyed staying there very much. I just don't know what they were thinking. They wanted us to be satisfied with the rooms they gave us because someone else extended their stay????? They did end up taking care of us and I really did love the hotel, just not the run around.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room with a balcony if you want a window!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Glenda p
TheScarletSingapore, Front Office Manager at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear paulette p

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience with us. Allow us to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused on your arrival day and thank you for your patience. We regret that that rooms assigned to you upon check in was not up to your expectation but enjoyed your stay after all was settled. As a boutique hotel converted from conserved building like The Scarlet, most of our rooms are of different sizes and configurations dispite the room category. Most deluxe rooms are on the first level with skylight while more spacious with high ceiling. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your future reservation with us and i'll be happy to recommend the room type that most suit your preference. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back at The Scarlet in the near future!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Stayed here for a night during my recent business trip to Singapore. The hotel is right next to the Maxwell Hawker Center. Staff are very friendly and will go out of their way to help you. Rooms are very nicely decorated.

The only draw back is that the room is very small. It's actually similar to other boutique hotels that I have stayed before in the China Town area. The bathroom, however, is of decent size compared to the ones within the neighborhood.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Antony_Yiu
Dear Antony_Yiu

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing this wonderful review! We are pleased to learn that you've enjoyed your stay with us and also the area around us. As we are converted from conserved building, most of our rooms are of similiar sizes expect the Premium rooms and the Suites will be more spacious with bathtubs as well. Perhaps you would like to try any of these room category during your next trip to Singapore! Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and i'll be happy to handle your reservations personally. We look forward to another opportunity to be of service to you in the near future!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a terrific, quirky little hotel that perfectly suits our non-corporate personalities. We were welcomed at our early morning arrival and every effort was made to make us feel at home whilst we waited for our room to be ready. The staff are excellent and the location is terrific - close to China Town and not far from everywhere else.
They are closing for renovations soon - but we hope it is just as good, if not better, when it re-opens.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce U
Dear Bruce U

Thank you for sharing this wonderful review with us on Tripadvisor! We are delighted that we have provided excellent service during your stay and will continue to strive and excel to the next service level. We wil be closed for refurbishment from July 21 to December 2013 and hope to welcome you back with us again thereafter!