“A joy of of a boutique hotel - wish that I got to stay longer” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Scarlet Singapore

The Scarlet Singapore
Ranked #55 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Seattle, Washington
“A joy of of a boutique hotel - wish that I got to stay longer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Scarlet Hotel is an excellent choice in the Chinatown District of Singapore. I initially stayed at a budget place for my 1st few days in country, and it was such a joy to switch to this charming boutique hotel for the weekend. It ain't cheap, but in Singapore you generally get what you pay for. From the moment you step in, the cool ambience, setting, and staff are quite memorable. It's a not a gigantic establishment, so that and the alert staff who frequently greeted me contributed to a feeling of coziness.

The location is pretty decent. Its not super close to any metro stop, but its about 10-15 mins walk to the Chinatown and Telok Ayer stations. Being Chinatown, there is lots of shopping and good Asian food in the immediate vicinity, and for other types of food, there are some pretty hip restaurants up the hill to the north/northeast on Club Street/Ann Siang Road. The famous(?) Maxwell hawker stalls are just across the street to the southwest, and a 7/11 is pretty closeby downhill. This is a decent place to be based for nightlife action in Clarke Quay... as its not too crazy of a walk back if it proves impossible (as it often did) to catch at cab at certain hours of the night...

The friendly, attentive staff handled check-in flawlessly, and there was a very pleasant fragrance in the attractive lobby. They offered to show me the room after check-in. I had a comfortable king bed I think, and I was surprised at how spacious the room was. It was pleasantly furnished, and the TV, AC and Wifi were fine. The bathroom was also a good size and had some nice products. The closet was amply sized and I believe that it had a safe. I received an ironing board and iron pretty quickly when I requested them. I didn't notice any problems with cleanliness, housekeeping or outside noise messing with my sleep.

Check-out later was handled just as well as check-in. There were no problems with storing my bags for a few hours before I left. The staff was just as friendly as when I first entered.

The only recommendation I can make for improvement is that the elevator should have AC, as it was a bit stuffy in there. But that wasn't a big deal really.
A fun and comfortable stay overall!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank GMK1954
ScarletSingapore, Scarlet Singapore at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear GMK1954,

Thank you so much for your laudatory review of us! We are elated to hear that you appreciated the ambiance of the hotel as much as we do. Having said that, we have to attribute your lovely experience to the committed people we have at The Scarlet, who are what makes this abode that much more special.

On your next stay, do pay a visit to our beautiful rooftop bar, Breeze, that not only serves a refreshing selection of cocktails and bar foods, but also offers a spectacular view of the city landscape. We're certain you'll love it! We look forward to having you again!

Scarlet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is my second time staying at this hotel. The first one was in 2009 and the recent one in July 2014.

The Front Office Manager is super friendly and kind. I am upgraded and that really makes my trip! The room I stayed is next to the outdoor Jacuzzi. The room is nice. Facilities are great. Terrace gives relaxing feeling. Bed is big and good. I don't think I have any complaints about the room.

The service is nice. Staff are super helpful and friendly, esp the porter's desk.

The location is 5 min away from China Town MRT. It's next to Maxwell Food Centre where you can find Tian Tian Hainan chicken rice. The taxi driver told me to try it (and he spoke Thai to me!) All cool local foods are there. 7-11 is just in front of the hotel. Also are hair salons and some boutique shops.

Behind the hotel are loads of restaurant and bars on Club Street. On ang siang road, my friend took me to P.S. Cafe for brunch--heaven!

I will definitely stay here next time :-).

Room Tip: The Scarlet is in China Town. It's suitable for those who want to see things, not for shopping...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Kai_Kimchi
ScarletSingapore, Scarlet Singapore at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Kai_Kimchi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback. We are elated to have you back again at The Scarlet after five years and glad that you find our location in one of Singapore's historical enclaves a big plus still. It certainly looks like you had a great time exploring the hidden treats of Ann Siang Hill and had a feast at the popular Maxwell Food Centre!

If you're looking at a relaxing place to unwind the next time you visit us, you will be pleased to know that The Scarlet has a charming rooftop bar, Breeze, where you can enjoy a refreshing selection of cocktails and bar foods while enjoying the city's landscape. We look forward to welcoming you back to our embrace soon.

San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I was a bit disappointed with my stay and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone else. I stayed in Room 125 (July 11-13, 2014) and the room smelled musty and/or like mold and there were no windows in the room. I asked the front desk if there were any other equivalent rooms available and was told the only other rooms would require me paying an additional $40/$50. I expressed that I would have even accepted a downgrade to another room just to change rooms but none were available. I understand that there were no other rooms at the time, but my reservation also said it was for a queen bed, but I was given two double-beds pushed together with a protruding foam wedge between the mattresses that required me to sleep on either side of it. Moreover, I could hear the thumping of club music (albeit faintly) in the background that went on past 1am. So add all this together - musty room, no window, uncomfortable mattress, and adjacent to a nightclub - and you can see why I would not recommend this place.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the first floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ethannasr
ScarletSingapore, The Scarlet Management at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear ethannasr,

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. It is only through being made aware that we can make good where we have faltered. We're very sorry to hear about the cited incidents that led to your disappointment, and would like to assure you that this is likely an isolated circumstantial occurrence. This is certainly not The Scarlet's usual practice towards hospitality as we regard service to our guests as an utmost priority.

Admittedly, the expectation pertaining to the bed request should have been better managed. Likewise the service glitches with regards to the smell in the room has been shared with Housekeeping and will be looked into and promptly addressed.

Being converted from a heritage building, we seek your understanding that not all rooms come with windows. In fact, even rooms within the same category may have slightly varied sizes and configurations in observing the regulations that come with 'reconstruction' from conservation buildings. The Scarlet is located within the nightlife district of Ann Siang Hill, which many guests have come to love for adding eclectic colour to their stay experience. Having said that, we will keep a close monitor on your comments about noise.

Please accept our heartfelt apologies once again for not delivering an experience that lived up to expectations. We do humbly ask to be given another chance to change your impression, in your future travels to Singapore.

Graciously yours,
The Scarlet Management
USa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Location wise this is a great hotel as it is near to CBD. Rooms are small with decent bathroom. Scarlet is the intuitiveness of the staff regarding the needs of their guest. They anticipate and therefore they gave a sense of relief or an assurance that everything is taken care of. Many thanks to your staff jenny she is very helpful and friendly. She's like a flight attendant! I would say that this hotel has one of the best well trained staff. Furthermore, my appreciation also goes to the all staff of Breeze.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
1 Thank Anthony582
ScarletSingapore, Scarlet Singapore at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Anthony582,

It is indeed our utmost pleasure to receive such a stupendous review from you! To hear that our guests are happy and left with wonderful memories makes what we do even more meaningful. We look forward to create more special moments for you during your next stay.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

A friend suggested I try this boutique hotel and I was not disappointed. I was in Singapore on business and checked in late at night. The rooms were very clean and the service was great. Lovely personal service. Will look to stop here again as offered great value for money.

Room Tip: Very near Chinatown and very good market stalls at the weekend. Well worth a browse
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Paul_Gilbert
ScarletSingapore, Scarlet Singapore at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Paul_Gilbert,

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback. It warms our hearts to hear that you had a wonderful stay at The Scarlet! If you should be staying with us while on business again the next time, it may be helpful to know that BOLD, a singularly designed space located in the lobby, can be used to host business meetings or intimate corporate gatherings. You can find out more at http://www.thescarlethotels.com/singapore/my-meetings-and-events/

Looking forward to welcome you back, be it for work or vacation.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was looking for a hotel with free wifi & a balcony for a weekend stay in Singapore and came across a website which listed the Scarlet. Wasn't quite sure what to expect but decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did. Service was excellent. Room was small but cozy, clean and well decorated. There's lots of food around the corner and places to chill and I loved being able to come back a sit out on the balcony to unwind before going to bed. It was surprisingly quiet given the proximity to Ann Siang Hill. Would definitely recommend the Scarlet to others and looking forward to going back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Siti F
Dear Siti F,

We are immensely delighted to know that you had a relaxing weekend with us at The Scarlet. You will be pleased to know that we also have a charming rooftop bar, Breeze, that has just launched a new menu and serves as a wonderful place to unwind while enjoying a great city view under the stars. We hope to see you again soon!

Ha Noi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

The fact that I am a regular visitor to the Scarlet must say something about the place. In well over 20 visits I have found nothing bad about the place only good. The hotel is conveniently located for local transport and the staff are always friendly and welcoming. There is a great choice of places to eat within easy walking distance. The rooms may be considered by some to be small but they are more than adequate for stays of a week or more.
I will continue to use the Scarlet when in Singapore .

Room Tip: Some rooms only have a small window high up so if you like lots of light choose one on the outside w...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Location
2 Thank Dragonedin10
ScarletSingapore, Scarlet Singapore at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Dragonedin10,

Thank you for making The Scarlet your home in Singapore each time you visit. Wonderful words like yours definitely bring smiles to our faces and give more meaning to what we do. As our hotel is converted from a heritage building, rooms within one category may have slightly varied configurations. If you would like to consider a larger room for your next stay, there are our highly popular Premium Rooms or one of our 5 distinctive suites to make a choice from. We can't wait to welcome you back soon!