“Great Accommodation”

The Scarlet Singapore
Ranked #65 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I always research extensively before I book accommodation anywhere and this was no different. I had read rave reviews of the Scarlet and went without the Singapore stopover holiday option in order to book this accommodation. Overall I wasn't disappointed. I often get very frosty receptions from the locals in Singapore as they think I'm local but the staff were very friendly. Before I knew it Jenny was at the cab, opening the door and helping me with my luggage. I was even offered a cold towel to wipe my face with - a much needed luxury with the heat of Singapore. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a deluxe room so I had to upgrade to a premium room when I booked this accommodation. The room was spacious and decked out in the same eclectic furnishings as the rest of the hotel. I was disappointed that I didn't get a balcony but that was partly my fault I guess for not requesting it. The biggest drawback was the lack of windows you could look out of. There was a window high on one wall that allowed light in and above the bed was a very high ceiling with a skylight I think that also let some light in. No sleeping in this room - as soon as the sun rises the room becomes lighter. Thankfully I don't normally sleep in! The room comes with a safe, mini fridge with complimentary soft drink/juice/water/sparkling water which was also a pleasant surprise. The bathroom was magnificent, complete with the usual shower gel/shampoo/conditioner/body lotion. It also included some bath salts that you could use if you wanted to take advantage of the bathtub. At night you can hear some noise but it was quite muted and didn't bother me at all. The location of this hotel is great. It's right beside Maxwell Hawker Centre and you can always pop over for a cheap and delicious meal. It's also very near China Town where you can also get delicious food and the usual tourist paraphernalia. It's a very short walk to the MRT station and other assorted shopping experiences from shopping centres to little markets. I was a little disappointed that my room's mini fridge wasn't restocked with the water I had used up on the day before while exploring in Singapore and although it had been cleaned, was not to the standard that I had experienced on previous days. I'm not a messy person but the other times my room had been cleaned, even my plastic bags had been folded nicely, a strap used for my luggage had also been folded which had impressed me to no end!! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for quality accommodation that is conveniently located with helpful and very friendly staff.

Room Tip: I don't think I would stay in a room on the ground floor again. If possible ask for one higher u...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank S P
ScarletSingapore, Scarlet Singapore at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear S P,

Thank you for your sparkling and in depth review. We appreciate it very much!

The Scarlet is indeed well loved for our charming location and wonderful accessibility. We are touched to hear of how you found delight in our service too!

Every guest is important to us and we simply cannot wait to offer you the best service again the next time you’re back!

Also, as The Scarlet is converted from a heritage building, our rooms may differ slightly in terms of size and configurations within the same category.

If you have any special requests or anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable, do let us know. We’d be more than happy to assist!

Scarlet

Write a ReviewReviews (1,599)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Unique hotel with a quirky appeal. On arrival greeted with a lovely welcome and smile from the front office person, Jenny. Treated by all staff as a old friend. We stayed in a 3rd floor room with a balcony. The room was adequate for our short stay and was well stock with quality bathroom amenities. The bed was so comfortable that we had to put on 2 alarms in the morning so we would not sleep in and miss our flight. The hotel is well located in the China Town precinct of Singapore and very close to all public transport.
Would recommend to friends visiting Singapore or anybody looking for something different from the larger hotels.

Room Tip: Stay more than 1 night to enjoy all the benefits.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
ScarletSingapore, Manager at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear red91154,

It was such a pleasure to receive your heartfelt review! The Scarlet is indeed well-loved for our accessibility and distinct interior; hopefully, even more so for our genuine service. Knowing that we've made made you feel so welcomed and utterly pampered simply makes us smile!

We are grateful for your kind recommendation and look forward to have you with us again.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

This is a very lovely hotel - yes, even the Executive room was a little bit small but there was enough space especially considering the balcony I had. You can see that there has been a good refurbishment - this is not a brand new hotel but it has character and is in very good condition. Both the rooms and the public areas have a quality, boutique feel (although it is a bit of a maze at first!)
Breakfast was reasonable for the price - again a nice ambiance - but the location of the hotel means that there are lots of dining choices nearby for all budgets anyway. It is also very handy for the gay bars.

The last thing to mention is the service which was impeccable throughout. Everyone was very helpful and I was especially happy that having requested a quiet room the one I had was perfectly silent - during the day and at night (Room 232).

Will definitely stay here again on my next visit to Singapore.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
ScarletSingapore, Manager at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Darren_M_Williams,

We are simply elated to hear that you had such wonderful moments at The Scarlet. Every guests is special to us, And your kind compliments have truly made our day!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

A street of traditional Singapore Shop Houses has been tastefully converted into a low-rise boutique Hotel. The décor is refreshingly different and the service outstanding. Max in particular at the reception desk was friendly, knowledgeable and most helpful. By Singapore standards the tariff was reasonable and the Chinatown location very convenient with lots of reasonably priced restaurants nearby. We would stay at the Scarlet again

Room Tip: Rooms with skylights instead of windows are larger, quiet and unique.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian M

Dear Brian M,

Thank you for such an excellent review! Scarlet is well loved for its central location and hopefully even more so for the personalised experience we deliver to each of our guests.

We can't wait to pamper you again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We went here for a weekend trip to Singapore. Attractions and sights are within walking distance, Chinatown is right around the corner. Many good restaurants are situated right next to the hotel, lively bar scene. Rooms are well furnished, service is good. And well... We had a deluxe room with daylight (I would not call it a window).. But that's the way it is in Singapore.... For a weekend trip a definite recommendation.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 187331Dan
ScarletSingapore, Manager at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear 187331Dan,

We are certainly glad to hear you enjoyed the sights and sounds of our quaint little neighbourhood. We love being a part of this wonderful location too!.

If you didn't get the chance to visit our very own rooftop bar Breeze during this stay, we strongly urge you to venture up on your next trip, to try its refreshing cocktails and delectable bar menu. We're quite sure you'll fall in love with the view and atmosphere!

Should you plan to stay longer and would prefer a larger room on your next stay, there is our popular category of Premium Rooms or any one of our 5 indulgent for consideration.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Asian style service - welcome towels and dignified service. Detailed, lovely interiors and quite large rooms. Very fast Internet. Excellent location one minute way from hawker centre - great food and fresh drinks! Not so far from two MRT stations (Chinatown and Tanjong Pagar). It was a good choice to stay in Singapore Chinatown! Although the hotel is great think twice before booking a room in the near future, until works on the street will end (and it may take months!) :( Unfortunately, hotel doesn't inform guests about excavation works conducted directly under the hotel windows!

You know what I mean? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jriApiCPaVY

It's quite a surprise and rather embarrassing moment at check-in when guests hear and feel that they made a wrong decission ... Everyone is asking for a QUIET room because of banging a pneumatic hammer outside! Particularly troublesome is that after a long flight and jetlag there is no chance to get some sleep. Hotel stuff inform that works are taken ONLY (!?!?) from 9 am to 6 pm ... but this is the hotel - if you want to relax during the day - forget it - this noice will blow up your head! Manager seems to know that if he would inform guests prior to arrival about inconvenience, hotel would be empty! So it's a trick. After check-in or booking (depends what type of reservation you will make) you are stuck. There is no way to an earlier check-out - they don't care about the fact that people don't want to pay for listening to a jackhammer! Didn't enjoy manager proposal of change the room for an additional charge.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear clipek,

Thank you for sharing an in-depth review of your stay in June. It is certainly heartening to hear that you found delight in more ways than one – from the thoughtful service, fast connectivity and central location, to the décor and rooms as well. The team continues to do their best to create individual experiences that will make each guest smile.

We sincerely regret that this otherwise positive experience was affected by noise from the surrounding road works. We are happy to update that these works have since ceased upon completion. Our heartfelt apologies too for not being able to change your room at that time as the hotel was experiencing very high occupancy then.

We only hope to be granted the opportunity to provide you with a better experience on your next visit to Singapore. Looking forward to be of service again.

Yours sincerely
The Scarlet Management

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This was the perfect hotel to spend an evening. Conveniently situated near the Maxwell Food Centre and a 10-minute walk from the Chinatown MRT station. It was easily accessible to everything we were looking for. Yna and the other staff were very helpful and gave us a wake-up call and arranged to have a cab pick us up the day of our departure. I would definitely recommend this to others. Be sure to request a room with a window.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
ScarletSingapore, Manager at The Scarlet Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Adrienne_M,

The Scarlet is well-loved for our central location and hopefully even more so, for the genuine service we give to make each guest feel special. We are glad to know that you found much convenience during your stay and it certainly makes our day to hear that you've been touched by our team's little acts of service. Thank you from our hearts!
We can't wait to pamper you again at The Scarlet in the near future.