“Chic 'n' Cozy Boutique Hotel in Colorful Charming Exotic Neighborhood”

The Scarlet Singapore
Ranked #52 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
LI, NY
“Chic 'n' Cozy Boutique Hotel in Colorful Charming Exotic Neighborhood”
Reviewed 19 January 2009

I loved the Scarlet. At first I was a little surprised to find this tiny boutique hotel in a very "local" flavor section of Chinatown in Singapore. The Hotel and my room were small, but the vibe, decor and atmosphere made up for it. I really liked this place.

Yes, I too wish I had a window, my light also came from some weird "hole" in the ceiling 15 feet up in a small abyss in the ceiling, but no complaints, I wasn't in my room all that much, there is SO much to see in Singapore.

I loved the small restaurant. Although I thought continental breakfast was included with my stay, I don't think it was but that's ok. The service was excellent, the food, above average.

I had a drink on the roof bar. Super cool ambience and views here.

Lobby was awesome, and staff was accommodating and kind. The location was great, although too far to walk to several key areas in Singapore like Clark Quay. Taxis are plentiful and reasonably priced from what I recall.

Singapore is not a cheap city, but still cheaper IMHO than Manhattan or London.

I would easily stay at the Scarlet again and recommend it to other travelers ONLY if you appreciate the boutique hotel experience. This is a FAR cry from a huge Hilton, Hyatt or Sheraton.

Good luck and have fun in Singapore, a very clean and very safe city :)

• Liked — The General Vibe & the boutique look and feel.
  • Disliked — No window in room, felt a little like staying in a basement.
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank kydonia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed 16 January 2009

2 nights here en route to New Zealand from the UK - what a treat staying at The Scarlet. The building is interesting and quirky and the rooms, whilst small, are so well appointed, the beds so comfortable, the showers so good, that size ceases to be an issue. Small is beautiful!
My job revolves around 5-star hotels throughout Europe, and the service at The Scarlet is practically on a par with these establishments. This hotel is visually more interesting and more beautiful than many 5-star business hotels too. The dim lighting is a cool respite from the tropical heat, and I had the best strawberry mojito on the roof top bar I have ever had. The food is superb, the breakfast is very good indeed, and to be able to step out into Chinatown, and also have interesting bars and restaurants within 2-5 mins walking distance is fab. If you want to deviate from bog-standard tourist hotels, I really recommend The Scarlet. I will be back next time I pass through Singapore - this hotel now represents S'pore to me!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank becks34
Haarlem, Netherlands
Reviewed 7 January 2009

Arriving with a cab into Singapore Centre I was suprised with the intimate Scarlet hotel. Indeed the hotel and the room is dark but it has a nice warmth. The rooms are not so big but convenient enough , especially when your touring around town during the day and come in to get some rest.

The food-court is closeby and you can wander around China town which is around the corner.

Breakfast is simple but with the a la carte menu you have a good start of the day! Don't forget to visit the roof top bar, spectacular view over Singapore by night and has a good restaurant.

The bathroom could use a renewal but was ok.

Overall, it was a great start for our 4 weeks Singapore / Malaysia and I'm glad we didn't check in a rather cold an businesslike hotel.

• Liked — The intimate feel of the place, the roof terrace / restaurant
  • Disliked — The small pool (but who needs one when strolling around town all day)
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C_Dutch
Bucharest
Reviewed 5 January 2009

A really nice boutique hotel in ChinaTown. Next to a good hawker (food-court). Great acces to all ChinaTown's tourist atractions. Nice clean rooms, very cozy. The bathroom was full of cosmetics and other products.
The breakfast was nice - a la carte combined with a buffet.

• Liked — The cozy feeling
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vlad M
Sheffield
Reviewed 4 January 2009

I stayed here with my partner in May 2007. We asked for a room with a window and got the most horrible room with a so-called skylight that was hidden up behind a wall, so the light that came in was barely noticeable (i.e, the room was practically pitch black and you couldn't see where the tiny chink of light was even coming from). The room was horribly claustrophobic and over-dressed. When we stated we had asked for a window, the Reception woman who showed us to our room just wasn't interested.

In the morning we complained and spoke to a different Receptionist who moved us with no problems and we had a window this time.

Breakfast was nothing special in the over-dressed breakfast room. But on the last day there appeared to be a work conference on and there was a sign at the bottom of the stairs leading to the restaurant indicating it was closed due to the function. When we asked where we were supposed to have breakfast, which we had paid for in our booking, the same unhelpful Reception woman just pointed outside and told us to go and find a restaurant outside somewhere! My other half complained at this point and suddenly we were allowed into the breakfast room and there was no function on inside. But we just felt awkward and that we had to hurry.

We would never stay here again. For the most part, things just seemed too much trouble for the staff. The narrow corridors wound on forever and were very claustrophic - if they had a fire in there, goodness knows how you would get out in a hurry, particulary from the 'basement' rooms (where we were put initially).

The rooms were over-dressed, gloomy and stuffy as was the hotel and for the most part, its staff. An uncomfortable experience.

For the record I have never complained about a hotel before, but this one was not nice, considering it was supposed to be higher up the range.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SitgesDreams
Melbourne
Reviewed 2 January 2009

My girlfriend and I travelled to Singapore for New Years Eve (riverside table at Khubus Indian restaurant in Boat Quay - highly recommended for the food and view of the NYE fireworks). I had previously stayed at the Re Hotel, which was also good, but the Scarlet was great. The rooms are small but luxurious and comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The area the hotel is in is very chic and clean and the short walk past the Chinese and Hindu temples and through the markets to get to Chinatown MRT station was interesting rather than an effort. From there most places are easily accessible via MRT and walking from the cty centre, Boat Quay or Clarke Quay is only about a 15 minute casual walk. There is no good reason to pay over the top for a plain room in a generic 5 star in Orchard Road when the Scarlet offers such style and value.

When you do stay there, please ask the staff why the outdoor spa on Level 2B is heated (!) when I would assume most people would like a refreshing dip as respite from the tropical heat.

• Liked — Style and service
  • Disliked — Small rooms, hot (!) spa
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Brad H
United States
Reviewed 30 December 2008

My husband and I stayed in this hotel as a treat from our family after conducting research for four months in Sumatra. We arrived from Jakarta late at night, completely bedraggled and with tons of equipment. The staff did not bat an eye at our appearance and showed us to the most delightful room and we immediately relaxed into the the luxury of the Scarlet. Our family had splurged on an executive room for us and it was well worth it. The balcony was so peaceful that I wished we had hours to spend there. The room was small, but elegant and very comfortable. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the shower was one of the best I have experienced in a hotel. The staff was very accommodating and when we requested a 4:30 wake up call to catch our plane, we were greeted with hot tea at our door. In all, it was a very wonderful experience for us and we would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to splurge in Singapore!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple