“Great hotel, Amazing location.”

The Scarlet Singapore
Ranked #52 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, Amazing location.”
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This hotel is fantastic, it is as simple as that.

When you enter the lobby (which is extremely grand and very posh!) you are in for a surprise as you are led down a warren of labyrinthine corridors to your room. I was surprised at the sheer size of the place and really liked this peculiar trait of the old shophouses the hotel inhabits, as I think it adds to the unique charm of the place.

I was a little worried about the size of the rooms before I got there as this seems to be the one thing everyone criticises it for on here, but I have to say they weren't that bad at all. We had the executive deluxe room and I have to say it was more than roomy enough for two of us plus all our luggage (which we stored in the large wardrobe). The en suite was also very nice, but I was a little disconcerted that the toilet faced the bed with only a frosted glass door between you and the room. A little wierd for you morning ... well, you know. Also the so called LCD flatscreen is actually an old style large TV, but these aren't exactly huge criticisms, they are just the only things I could fault them on! The little touches in the room such as a free newspaper, umbrella, etc, all just add to the charm.

The price is a little steep for a boutique hotel, but this is Singapore and it is an average price, for a nice hotel you would struggle to get anything below this price range and lets face it there are a lot more expensive places too; so on that basis I'd say it was more than a fair price. I wouldn't use the room service or restaurant or anything though as these were really expensive and there was a 7/11 at the end of the street and plenty of other places to eat.

The location cannot be beaten, it is right next to Chinatown, (Smith street/Pagoda street are just across the road), it is a five minute leisurely walk to the MRT stop, and the Maxwell Road Food Court (one of the best in Singapore) is literally facing it (all you have to do is cross the road, walk across a small car park and you are there!

The staff are ultra friendly and polite too, and also very helpful. If you have any problems or requests, they will go out of their way; excellent service.

the gym in the hotel is free to use. It is small and basic, but has just enough for you to have a basic workout if you need to work off all the food from the night markets. The free weights are very limited, but have just enough to have a basic light workout.

Overall, this is a great hotel, and I would not hesitate to return.

9 Thank MichaelHuxley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Excellent location in China Town and very good value. Friendly and helpful staff.
Very small rooms.

London
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Let me start by saying that the staff were great at this hotel and responded to every request or issue with charm and efficiency. However, it is a boutique hotel which allows it some leeway when judging it against star rating system. The heritage building and location are fine but if you are used to staying in 4/5 star properties, including heritage hotels, there will be much about the facilities of this hotel which will disappoint. Rooms - we stayed in a deluxe (one step up from their standard rooms) which I chose because previous reviews said that standard rooms could be without natural light - well this room (108) had windows but they were at ceiling level and you would have to be much taller than me to see out of them, which you wouldn't be able to do as they are a) opaque glass and b) permanently covered by ceiling to floor curtains which do not draw (or if they are meant to then mine were broken!). This is probably because they are actually at street level for the alleyway behind the hotel - witnessed by the fact that from early in the morning there is the sound of trolleys being wheeled noisily past the windows. The rooms were adequately furnished, although very small, but this arrangement gave the impression of being housed in a cellar. Perhaps rooms higher up the building would be better - I didn;t get a chance to see. Also checked in late and TV in the room was not working (no sound) - to be fair the hotel fixed this quickly and efficiently but I would have thought they may have checked this. Finally if you are leaving on a late flight as we were and are unable to get a late check out, beware the facilities offered for changing/showering - we were offered a shower facility on the second floor however it turned out to be a shower cubicle alongside the toilet facilities used by guests of the bar/restaurant several floors up - as you are trying to change you are therefore on noddin acquaintance with the many people going in and out of the toilets - not very pleasant end to our stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2011

This was my fourth stay at the Scarlet and it won't be my last. It's a heritage building in the heart of Singapore's Chinatown in an unbeatable location, just step out of the door and in seconds you can enjoy the atmosphere, food and welcome in this ultra safe historic district (the whole of Singapore is ultra safe anyway!). Day or night Chinatown has something to offer and the Scarlet is the place to do it from. It's a heritage building so the cheaper rooms are definitely on the small size but you are booking the location here and a funky hotel with lots of great features. And, not once in my stay did I pass a member of staff who failed to greet me, by name if they knew it. One morning i got totally mixed up about what time it was and arrived for breakfast half an hour after it closed. The waiters sat me at a table and organised something for me. That's what they are like at the Scarlet. Broadband in rooms but Wifi only in public areas, but hotel tells me there are in process of getting Wifi into all rooms soon. Try the Scarlet for a non hotel chain experience in a wonderful part of the city.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We stayed for 2 nights on our way to Australia. The decor is elegant and plush and although the rooms are small, they are very comfortable and stylish. It is close to China town and we found it convenient for getting about and to and from the airport by public transport. We enjoyed the roof top bar, but we didn't use the restaurant, although it did look very nice.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
koh samui
Reviewed 5 February 2011

When I book the hotel , the receptionist says that the room has open roof top with a see-through glass to see the open sky with star, I think that wonderful . So I book the hotel , but it let me so disappointed! Terrible scam , cheats ! No good service! Bad attitude ! No refund when I find out that there are a lot of hooters around this hotel! Very bad experience! I beg all the customers "Please don't book this hotel!"

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank nyccom
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2011

We had two nights in Singapore and loved it here. We had previously stayed at a couple of large comfortable 5 star chain hotels -- and they were fine. But we loved this one for being right at Chinatown which we thought was a good place for venturing in and out.

The hotel itself was smaller than the big chains, and we found the service friendly and personal the whole time. We stayed one level up from the basic room -- it was actually big and very comfortable. It did not have a window but for us here, that didnt matter -- and staying in Chinatown meant that we werent looking for a river view or staying in the room anyway.

So I understand the problems of some of the other reviews if you do find yourself in small windowless rooms -- all that we can say is that we found we had a very good room in a great location at a good discount price.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple