“Good place to stay with a family”
Review of Hotel 81 Hollywood

Hotel 81 Hollywood
Ranked #198 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed at hotel 81 Hollywood, wow nice place, nice hotel staff, specially would like to thank David. I strongly recommend clean, decent, safe place to stay in. I traveled from Sri Lanka and stayed 4 days at the hotel. The hotel staff was very friendly and nice to us all time. Valued for money and I wish to stay once more when I visit to Singapore.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rukshan D

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Book for friend to stay for a short trip. Service and room is avarage. Room is small. Don't have any cabinet, fridge but cost 85 sgd. It is a place where you can find chinese food nearby. Can take bus to city with 5 mins.

Room Tip: If you want a place to eat chinese food, it is here.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The staff are very friendly and accomodating...the location is perfect and many restaurants nearby...accessible to public transports...clean room and clean bathroom...i love the vicinity...the room is cold...

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The staffs are very friendly and accomodating. The location is great having many restaurant nearby and accesible to public trasportation such as bus or mrt. They have small but clean, cold, and comfortable one.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank mrkii
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Hotel is about 1 km from the train/metro station and it’s not too hard to locate with little help/proper map. Hotel is located in the ”red light” district which cannot be seen during the day light but in the evening you can see all the signs such as happy house or group of girls standing next to the hotel. Hotel itself was really quiet. This hotel is really basic with small rooms with locked windows so I only recommend this place for sleeping. If you are planning to spend more time in the room don’t choose this hotel. Basically there is just a bed, AC and a bathroom.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2014

hotel check in was a breeze... the guy in the front desk just had to key in my guest info and check in was fast. this is a good hotel if you want reasonable rates. they have fast wifi too.... it is also accessible to a lot of food stalls. I checked in late and there were a lot of indian males (some drunk) in the streets so I would recommend this place to those in groups and not for solo tourists. this hotel has very courteous staff too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank hellokitty1111
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This is the first time that tripadvisor reviews have ever led me wrong. I booked and paid for Hotel 81 Hollywood a month or 2 before my trip, and no refund options available.

We checked into Hotel 81 on Mar 10th, late at night. During our trip throughout Malaysia, people would ask where we're going to stay in Singapore and everytime we said Geylang area we always got the same reaction. We knew it was the "red light" district, but reviews had said it wasn't that bad.

The hotel is a brothel. As we were checking in, 2 different sets of men and women came in, tossed a few bills over the counter, got a room key and went up the elevator. This is all fine as they kept to themselves, but it makes you wonder how well they clean the rooms after. Secondly, upon getting to the room, as soon as I opened the door I was suffocated by strong, strong cigarette smoke and whatever cloying spray they use to cover it up (a non-smoking room). I can handle old hotel rooms with old smokey smell, it's common, but this was so bad I could hardly breathe. For the 30 minutes we were actually in the room, it sounded like a constant flow of people up and down the halls, and a bell that kept dinging. I was also getting a migraine from the smell.

We were booked for 3 nights here, and after a half hour, we packed up all our stuff and went down to the front desk and checked out. They were a little surprised but I knew I only had 3 days in Singapore, and this hotel, and this area was not going to cut it. There was TONS of food outside in the area, but it was all asian. Also the MRT station was not close by for anyone wanting to know that.

We ended up showing up at J8 hotel at midnight and checking into a FANTASTIC, clean, comfortable room. Made our trip perfect and I'm so glad we decided to forfeit the money for Hotel 81.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple