“Tiny room, thin walls, but a great location next to Chinatown”

Hotel 81 - Chinatown
Ranked #242 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Had a chance to visit Singapore for a weekend and decided to give this place a try. The biggest motivation of picking this hotel was the price and location.

For what I needed for my visit, this hotel was more than adequate.

My biggest complaint would be about the walls are not properly sound proof and I was able to hear all the sounds coming from other rooms.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel 81 - Chinatown

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Looking for a budget hotel in Singapore is quite easy but sometimes the standard is just too low. Not so this hotel which albeit basic is quite sufficient. The location right in Chinatown is brilliant and Chinatown is the place to see in Singapore. Stayed for 3 nights which was enough and I am glad that I declined the corporate hpotel that my company arranged for something far more interesting!

Room Tip: Ask fior a quiet room!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Location: Great location which is just few steps away from Chinatown MRT entrance & next to Chinatown Point Shopping mall.
Cleanliness: The room cleanliness is good and nothing much to complain. However, the corridor of level 4 is with strong cooking smell. (I m not sure whether there is restaurant next door or what)
Room size: Room size is a bit too small for 2 persons but still acceptable.
Others:We are required to pay an additional of SD30 for the additional bed for 3rd person. However, the room size can only allow an additional of XXS size mattress on the floor (about 1/2 width of a super single mattress).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My husband and I travel every couple of months and we found Singapore was a really tough place to find accommodation in. Most places were either over budget for us or were clearly hovels. We chose this one as there was a wide range of reviews and we hoped that we would be lucky. Our rule when we travel is that as long as a place is clean and safe, it will do for sleeping and leaving our stuff in.

The location of the hotel is first class. You literally couldn't have a better location, as the subway is across the road and there is a lot to see in the local area. The cleanliness of the hotel also can't be faulted, and as other reviewers have noted, the smell of bleach hits you as soon as you enter. The room is very small, but pretty much what we expected for this price.

The cons, however, for us outweighed the pros, as the sleep quality was horrendous. I am the sort of person who can sleep through a whole flight or crash on an airport floor and I hardly slept at all in this hotel, as the light from the street practically lit up the whole room. The noise also meant that even when I did manage to sleep, I would be awoken by doors being banged shut and people coming in from evenings out, shouting to their friends. The lack of shut eye really impacted on my holiday, as I hardly felt up to a day out in the city, after being awake half the night.

I regretfully give this hotel 2/5. This is unfortunate as there were some good things, and I loved Singapore. Soundproofing would be a great thing. Nothing messes with my sleep!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room that doesn't face onto the street. It may be quieter for you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dubaipenguinchick
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We planned to stay here for four nights.

Location: It's hard to fault the location. Across the road from the Chinatown MRT entrance, you won't get sweaty before reaching the subway. There are eateries, including the Maxwell Road Hawker Centre with the greatest Hainanese chicken rice in all of the world, within walking distance, as well as the Marina Bay Area. Clarke Quay is also one MRT stop away. It was nice to be able to run down to Marina Bay for a morning run until I got cocky and then stepped in a hole and sprained my ankle, but I digress.

Rooms: As other reviewers have mentioned, if you don't plan on staying in the room often and don't have a lot of luggage, you'll probably be ok. I'll add that if you don't mind the the toilet being practically inside the shower, you'll be ok. In the room we had, there was no space to open either of our suitcases completely. Our room also smelt of smoke, and after a request to change rooms, we could only get the room sprayed with toilet spray smelling deodorizer. The air con unit above the bed was extremely noisy.

Service: In my opinion, they provided the minimum amount of service possible to avoid being classed as indifferent.

We ended up checking out one night early and checking in to the Mandarin Orchard.

My recommendation: If you are a bit of a princess, or your partner is a bit of a princess (aka likes to find things to complain about like getting her feet wet when using the toilet), then I would pay a bit more to stay somewhere else to avoid the hassle. Otherwise, this is a good location to stay in and at the ceiling of being good value.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marcus K
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I stayed in other Hotel 81 before so I knew what to expect when I decided to stay here.

I arrived from Europe so after a long flight, surely would appreciate an early check-in but this thing rarely happen :) especially in Singapore. I have requested early check-in around 11.00 which is already 3 hours after my actual arrival time so room was not ready but I knew it thus I just asked if they could make a room ready by 12.00 (normal check-in is 14.00), then I left to get a quick lunch.

When I returned my room was (almost) ready, it was already past 12.00 so I waited for a while then given an option of a room without a window. I took it finally as it is just one short night stay.

Room is small or tiny is more like it. I travel with a friend and I have a bulky luggage so it was kinda tricky to jump around in the room

Internet is available but not quite fast, just standard speed. Bathroom is so small, it is just a standing shower, wash basin and a toilet thus after a shower it is guaranteed to wet the floor.

The smell of the corridor and room is very strong, I believe they constantly spray those air refreshers when the housekeeping clean up the rooms (same time in the corridor), it was quite strong. I wonder why don't they install several auto air-refresher in every floor with a milder smell.

The reception staffs are helpful enough. The location is right at the corner of Upper Park Road so even taxi is unable to stop right in front of the hotel. My taxi stopped approximately 50 meters away at the other alley, but it was not a problem to walk. Same thing when I checked out, I have read from other review here, impossible to call a taxi but near by taxi stands are just walkable, one just across the street in Chinatown Point, the other is situated People Park's Centre

Food court is also easy to find. Chinatown is just on another corner too.

However, there is a new budget hotel also next door (Bliss Hotel), I did not check their room but it surely looks more modern contemporary so Hotel 81 should really watch out !!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kongco
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Hotel 81 in Chinatown is okay for traveller who will not be staying too long inside the room. The room is so small but quite clean. Internet is free but no too strong when inside the room. Nice thing about this hotel is very near the subway just right across the street. Near to all attractions. Also near to malls and streetmarkets and food stalls.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the fire exit if you are a smoker.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business