“Good Hotel Bad location”
Review of Hotel 81 - Geylang

Hotel 81 - Geylang
Ranked #207 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is in the Gaylang area (Red Light Area of SG) probably not well suited for everyone. Although we had No problems and there is an MRT station nearby. Had to book for a transit stay as other hotels were occupied. Very Clean hotel with all the required facilities including a bathtub. Little overly priced within the same range of hotels. Good hotel if there is no best alternatives. Staff are very friendly and very much helpful. Arranged the pickup Taxi and was very helpful from the start till end.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Ok so first things first.... Its a BUDGET HOTEL so be warned. Secondly its bang smack in the middle of the Red light area...as in RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT.
Its definitely an experience and although the signs warn of crime in the area we seen none of it. In 3 days and nights we seen 2 westerners , everyone is Asian here.
The food is spot on , cheap as anything and pretty decent stuff. Most of the food here is Chinese.
The hotel serves a purpose but expect zero luxuries.....and the cleaning staff started making a noise at 7 am....they just didn't care.
Reception staff were friendly and they upgraded me for $10 a night as I refused to unpack until they moved me.
Go for the Geylang road experience but don't flash the cash or the camera....I found it safe enough and that was even on the dark n dodgy back streets.

Room Tip: Sorry...no good tips , just take it on the chin.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Cumbriafoodie
Reviewed 26 April 2014

There is nothing cheap in Singapore, so if you are stuck for a night on a budget this is what you get. I found the area interesting, including the girls of the night, but it's obviously not for everyone. There's some good, cheap food and drinks nearby.
Room was clean, although you cant help but wonder about previous inhabitants.
If you dont mind sleazing it for a little it's a safe and comfortable enough budget place for a night. Definitely wouldn't recommend it for more than that.

Room Tip: I've stayed a couple of times and picked the most expensive room. Not sure it's any better t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We booked this hotel thinking that for the price, it should be a decent no-frills place to stay in Singapore. The standard of our room didn't really reflect the price, even for expensive Singapore. The room was very, very basic (just a bed in a room with a mirror, and a bathroom with a shower over the toilet and a pump dispenser for soap/bodywash/shampoo), but the worst part was the smell. The mattresses are hoseable, and with it being right in the middle of Geylang's prostitutes, the room smelled like barely masked cigarette smoke and what I think hookers smell like. It was pretty unpleasant to be in. We spent most of our time wandering the streets (which was pretty fun - the hotel is well situated to see some of the more interesting and seedier aspects of Singapore - prostitutes, back alley gambling and street corner knock off viagara salesmen).

Air con worked, TV had only basic channels (no cable, so only 1-2 channels in English) but worked, there are no other facilities to comment on.

It's really seedy, and I think it's probably scraping the bottom of the barrel for accommodation. I really wouldn't recommend it unless everything else is booked - it's dobale, but not the most pleasant experience. The smell from our bags for weeks after our 3 night stay reminded us of the most unromantic Valentines Day ever - surrounded by rooms full of sad Singaporean men and sadder Singaporean prostitutes.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank briannaAU
Reviewed 8 April 2014

What I mean is its located in the red light district of Sg. It was our first time to be in SG and we do not have an idea that this place is not good to stay. Luckily, we never saw any fly by night girls during our stay. The hotel is affordable .. maybe the cheapest of all. I love the staff because they allowed us to check -in even if it's still 9 am. Or maybe because two of the staff were Filipinos. They gave us complimentary bottled water and lend us charger adoptor.

If the location is not on a red light district, the hotel would be the most sought hotel in SG.

Room Tip: choose the middle floors..
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gracefulwalk
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 days and it is the most terrible hotel I have ever stayed in.
It is located right in the middle of the red light district and every time I went outside for a cigarette I was accosted by prostitutes. Even when My partner and I went to a local restaurant we were stared at and one man even followed us back to the hotel. when I confronted him he said he wanted my partner 'after I had finished with her' - he got punched in the mouth.
The staff are respectful and helpful. The rooms are very basic and need a refurb. The cleaning is poor. The restaurants nearby are filthy dirty and the hang-out for the prostitutes and their punters.
The only people who would want to stay here are the sad single sex tourists who frequent SE Asia and I would not recommend it to a couple or family.The staff happily rent rooms per the hour to prostitutes and punters.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris M
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Singapore is expensive! In trying to find decent accommodations that
were not "dorm type" rooms I came across Hotel 81 (Premier) Star in the
Geylang district. For the offerings of Singapore this was a jewel. Yes,
this is the red light district of Singapore but I was never hassled in
any way and it actually made for some of the best people watching I
have ever experienced. Too much fun, but back to the hotel. They have 2
elevators that work beautifully. The bed is soooo comfortable and lots
of hot water with an a/c that performs wonderfully. The towels are of
excellent quality and the sheets and cover were crisp and fresh. The
staff: Belle, Fate, Jason, Foo, Eric and Alex..they all rocked.
Pleasant; Helpful; Always Smiling; Courteous; come up with an adjective
to describe the people you want working in your business and these
folks fit it!! Their personalities and professionalism made it an easy
decision to stay 4 nights instead of my originally planned 2. The
internet while fast, connectivity at times was sketchy. Perhaps that
comes from the very frequent change of user name an passwords. But
again, this staff is by far the finest and most pleasant group I have
found since coming to Asia on 4 December.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo