“Small - but comfortable”

Hotel Clover 5 HongKong Street
Ranked #143 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Our first night staying here we were greeted by a very useless young man. This (luckily) was our only time we saw him though and the rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful with everything.

The rooms are very small - you have to leave your luggage on the floor (which is small) or under the bed making the room feel messy when you are in it. The showers are housed in small glass rooms where the door opens inwards - without sounding mean, if you are of a plump build, you may find it difficult to get in the shower and close the door as there is little room to do this - for that point, if you are large I would avoid staying here. Luckily none of us are so this was fine.

There is a roof top pool which is great - small but nice. There is also a shower up there in a lockable room with toilet and basin in a wet room style. This was great as we had a late flight at 11pm and the staff allowed us to stay up there all day and use the services even after we had checked out at 9am. This makes this a great hotel as we got to sunbathe all day and then shower before getting on the plane, and with Singapore humidity - this made it a massive plus.

If you're looking for a place just to get your head down then its great. Perhaps a little over priced considering the size of the rooms, but you will be pushed to find a more modern and clean hotel so close to the center.

Room Tip: I think the rooms are all the same to be honest as stayed in 4 different rooms (2 couples staying tw...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 130MikeB130

Reviewed 11 April 2014

The hotel was spotlessly clean.
It is very close to Clarke Quay and this I fear is reflected in the price. The lobby is very small and there are no leaflets or maps to help you get around.
The staff are helpful.
The breakfast was average. When I stayed the coffee/tea maker was broken so there was only orange juice - well actually orange juice drink - very sweet. No effort was made to find a kettle to make tea or coffee. Disappointing.
The decor was pleasing.
I think it is overpriced.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Arrived after a very long trip from the UK. The man at check in couldn't speak much English and wasn't very helpful. But I think he was new. He didn't even show us where the lift was. The lift itself was very hard to use, you needed you key card to get it to work and we had to change ours twice and it still didn't work so we had to take the stairs on a number of occasions.
We finally got to the room and there was a horrible smell inside. Not sure what it was, kind or smelt like gone off soap! Maybe the cleaning products they use were off!?
The room itself was tiny! No room
To move and thankfully I'm a tiny person! The shower was lovely though but leaks into the bedroom as it is right next to the bed. Very powerful and hot though and decent in size.
The toilet room which is separate from the shower was so small when you sit on the loo your basically touching the sink!
Nice free amenities in there though.
Bed was very hard but also seemed comfy and was perfect for a bad back after a long plane journey.
The view... Well there was none just the building site across the road. They didn't seem to do much work though so they were pretty quiet.

Overall a very nice hotel with brilliant location. 5 mins walk from the main bars and shops and loads of to see and do- Chinatown, the botanical gardens and much more.
We are staying here on our return journey so I will update this review with any new things that may happen.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reviewqueen86
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed at this quaint boutique hotel 3wks ago for 3 nights and what a find it is! Excellent location..walk to Jumbo Seafood Restaurants at Clark Quay and the Fullerton Hotel a short stroll for your Sunday Banquet. Bustling Chinatown is a 5 minute stroll and the MRT which links you to everywhere is just up the road. I caught the MRT to Little India, walked to Kampong Glam District and to Raffles and back to the hotel all this in a couple of hours. Sure the rooms are small, but this is Singapore. More than anything I couldn't fault the staff at this hotel. From the Reception check-in to the Breakfast Service and Room Cleaning, all staff excelled themselves providing the most friendly and hospitable service at all times. Thanks so much for looking after me. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sharonofthesahara192
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Previous comments abot rooms being small are correct however that ultimately is a value for space decision each of us make. Being a larger frame European I found my week in the hotel rather cramped.

The worst aspect however is the construction site across the road. It is vey noisy with constant pile driving jack hammering abd other loud construction noises. The road in front of the hotel is constantly blocked with concrete trucks and other construction related vehicles. If you have a car you will find it will get totally covered in dust from the construction site. As I am planning to return I went to the site to talk to the supervisor who turned out to be extremely rude telling me that construction would go on until mid June 2015 and if I didn't like it I should ***** off. He also mentioned that the Saatchi building next door would soon under demolition and reconstruction.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Euro909
Reviewed 17 March 2014

First of all, I understand that the room will be just enough for most of asian traveller but may be a bit cramped for european or american travelers. I stayed here because of two reasons: close to the financial district and the clarke quay.

This place is strategically placed between the business district and the "play" area so you could access both quickly. This place is also near the transportation infrastructure, so you don't have to walk far to reach the bus stops or MRT stations.

The room itself was clean. The breakfast is so-so but due to its location, you just can go anywhere and try some of the local's breakfast style. I think this hotel is good for those who are spending most of his time outside. Otherwise, it will be so boring inside. However, I think I need to mention that the staffs are friendly and very helpful. So I think you could just get anywhere with their help.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Yanuar A
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Their "Delux Room" is the size of a shoe box. Room = Bed. No wardrobe, to place to move, no place for bags -- disaster. Room walls are very thin. Can hear anything and sleeping is impossible. Had to check out the night I arrived and find a different location. And they had the nerve to still try and charge me. Online it sayd (including Booking) 4 starts -- not even close to 2. Maybe it should be titles as a high end guest house.

Room Tip: Do not choose any room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business