“Great location but tiny tiny rooms!”

Hotel Clover 5 HongKong Street
Ranked #145 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The location of this hotel was excellent, very close to the MRT station and not too far from the airport either. The size of the rooms though are TINY! They do mention their room sizes on the website but you only get an actual idea of how small they are when you see them first hand. Very tight squeeze for 2 people.
The breakfast was fairly poor, very small cafe/restaurant with limited seats for the breakfast. Rooms were spotless and swimming pool more like a pond.
Very expensive for what it is, but if you are after location only, then its great.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kunal G

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I chose this hotel due to its excellent position to the Clarke Quay/Riverfront area and Marina Bay Sands, where I had a few events over 4 days to attend and wanted to be able to walk. For this requirement, the hotel was excellent as I was able to walk easily and fast around the area.

Regarding the room size that many other reviewers have commented on – yes, it is small. However, this is Singapore where most rooms are small…and the square metre size is displayed when you are making a booking so you should know how small it is when you are booking. The rooms are clean as they are relatively new. The layout could have been designed better, but it is ok.

Breakfast is fine, a very simple spread of cereals, scrambled eggs, fruit and breads. Strangely, the only plates available are small side plates. Surely there is enough room to give normal plates.

Unfortunately, apart from the excellent position and clean rooms all other aspects let this hotel down very badly. I would hope that my experience was a one off, and others have a much easier stay.

Firstly, the TV remote control did not work. Not a big deal of course, but the start of things going downhill. Next, I arrive home after an event at midnight to find the air conditioning is not working in my room. I was offered another room but by this stage it was 1am and I was too tired to move all my stuff so I decided to stay in the room and get the maintenance person to fix it the next morning. The next morning as I was leaving for the day I was assured the maintenance person would check it while I was out, and when I returned at the end of the day the receptionist said it was fixed. I arrive to my room, and find the air conditioner still blowing out hot air! Returning to reception I meet the maintenance man in the lift who mumbles he has not fixed it….not a good indication of the communication between the staff in the hotel when the front desk had just assured me it was fixed. After changing rooms it was fine…except for housekeeping forgetting to replace my toilet paper. Unfortunately some of the staff were not too good with dealing with these issues either, as another reviewer experienced – one staff member was extremely patronising and another would not even look me in the eyes. The word ‘sorry’ was not mentioned either.

Unfortunately, I left wishing I had spent the extra $40 a night and stayed with my friends at the new Holiday Inn Express around the corner, which I visited and all of them loved and said the service was impeccable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Melissa K
Reviewed 5 June 2014

If you're severely claustrophibic, or have heaps of luggage, this hotel probably isn't for you.

I was travelling alone with only cabin baggage and in Singapore for only one night, and the Clover was perfect for me. I received a friendly welcome at reception, and was lent $5 because I was short for the cab fare.

Having read a couple of reviews complaining about the size, I expected much worse, but I was impressed with the thought put into the room's layout and fitout. There is a very comfortable double-bed with room underneath to store bags. The room was air conditioned and quiet. I slept like a log.

The room has a television, tea and coffee facilities, small cupboard, toilet and a separate shower. Included in the price were a couple of bottles of water, cans of soft drink and handy things like a toothbrush and shaver.

The breakfast was included, had a limited selection and very crowded seating. I was satisfied with a pastry, fruit, a bowl of cereal, a coffee and an orange juice.

The location is very convenient to Clark Quay MRT station and the riverside bars, restaurants and shopping. I checked out at noon but left my luggage to explore for the rest of the day. Later I walked a few blocks to Raffles Place MRT station where you can catch a train to the airport.

There was construction work nearby, but it only started at 9am and had finished long before I went to bed.

I've given this hotel 5/5, not because it is 5 stars, but based on the value for the price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Pazhood
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Rooms are very small but brand new and very clean. Unfortunately the mattress is too strong for me. Not really convenient for two persons as your suitcases won't fit in room.
Conveniently located near Clarke Quay and China town.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Match box size rooms ....prison cell sized ....very uncomfortable ...no place to keep luggage ...no air con .....unfriendly staff ,in cooperative ....just charge a bomb for no facilities .....it's a joke on the name of a hotel ...kindly guests please avoid this property plenty of options available at this price in singapore ...this hotel is a big no NO
CLAUSTROPHOBIC ...NO VIEW TUCKED AWAY IN A BY LANE
GUESTS NEED TO BE VERY CAREFULL AS STAFF IS VERY RUDE ...FEEL CHEATED ON STAYING HERE .
HORRIBLE ...HORRIBLE ...HORIBBLE
Just DONT GET IN tHE TRAP by pictures , it's really misleading.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kapil520
Sherrine T, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Clover 5 HongKong Street, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Kapil 520

Warmest Greetings from Hotel Clover. We thank you for your valuable feedback and we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We would like to address the issues that you had brough up as follow:

Match box size rooms:
We had stated our rooms' sizes in our website and on online travel portals' websites .The room that you had chosen was the Superior category and the room's size was stated as 15sqm and 1 double bed. The online travel portal website also stated "One child under 11 years stays free of charge when using existing beds. There is no capacity for extra beds in the room."

However, after checking into the room, you informed our Duty Manager that the room was too small. Our Duty Manager offered to upgrade you to the highest category but you declined the offer and decided to stick to the room that you had booked.

The following day we were informed by our front office colleague that you had complained about the room being too small for you and your family. Our front office colleague invited you to view the room at our other property, Hotel Clover The Arts.

After visiting the room at Hotel Clover The Arts, we were informed that you had also declined the offer to stay in Hotel Clover The Arts and chose to shorten your stay with us.

No view and no facilities:
The hotel is located in a neighbourhood that is rich in cultural aspects and as a boutique hotel, the only facilites we have is the roof-terrace swimming pool and a cafe for breakfast.

Staff:
Our staff are trained to provide warm and personal attention to all our guests. We achieve this by going the extra mile to deliver true exclusivity in service to all our guests and here in this case, we offered a free upgrade to the highest category in Hotel Clover 5 Hongkong Street and a transfer to our other hotel, Hotel Clover The Arts which you declined both offers.

We will continue to provide worldclass service to all our guests and pride ourseleves as a boutique brand that understand every aspect of our guests’ needs and pampering them with our genuine hospitality, our amenities, our design and our technology.

Should you have any further suggestions, please do contact us at enquiries@hotelclover.com. We look forward in welcoming you to Hotel Clover in your future stay.

Yours Sincerely
Hotel Clover 5 Hongkong Street

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I agree with previous comments, yes, very small room, breakfast room, swimming/dunk pool, BUT, it is the location that matters, and, after a fair bit of research, there was not a lot going for under AUD$200.
The staff were fantastic, friendly and helpful, and the small rooms spotlessly clean with very good quality linen. I thought the shower in my room to be disproportionately large to the rest of the room.
My sister and her husband also had a room at the hotel, and, with the bed pushed up against the wall, made a very tight squeeze for movement in the room for 2. The shower overlooking the street was also an interesting concept.
But, at least the rooms have windows, unlike many similarly priced hotels in Singapore.
Yes, the breakfast not terribly exciting, but, enough to get you going and explore all those culinary delights that Singapore has so much to offer.
Singapore accommodation is expensive, the staff, cleanliness and location close to transport, diverse sights and meal options make this a great option in my opinion. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Jen B
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Like previous reviews, I agree the size is one of the smallest I've experienced in Singapore. But how much space do you really need? I travel light with a small luggage so I didn't have any issues. I think this place is ideal for solo / business travelers or couples seeking something cozy.

I chose this hotel because it was still new & fresh, the deco was modern & pleasing, and the location is perfect for getting around the city. As someone who has slept in low budget hostels to Marina Bay Sands, I think the price is about right for what you get. Let's face it, Singapore is not the cheapest location to travel.

Don't worry about the ongoing constructions nearby because they adhere to regular working hours, so unless you're a night owl that sleeps in the day, there will be no issues. The pillows were just right, although I thought the mattress / bed frame was a little high and it takes a bit of effort to get on/off the bed.

Some things I didn't like:
1. How the toilet bowl is facing the basin and is literally next to it. I know space is an issue the designers had to work with, but I found it slightly off putting. By right it should be adjacent to, rather than facing each other.
2. The wardrobe / closet is tiny. Even then, the design of the hanging rack is not ergonomic. Maybe they were trying to be artistic (refer picture), but it's actually not user friendly especially when you're reaching for something at the back. Honestly, I would have been fine with a conventional horizontal bar where you can just place all the hangers and grab whatever you needed.
3. Complimentary breakfast is served buffet style, but don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. The selection is very limited, and if you're a picky eater, you might wanna give it a miss and eat out. Tables were also very limited.

Things I enjoyed:
1. Shower has decent water pressure and temperature control. No fluctuations.
2. Rooftop area is nice for a breather and the surrounding views. The "pool" isn't really designed for swimming, more like dipping.
3. Staff were very friendly and smiled whenever you walked through the front door.
4. Towels and toiletries were of decent quality.

Overall I found the stay pleasant, and compared to the stay I had at similar price category Naumi Liora hotel @ Chinatown in 2013, Clover hotel wins.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo