“Singapore Holiday”

Hotel Clover 5 HongKong Street
Ranked #139 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
“Singapore Holiday”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Staff r very accommodating & welcoming. The Rooms were nice & who needs a large room when ur not goin 2 b spendin much time there & only need a shower & a bed 2 sleep. Hotel Clover is right on the door step of Clarke Quay, China town and other tourist destinations r just a short walk away. Highly recommended

Stayed June 2014
5 Thank 2bois

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Pattaya, Thailand
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Although tiny (yes tiny) the room was adequate for our needs. We quickly learned that there was heaps of room under the bed for our suitcases. Comfortable environment - nice shower, tea and coffee. Small but awesome swimming pool, wonderful after a day or night's shopping. Pity it died for a couple of days :( Breakfast was simple and sometimes we had to share a table but the food was slightly different each day with a mix of Asian and traditional English - plenty of it. Check that you have booked for 2 people if using booking.com etc.. we found that we had to pay for an extra person on arrival - our fault. Was still good value for money. Location on Clarke's Quay was awesome - easy to the train service (MRT) lots of food courts and shopping locally too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Russell F
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This is hotel is located in a great location - a two-minute walk from the Clarke Quay MRT station, meaning most attractions are within a short/cheap train ride. The hotel itself is modern and clean, but the rooms are small. This doesn't bother me as I'm here on my own but it may cause problems with more than one suit case. The shower is great - big monsoon shower head. No fridge in room, and you'll need to ask to borrow an iron. Wifi is free and fast. Reception staff are lovely. Just beware the free breakfast - my egg, sausage and noodles were cold. Otherwise great value for what I paid.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank James R
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hotel Clover 5 is located on Hongkong street, a nice stroll away from Clarke Quay/Central shopping centre and MRT station, and in the opposite direction, it's about 10 minutes away from Chinatown, Bugis, and Raffles. Everything you want to see and more is close by at this hotel.

The hotel seems fairly new, and the rooms are very well fitted out. The rooms are spotlessly clean, every day!

Yes, they may be small, I had a room with a double bed (in the premier executive room) that was up against the wall, and you wouldn't be able to put two people in here, unless one person sticks in bed and doesn't get out all night! But for one person, this is spacious and generous!

The shower was new age and lovely! Water was hot and there was plenty of it!

You get two bottles of water and two bottles of soft drink in the room every day, plus tea and coffee. The free breakfast was great, you had toast, a choice of muffins and pastries, fruit, salad and some hot options that are probably more for Asian tastes than Western, but the hash browns and baked beans were great when they had them!

The wifi was fantastic, and free! The tv channels gave enough variety and loved the samsung screens.

There was no noise at all, and the room was dark and silent when needed!

I have nothing critical to say of this hotel, it has everything you need and the staff are all very lovely! Recommend this to anyone who is travelling alone, on business or pleasure. You'd need a bigger room for two though!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Melinda E
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The location of this hotel was excellent, very close to the MRT station and not too far from the airport either. The size of the rooms though are TINY! They do mention their room sizes on the website but you only get an actual idea of how small they are when you see them first hand. Very tight squeeze for 2 people.
The breakfast was fairly poor, very small cafe/restaurant with limited seats for the breakfast. Rooms were spotless and swimming pool more like a pond.
Very expensive for what it is, but if you are after location only, then its great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kunal G
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I chose this hotel due to its excellent position to the Clarke Quay/Riverfront area and Marina Bay Sands, where I had a few events over 4 days to attend and wanted to be able to walk. For this requirement, the hotel was excellent as I was able to walk easily and fast around the area.

Regarding the room size that many other reviewers have commented on – yes, it is small. However, this is Singapore where most rooms are small…and the square metre size is displayed when you are making a booking so you should know how small it is when you are booking. The rooms are clean as they are relatively new. The layout could have been designed better, but it is ok.

Breakfast is fine, a very simple spread of cereals, scrambled eggs, fruit and breads. Strangely, the only plates available are small side plates. Surely there is enough room to give normal plates.

Unfortunately, apart from the excellent position and clean rooms all other aspects let this hotel down very badly. I would hope that my experience was a one off, and others have a much easier stay.

Firstly, the TV remote control did not work. Not a big deal of course, but the start of things going downhill. Next, I arrive home after an event at midnight to find the air conditioning is not working in my room. I was offered another room but by this stage it was 1am and I was too tired to move all my stuff so I decided to stay in the room and get the maintenance person to fix it the next morning. The next morning as I was leaving for the day I was assured the maintenance person would check it while I was out, and when I returned at the end of the day the receptionist said it was fixed. I arrive to my room, and find the air conditioner still blowing out hot air! Returning to reception I meet the maintenance man in the lift who mumbles he has not fixed it….not a good indication of the communication between the staff in the hotel when the front desk had just assured me it was fixed. After changing rooms it was fine…except for housekeeping forgetting to replace my toilet paper. Unfortunately some of the staff were not too good with dealing with these issues either, as another reviewer experienced – one staff member was extremely patronising and another would not even look me in the eyes. The word ‘sorry’ was not mentioned either.

Unfortunately, I left wishing I had spent the extra $40 a night and stayed with my friends at the new Holiday Inn Express around the corner, which I visited and all of them loved and said the service was impeccable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Melissa K

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Reviewed 5 June 2014

If you're severely claustrophibic, or have heaps of luggage, this hotel probably isn't for you.

I was travelling alone with only cabin baggage and in Singapore for only one night, and the Clover was perfect for me. I received a friendly welcome at reception, and was lent $5 because I was short for the cab fare.

Having read a couple of reviews complaining about the size, I expected much worse, but I was impressed with the thought put into the room's layout and fitout. There is a very comfortable double-bed with room underneath to store bags. The room was air conditioned and quiet. I slept like a log.

The room has a television, tea and coffee facilities, small cupboard, toilet and a separate shower. Included in the price were a couple of bottles of water, cans of soft drink and handy things like a toothbrush and shaver.

The breakfast was included, had a limited selection and very crowded seating. I was satisfied with a pastry, fruit, a bowl of cereal, a coffee and an orange juice.

The location is very convenient to Clark Quay MRT station and the riverside bars, restaurants and shopping. I checked out at noon but left my luggage to explore for the rest of the day. Later I walked a few blocks to Raffles Place MRT station where you can catch a train to the airport.

There was construction work nearby, but it only started at 9am and had finished long before I went to bed.

I've given this hotel 5/5, not because it is 5 stars, but based on the value for the price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business