“The best of the best service by Derek”

PS.Cafe at Palais Renaissance
Ranked #913 of 11,201 Restaurants in Singapore
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Orchard Road
Description: A REFUGE FOR SOCIAL GATHERING PS.Cafe opened in 1999 as a cosy cafe hidden within Projectshop clothing store. This charming and understated spot quickly gained a following for its hearty takes on savoury cafe classics, famous truffle shoestring fries and indulgent cakes, puddings and tarts. Thoughtfully detailed interiors, lush surroundings, friendly relaxed service and generous portions have made this homegrown Singapore brand an internationally recognized local favourite. PS.Cafe is the place for legendary brunches and lazy afternoon teas, romantic dates and friendly celebrations in beautiful surroundings.
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We love this place. But it's not so much the place or the food, it's about the great service you get her and I must protest against the two posts I just read that indicate the different view.
It simply cannot be true, we have eaten here for many years and we have been fortunate to have Derek as our servant. He is very friendly, smile a lot, have complete control over it and as I said the reason we come here almost 4-5 days a week. We have never in the many hours seen just one single customer who is not thrilled by his behaviour and attitude; all is served kindly and with a smile. And he looks at you.
So I have to be honest the last two “not so nice” reviews can quite honestly not be right. Even when there are very many people he is present and engaged, a strong and solid service icon for this restaurant, imagine if others were like him.
So see this as a tribute to their ever-present and service-minded servant Derek, definitely the best and worth seeing just for that reason. The food is OK, it 's a lovely place, always-fresh flowers and beautiful displays, but it's the service that matters most here. Absolutely fantastic, I hope the management know how much the customers love him.
Thanks Derek, All the best Henrik.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

we arrived at 10 minutes to 12pm. They told me to wait to be seated. Then a phillipino waiter comes to tell me the only available seating they have is outside in the hot sun but seeing as i was pregnant(heavily) he had the cheek to add that he doubted I would want that table in the hot sun. I said "the cafe is empty surely you are not fully booked at this instant" to which he coyly replied "oh not now but we expect to be between 12.15 to 12.30pm so unless you can finish your meal by then we do not have a seat for you". to which I declined politely at his low class condescending arrogant manner. Since my custom/patronage/money isn't good enough for them I shall take my business elsewhere never to return. I am pretty sure they will go bankrupt if they think they can be selective and exclusive in Singapore- wake up! you are only p.s. cafe not fortnum and masons and even they don't have walk -in customer discrimination!

1  Thank Jillian C
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and daughters enjoyed brunch at PS Cafe in Palai Renaissance. The soup-of-the-day, Pumpkin soup, was rich and creamy. My Caesar salad with prawn was both generous and delicious. My wife introduced us to their house specialty, truffle french fires...yum. My daughter's croque monsieur was fresh, melted inside and crispy outside (how do they do that??). The two desserts we ordered, flour-less orange cake and sweet and sour lemon pie were incredible. Good service and a high-ceiling's urban atmosphere with nice, low music in the background made this a relaxing and enjoyable outing.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My latest visit to PS Cafe was disappointing and it ended our 2013 on a bad note. Bad service or should I say, no service and service with discrimination that is really seriously unpleasant!!

My friend arrived first at around 5pm in the evening only to be told that dinner reservations are full and we can only stay till 6.45pm. It is bizarre since we had wanted to make reservations beforehand but was told reservations are not allowed for small groups so we had to walk in. Anyway, since another friend had wanted to try the food at PS Cafe, we just stick to our plans and went in. After I reached, both of us wanted to order something first while waiting for the other friend to come. We were given the Tea Menu as according to them it wasnt dinner time yet. We repeatedly asked for the Dinner Menu after looking through the Tea Menu for quite a long time as there was nothing we wanted to order from the Tea Menu. Because we were there for dinner not tea, but they refused to give us the dinner menu. They want us to leave by 6.45pm yet didnt want to give us the dinner menu, so what's that crap? I understand it is not dinner time yet, but the kitchen is there, the chef is there, would it kill to give us the dinner menu before dinner time! And we had to leave by 645pm, if you dont want to give us the menu first, how are we supposed to finish our meal within such a short period of time. Mind you, we are paying customers in a restaurant, why do we need to rush and gobble our meal down just because it isnt your so-called dinner time yet!!!

So we had no choice but to order something from the Tea Menu first as we were hungry. Ordered the Truffle Shoestring Fries and the waitress gave us a irritated look and reminded us haughtily of the minimum spending policy that each customer MUST order an item from the menu. We told her we are waiting for a friend and we have yet to decide on what to eat on the limited Tea Menu, so cant we just order one item first while waiting! Maybe we were not as well dressed (we were in casual tee and jeans) as the obviously rich looking guests at the other tables donning their best suits and frocks, so such discrimination from them. The attitude really made us pissed off and uncomfortable.

When our friend finally arrived, she asked why we wasnt given the dinner menu. Suddenly a male waiter appeared (he never served us when two of us were sitting there for the past 40 minutes). Maybe our friend presented herself better than us or maybe she look richer than us, so he suddenly sprang to life and gave enthusiastic recommendations AND GAVE US THE DINNER MENU, and lo and behold, we were told we didnt have to leave at 6.45pm anymore when I asked as a matter of factly: "So now then u give us the dinner menu, but how can we finish our meal in only 40 minutes since we have to leave by 6.45pm?" He zoomed off to ask his manager and came back happily telling us "Yeah, u guys can stay for dinner, dont need to leave by 6.45pm anymore!" So what's with the full house for dinner time and tea time no dinner menu issue!!! And throughout the night when we looked around, there were a number of empty tables and not a full house like we were first told.

That was not the end. We were asked by another waiter to move tables when we finished our food and was chatting over drinks. He asked if he could move us to another table as there are new customers who have arrived and are waiting for a table. I totally do not understand the logic. The restaurant is not full and there are still empty tables around. Isn't it more logical for the waiter to give the new customers any empty table instead of moving us to another table and giving them our table?? If this was a tactic to make us leave (because I cannot find any reason why they have to move us to accomodate new customers when there are still many empty tables), then the waiter have succeeded. Nobody likes to be moved around when we are already seated and settled down, and all the more for a ridiculous reason! So we asked for the bill and left!

Food was very good, I must say, we enjoyed the two main dishes and the two delish cakes. We had the Truffle Shoestring Fries (from the Tea Menu), King Prawn Aglio Olio, the Catch of the Day (salmon with creamy mushroom sphagetti), Double Chocolate Blackout Cake, Dark Choc Banana Cheesecake and two drinks. Three of us spent a total of close to $160.

I have no qualms about their standard of food, BUT good food is not everything, with such discriminatory service and attitude, there is no way I will be back again. We did not pay such money to be insulted and look down upon and treated like idiots when we repeatedly asked for the Dinner Menu but was refused with no valid reason. Furthermore, the food there although good, are seriously expensive and overpriced! For that kind of price, I could easily find other places with equally good food and better service.

4  Thank cookie25
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Arriving at the Palais Renaissance building's rear entrance by taxi, I was not immediately reminded though soon realised that I had been to this very same PS Cafe some years ago. And indeed it was to meet with the same childhood friend, one of who's favourite venues I recall it probably is.

We lunched at one of the alfresco tables which this PS Cafe has on the 1st floor, a sort of extended wide open terrace which used to be idyllically surrounded by the unique jungle greenery rarely found in as central a venue as this, just immediately off the Orchard Road. It is now much less forested, as the Thai Embassy next door who's garden it was that provided such an environment has cleared it somewhat for its extension, though not making it any less pleasant as there is now space as it were instead of deep greenery.

We had light lunch fare starting with a seafood broth followed with cod for main course. We also stayed late into the lunch hour, engrossed in conversation catching up with both old and recent times but were overall well taken care of by the staff who did not rush us.

Exiting from the restaurant, the mature decor of cafe cum Asian airiness works well and one feels somehow fulfilled in more ways than one in having had a sanctuarial break from the bustle of Singapore's Orchard Road.

1  Thank WinsN