All reviews little india common room budget hotel quad room dhoby ghaut roof terrace dorm room watch tv no window your luggage tea coffee lounge area air con late flight mrt station enjoyed my stay visiting singapore
Reviewed 5 January 2010

I stayed in a twin room for 3 nights with my Mum, then I had an extra night in the shared dorms before heading off to Borneo. We were on a pretty tight budget so were looking a hostel/backpacker type accommodation.

Although this was at the upper end of our price range, I'm so glad we ended up here. The place was superb, and the best accommodation I experienced in my 5 week holiday. Everything was really clean and stylish, and the free extras like internet lounge, excellent breakfasts and coffee & tea were lovely.

The location was excellent, on a quiet side street near a lovely park, but was only 10mins walk from Little India and Doby Ghaut Metro stations, which made it really cheap and easy to get around.

The rooms felt like a 3-star hotel rather than a hostel, it really had the style and comfort of a hotel stripped of all the extras. The dorm rooms were great, with lockers, comfy beds and a lot more space than a lot of others I've stayed in - and no bunks.

The counter staff were really friendly and helpful, and I'm planning on staying here again for my next trip to Singapore.

The only downside was that the restaurant downstairs was fairly upmarket, and definitely not within the backpacker budget. But given the vicinity to Little India, and all the fabulous hawker centres, this wasn't really a problem.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 27 December 2009

I wouldn't bother to write any review if the hotel is decent. But this really worth for me to spend my time writing this review. Let's start with the location. It is quite near to MRT station (Little India, Exit A, Bukit Timah Road.) This hotel is actually located quite "deep" in hill, if you are going to ask people around, they probably won't know anything about this hotel. Let's me put some guidance in this review as well. After coming out from Exit A from MRT station, you will realize there are a open air car park lots, go through it and you will see shops in front and you will realize one Indian cinema on the left hand side. Cross the road and walk straight a little and you will see a right junction, turn to that junction and you will see Mount Emily Rd. it's uphill road, go straight and you will see Emily Park (serviced apartment) on your left, if you see this you are on the right way to Hangout @ Mt. Emily. Walk straight until the end and you will see a small signboard showing you yo climb up the stair (on your left hand side) to the hotel. It's a quite tiring walk for weakling like me. One more thing, it's quite dimmed and quiet at night, I do not recommend girls walking alone there.

Surrounded by large trees and grass field, a perfect park for morning jog. Checked in into the dorm (shared room unisex), looks perfectly clean and well organize. If I recalled correctly, there are seven beds. Bed is big enough for Asians like me, clean and comfortable. From what I see, even it's good enough for European and American, because I have few European staying with me that night, I see them sleeping sweet and sound in the early morning. Every bed is attached with a small drawer and a place to hang clothes.

The bath/washroom (male) is extremely clean! I am very pleased with the cleanliness of the W.C, there are three separate bathroom, hot water is adequate, and bear in mind you need turn on the heater for 15 minutes before entering the bathroom. Everything seems so nice to be true for a small hostel.

The facility was good too (albeit their outdated PC), there's a pool table and vending machine for junk food and beverage. Small library and lounge for you to relax and chit chat. Just their PC is way out of date and using IE5 would be sucks! My recommendation for Hangout is that they should put it to Linux Ubuntu and at least a Firefox web browser. I like to hangout there whenever I'm at hotel. Not to forget there are also free coffee and tea 24/7.

The level 7, the top floor is decorated as mini garden with greenery and some tables. A place where a very good scenery can be seen! Get your DSLR and tripod, it's worth to spend few hours there just to take photos. Other reviewers said sunset can be seen but I didn't manage to go up during the sunset.

Free breakfast was decent. Though very less variety is given. The staff was very helpful too. And yes, they do keep your belonging for the last day you staying with no fee at all. You can walk and spend the last day without having trouble to carrying your belonging here and there. Definitely an added point for them.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Allanoid
Reviewed 19 December 2009

We stayed at the Hangout while in Singapore and we found it hard to fault. The room was spotless, and accommodated our family, 2 adults and 2 children aged 8 and 10 with ease. The included breakfast was excellent and the location of the hotel is without fault, a short walk to Orchard Road and also to nearby train stations. There is a beautiful park across the road and it is very peaceful there. Good eating in the food malls nearby ensured everyone was happy during our stay at the Hangout. There was a coin operated self service laundry which was handy for 4 people's dirty laundry.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank timandamywedding
Reviewed 1 December 2009

I travelled here in July for a week with a Jazz Orchestra from CBC Fremantle. Highly recommend it to anybody travelling from couples to families and groups. The roof top "chill out" zone, while not having a pool, was great to cool down in between gigs with the band and lovely views at night. The "veg out" room with the pool table, computers and vending machines got a good work out from the boys. Being able to do your own laundry with token operated machines was very convenient. A short stroll down the hill to Dhoby Ghout station and not much further to everything else. The staff are very friendly and helpful and breakfast was nice. Excellent all round accommodation for the price.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 25 November 2009

We, with our 5 y/o and 1 y/o, stayed at Hangout @ Mt Emily in October for about two weeks in total.
Here’s our opinion about this accommodation;

Good things:

- Low prices!
Singapore is quite an expensive country and as we were staying there for quite a long time, we needed a budget accommodation to cut costs. We wanted a decent accommodation for 2 adults and 2 children for less than USD100 per night, but as we surfed the web quite extensively, found out it was almost impossible to find such accommodation. Sometimes you come across cheap hotels but such places almost certainly come with horrible reviews! Hangout was one of the very few exceptions in which low prices come with good reviews. Two adults and two children can stay comfortably in one room, for less than USD100 per night, and that’s including breakfast! This is really a splendid value.

- Cleanliness
As we were traveling with young children, we needed a clean place to stay. At Hangout, rooms and public spaces were clean, including sheets and towels.

- Helpful staff and housekeepers
When the washbasin was stopped up, we informed the reception and it was taken care of immediately. Great!

- Breakfast is free
It is quite basic and consists of mostly precooked instant foods, but at least you can eat as much as you like and it is more than adequate for a budget hotel like this.

- Free coffee and tea
- Free Internet
- Centrally located
- Very secure, access to floors only by keycards.
- Good, quiet air-conditioning, individually adjustable.
- Good, quiet neighbourhood
- Beautiful rooftop terrace with nice view

Not so good things:

- No fridge or TV in the room.
- No proper ventilation in bathroom and it gets very humid.
- Room windows could be dangerous to small children, as they cannot be locked.
- Located upon a hill. You have to use stairs to walk up to the hotel. It was quite inconvenient for us because our one y/o son needs to travel on a stroller. So we almost always used taxis to go back to the hotel.
- Big construction site next door. Of course this is not their fault, but the site makes certain noises from 8 am until about 9 pm, including weekends.
- No shops nearby. The nearest shops and eateries are about 4 - 5 minutes’ walk down the hill.

Some useful tips:
- Most taxi drivers don’t know Hangout Hotel, but they do know ‘Sophia road’, so tell them to go up Sophia road then continue to Upper Wilkie road to reach the hotel.
- To avoid taxi booking charges, just go down Sophia road to Peace Centre and flag down a taxi around there. There is also a taxi stand on the main street.

Overall, we recommend this hotel to budget travellers, and also to families with children.
We stayed in a triple plus room, with three single beds and one sofa bed, and the beds were very comfortable, even the sofa bed was big enough for adult.
Family rooms are quite expensive in other hotels, and nowhere in Singapore you can have a room with four beds for around 100 US dollars, except at Hangout.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family