“Room is uniquely interesting, but...”
Review of New Majestic Hotel

New Majestic Hotel
Ranked #102 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I arranged for an overnight stay-cation at the Sakura attic room for my wife to celebrate Mother's Day. All of us, including my 2 kids, were excited and looking forward to the stay. Reservation of the room was relatively easy and fast through the hotel number, thanks Jarrod for the good work and helpful recommendations!

The front desk is right at the entrance, inconspicuous though, especially if one is easily distracted by the huge collection of interesting vintage decorative items scattered all over the ground floor of the hotel, like huge brass spotlights, a colorful trishaw, old barber chairs. Check-in was quick, front desk staff was polite.

My excitement was however doused immediately when I entered the Sakura attic room. The room reeked of cigarette stench! I was appalled as all the rooms are supposedly non-smoking rooms. After informing the front desk of this, the staff apologized and arranged for housekeeping to bring in an ionizer to remove the smell. I was expecting a room change or a token of apology (e.g. offer for late check-out?). A premium attic room smelling like an ashtray would definitely justify some kind of polite compensation?

Anyway, first impression of the room... Room was smaller than expected, less spacious than what appeared in the hotel website photos. Interesting design concept, one's attention would definitely be drawn to the two bathtubs in the center of the room, the sakura wall art forming the backdrop, an ancient red barber chair beside the writing desk, and the steep ladder leading to the bed in the loft.

The room was definitely designed for couples or singles. There is not much privacy between family members or friends as the bathroom and toilet doors cannot be locked and are not totally frosted, only the middle part of the doors is frosted. Few possible hazards I identified: 1) one should be careful of the concrete threshold surrounding the bathtubs, a possible trip hazard especially at night; 2) the cast-iron leg rest of the barber chair will bruise you bad if you accidentally bump your shin against it; 3) steep ladder, hold on tight!; 4) if you sleepwalk or roll around in bed when you sleep, you won't want this room, falling from the loft is not a joke.

If you stay in this room with your significant other half, you'll enjoy the bathtubs. Immersing yourselves in these marvellous antiques while watching tv or simply enjoying each other's company would be heavenly. The capsule-only coffee machine is a joy, though identifying the on/off switch would take some time, as the instructions indicated a wrong switch location. The shower in the bathroom is an absolute blessing, it offers not only a hand-held shower spray, but also body sprays and rain shower. The Kiehl toiletries are a pleasure to use, they smell really good, and the fact that they are Kiehl's makes you feel pampered of course.

The swimming pool on the second floor, although small, suffices for a few laps of leisure swim. You will have to turn on the jacuzzi in the pool yourself, with the switch located under the shrubs by the pool, the jacuzzi lasts about 5 minutes before you need to switch it on again. The interesting feature is the three glass circles at the bottom of the pool, which will allow you to peep at those having meals at the Majestic restaurant downstairs (they can see you too, so don't make funny faces or go skinny dipping!), but you'll have to wait till the restaurant switches on its lights. If you swim in the day and the restaurant is closed or dark, the glass circles act as a one-way mirror and you'll only see your own reflection. There're no pool towels available, so if you forget to bring along a towel or robe from your room, not only will you leave an embarrassing wet trail from the pool to your room, you'll also have to endure the freezing air-conditioning which will probably paralyze you before you reach your room!!

Now for the food. Don't bother with the breakfast provided in the Majestic restaurant, you would be better off walking to nearby local coffee-shops to enjoy delicious local breakfasts. Dinner at the Majestic restaurant is fit for the king though. But do make a reservation, or you may end up waiting long for a table, especially during weekends. The prices of the food may be a little high, as compared to the same food served in some of the nearby local coffee-shops at night. So try to be more adventurous and venture out to try cheaper and authentic local food.

Room Tip: If you travel with kids or not-so-close friends, don't get the attic rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank dracwy
UnlistedCollection, Sales Executive at New Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear dracwy,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay with us and sharing some photos.

Jarrod is pleased to know that he was able to assist you with your reservations and our team of front desk staff is happy to know that you were able to check in promptly and found them polite.

Housed in a traditional conservation shop houses located in the heart of China Town – the New Majestic Hotel features an emphasis on the strong design- local cultures and Arts which can be observed from the hotel lobby and the rooms. Having said that, we are disappointed to hear that the Sakura room was not up to your expectations. Each 30 rooms are uniquely designed by local artists and we do recognise that guests will have their own take of the rooms.

We sincerely apologise for the less than stellar first encounter with your room. We are taking steps to ensure that such occurrences will not happen in the future, and hope that you would allow us the opportunity to welcome you back and impress you with our commitment to improve.

Please be assured that we review all feedback with our team to improve our performance. In the meantime, I certainly hope to hear from you and to welcome you back for a renewed experience.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for New Majestic Hotel

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed at the New Majestic in March of 2014 for a weekend on the way back home to the US. The New Majestic is a quaint, uniquely styled little place to stay right in the middle of China Town, which is a definite must-see. The rooms here are small, as most of the reviews for this hotel note, but this is SE Asia, all of the rooms we stayed in during our travels were small. Plus, it's not like you are in the room much anyway. The location is great. Right near several of the MRT stops. And reasonably walkable to Clark's Quay, the Merlion and Singapore River. Hospitality here was great. The front desk assisted us with advice on sight seeing, navigating the city and booking our taxi to the airport in the middle of the night. Our rate came with breakfast included, which I did appreciate. The breakfast service is generous and consists of a breakfast set of your choice, plus a few buffet items.

Room Tip: We had the goldfish room. Small but cute. 2nd floor near the pool. Ask for that one!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi ITRVL4FUN,

Greetings from New Majestic Hotel!

Thank you for taking time to share this review of your stay with us. Our team of staff is very delighted to hear of this compliment of them.

Being in a conservation building, we recognize that some of our rooms may be more compact than others. With all our rooms individually designed, perhaps we could have you try another room for your next stay, and you may find it better suited to your liking!

Literally a stone's throw away from the train station, travelers enjoy an easy access to Singapore's local attractions.

We hope to welcome you again soon!

Till then, keep well and safe travels!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I arranged a 4 day stay in Singapore for my husband’s 30th Birthday. We stayed at the sister hotel Wanderlust on our previous visit and were keen to check out their other offering in Chinatown. I booked directly and indicated it was a trip for a celebration. I received an email from Shawn the guest ambassador almost immediately. From this moment on he took care of everything we needed to make our stay truly special. He arranged for balloons, a personalised birthday cake and champagne to be in our room on my husband’s birthday – and also a cake to be given to him at breakfast. Shawn also arranged a cooking class for us during our stay, which was great fun and I highly recommend! He met us when we arrived and we were delighted to be upgraded to the most magnificent Attic Suite and given a talk about what we could get up to in Singapore.

To demonstrate how far Shawn went to making his guests stay as perfect as possible – I left my umbrella at the cooking class, way over on the other-side of town. He somehow managed to retrieve it for me and had it waiting in reception the next day – attached to our luggage as we were due to depart. I mean that is service!

The Attic Suite was very special – two bath tubs in the middle of the room and sleeping in a birds nest on a mezzanine above, it was certainly different! The highlight for my husband was the addition of a dentist’s chair in the room, it was so much fun. Highlight for me was the shower – worthy of the best shower I’ve ever had. If only there was more hot water available, you’d have struggled to get me out of it!

For us, the one negative was the breakfast. But then you wouldn’t go to a Chinese restaurant for a continental or cooked breakfast in the real world – so I guess you can’t expect the best. For us Wanderlust was a delicious breakfast with different offerings (rather than eggs cooked different ways) and far superior. But I won’t let this take away from our wonderful stay, as we had some cereal and pastries and that was good enough to see us on our way.

Seriously, book this place and get in touch with Shawn, you won’t regret it!

1  Thank nicolac34
UnlistedCollection, Sales Executive at New Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Hi nicolac34,

Greetings from New Majestic Hotel!

Thank you so much for taking time to write this glowing review of your stay and for choosing us as the venue to celebrate your husband's 30th birthday. We are ecstatic to know that you had an amazing time with us. Every day we strive to deliver an impeccable service to our guests and your comment certainly gave us a sense of accomplishment.

Shawn enjoys making every guest's stay memorable and is glad he has achieved that.

Thank you for your kind comments as well about our Attic Suite rooms. All 3 of our suite rooms are loft concept which makes for a fun and playful stay with a living room and bathtub below your bed.

We have taken note of your comments with regards to the breakfast, perhaps in your next visit, you can check out the brunch cafes peppered along the neighbourhood! It'll double up as nice morning walk along the quaint historical Singapore.

We certainly cannot wait to welcome you back again!

Till then, safe travels.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

For the third staycation, the fiancé and I were looking for something different, so we specifically searched for boutique hotels that had interesting designs. We chose the New Majestic Hotel as it had an affordable rate for their uniquely designed rooms. We reserved the Junior Lifestyle and was assigned room #209 named, "Landscape of Singapore".

Their check-in time was later than most other hotels at 3pm, but we were able to get a slightly early check-in at 2pm. As we had not had lunch, we went to a nearby diner and bar just down the street called Roosevelt. There were plenty of other eateries in the area for guests of the New Majestic Hotel as well as the nearby Dorsett Residences.

When we first entered our room, we were in awe! The layout was simple as the room was not large. The décor was beautifully designed and very special. The bed hung suspended from the ceiling and there was a small private patio to complete the experience. Unfortunately, because of the rain, we were not able to enjoy that part of the room. Smoking was permitted (upon request) and room service was very quick when we asked for an ashtray.

The rainshower was heavenly! The bathroom was awesome, there was no bath tub, but they had that amazing rainshower as well as a shower head for the back which provided a great massage effect for people with aching and tired shoulders.

The hotel went above and beyond on room amenities. As advertised on their site, they had Kiehl’s toiletries (omg, this is awesome-ness), a Nespresso coffee maker which pleased my fiancé to no end. Don't get me started on the bed - you don't know comfort til you've slept on one of these beds (made me wish they allowed a late check out!). What got me crazy excited were their bath robes. If I could have shoved one of them in my bag and walked out, I would have, haha!

The few things that they lacked in but did not affect our enjoyment was the lack of in-room dining service, which would have just completed the experience. The TV could have used more channels as they had a limited selection, this could be due to them having a Samsung Smart TV in every room, but it was honestly very difficult "pushing" videos and music to the TV, kept "loading".

I'll definitely return! But the next time would be to try their Lifestyle Rooms - there's one called the Mirror Room! Self-explanatory, I'm sure..!

Room Tip: Consider what you want out of the experience and request accordingly. They have rooms to suit every...
1  Thank RaeLeeWP
UnlistedCollection, Sales Executive at New Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Hi RaelLeeWP,

Greetings from New Majestic Hotel!

Thank you for choosing us for your staycation and taking time to write such comprehensive review of your stay for all of us here on TripAdvisor. We are extremely delighted to know that you enjoyed the amenities carefully chosen to pamper each guests.

We look forward to welcoming you again in your next staycation, perhaps you can also swing by our sister property Wanderlust Hotel. Designed for those who have appreciate unconventionality, we reckon you might like it too.

Have a lovely day!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I used this hotel for my business trip in Singapore last September. It were nice place and reasonable price, friendly staff, good food, comfortable room. I really loved it & will recommend to my friend if having trip to this nice country.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Alice G

Hi Alice G,

Thank you for staying with us and your recommendation of our hotel. We strive to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable stay in New Majestic Hotel, and we are truly pleased to hear that your stay was no exception.

The team look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Had a great five night stay here with my wife in one of the Aqua rooms.

First impressions upon entering the room are outstanding - a beautiful space, far larger than we'd expected, with carefully designed lighting and a glassed in bathroom making a dramatic centrepiece to the room.

Some nice touches included free soft drinks (coke and small juices as well as the more usual water bottles) and coffee pods, Kiehl's bathroom products, and the most beautifully comfortable bathrobes I've ever worn. After spending the previous fortnight in budget accommodation in Hanoi, this room felt luxurious and decadent. The decor in each room is different, but ours (206) was modern and warm with a couple of 'sexy' silhouettes on the wall that may or may not be to your taste. Throughout our stay the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

The location is excellent. Barely a two minute walk to Outram MRT station, and only a few minutes more to Chinatown MRT. An easy walk to a couple of great chinatown hawker markets and shops. Train fare to to Changi airport cost us $1.78 each using the EZ Link card and too about 45 minutes.

Daily breakfast included in the rate and was pretty good, with the usual cereal/juice/pastry options, eggs (cooked to order) plus a small dumpling/steam bun selection.

A couple of small nitpicky things. The bathtub in the centre of the room looks great, but it's actually really quite awkward to climb out of because of the width of the frame around the tub and its height above the floor. My wife slipped and managed to earn a brilliant dark bruise as a result! Some baffling light switch arrangements, including dimmers that don't appear to do anything much. The toilet is separated from the room by a frosted glass wall which provides a sort of partial privacy - this is not a room for couples who are shy about bathroom stuff!

I have read other reviews commenting on noise, and in fact the room had a little note about noise and complimentary ear plugs (!) but we weren't troubled by noise at all. The odd passing car or pedestrian in the night could be heard, but nothing that disturbed our sleep.

Overall, highly recommended, A beautiful and surprisingly large room in a fantastic location, with some designer and boutique touches that added a real sense of luxury. We felt very spoiled during our stay here. Hard to comment on value since we paid a large portion of our rate with frequent flyer points so not sure what it would have cost at full fare.

1  Thank Gilfer75

Hi Gilfer75,

Greetings from sunny Singapore!

Thank you so much for taking time to share a review of your stay with us. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your overall experience.

Designed by local artist, Miguel Chew, the Aqua Rooms highlight the play of transparency and light. Besides giving our guests a visual treat with our unconventional rooms, our amenities are carefully chosen to pamper each guests.

Tucked away along the quaint and charming fringe of Chinatown, guests can easily access all corners of Singapore with the train station a stone's throw away.

Having said that, we are sorry to hear about your wife's accident in the bathtub. We take our guests' safety seriously and are taking steps to ensure that such occurrences would not happen in the future.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments. Should your travel plans take you to Singapore again in future, we hope to welcome you again to try the other rooms.

Till then, safe travels.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I travel a lot for work and stay in a lot of those generic - i could be any where in the world sorts of hotels. While they may be comfortable they all tend to be personality-less, get em in and get em out sorts of places. The New Majestic is certainly not one of those places.

This place is a fun, quirky, one of a kind sort of place. From the landscaped street verge, the fun reception space with its collection of designer chairs and boutique shop display, the sweeping stair case leading to the pool, the lovely refreshing pool itself, the individually designed rooms - each with a different theme, the outdoor bathtub in the premier garden rooms, this place is one of a kind.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peter M

Hi Peter M,

Thank you for sharing this review for all of us here on TripAdvisor.

Making your stay memorable is our utmost priority and we are delighted to have fulfilled that. Housed in a traditional conservation shop house located in the heart of China Town – the New Majestic Hotel features an emphasis on the strong design- local cultures and Arts. We are glad you enjoyed the pool and your premier garden garden room!

We are very excited to share the news of our Australian property slated to be opened early next year! Do look out for it if you happen to swing by in Sydney.

Looking forward to welcoming you in our Unlisted Collection properties again soon!

Till then, safe travels!