“Good value hotel, but be prepared for the neighborhood!”

Fragrance Hotel - Ruby
Ranked #122 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We went to this hotel twice while passing through Singapore on the way to London. We would definitely consider staying here again. Some great and not so great points about it, but I think if you're aware then you will be OK with them.

Good points!
* Great location, only 10 minute walk from the Aljuneid MRT station, and not very far from the airport by the train.
* Very affordable rooms. Basic, and small but as we were only passing through, this was perfect for us.
* The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, it's open 24 hours.

Not so great points!
* Be aware, this is not the shiny part of Singapore that we all know and love. There are thousands of people on the streets of this 'hood 24 hours a day. There are lots of working ladies nearby, and there are lots of street stalls selling smelly things like durians and mystery meat! If you're aware of this, you'll be fine. Just be prepared to walk out of the train station and have to handle the crowds before getting to the hotel. The hotel itself though is very quiet and clean. It also appears to be one of the more modern buildings in the area!
* This is a budget hotel, so we had to ask for things like towels (i think the cleaning ladies just forgot them, its not like they aren't included). The reception team were absolutely great though and were able to give us anything we missed out on.

I would highly recommend them, especially if you don't want to spend a fortune, need somewhere easy to get to, and if you want to see a side of Singapore most people don't ;).

Have fun! And thank you Fragrance Ruby hotel for your hospitality.

Room Tip: We tried both rooms, the executive room and the basic room. They were exactly the same! The only di...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lyriko

Reviewed 16 January 2014

The first room we were given still had dirty sheets on the bed. The hotel seems to be used by prostitutes as a couple got in the lift and he asked her if she did something I won't repeat and she agreed. They did not seem to know each other and did not even appear to speak the same language. This, I suppose is not surprising as the hotel is in the middle of the red light district apparently - just don't take the kids there. I was so happy I had brought my sleeping sheet with me because even though the sheets appeared clean in the second room they gave us, I had my doubts.
I am so surprised at the good reviews on Tripadvisor, we booked this hotel because of those reviews. When I complained to another hotel owner, he said that some hotels pay people to write good reviews so I will be more careful next time.

Room Tip: Check your sheets before you get into bed! Better still, stay away from this hotel altogether!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lee C
Reviewed 14 January 2014

LOCATION:I knew when I booked this hotel that the location would be in Geylang, the red light district. Well, the location is much better than in Manila. There are local dimsum places, Indian restaurants serving curries and rotis, It's a 10 minute walk to Al Juneid MRT and 4 blocks away is a local supermarket. Everything here is convenient. Just don't mind the callgirls on the main road.

HOTEL: It's clean, practical and has fast wifi. Service is great and efficient. No problems here.

ROOMS: Quite small just like an anteroom, but hey, I saw a similar room at BenCoolen St. and it was the same size except it has a balcony and the price is three x as expensive. For the going rate of hotels here in SG, this hotel ticks all the boxes- comfortable bed, chilling AC, clean bathroom, coffeemaker, etc. More for solo guests!

Price range: Competitive.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank julsitos
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My only concern is that the rooms are so small. It would be very hard for a couple to walk around the room comfortably. The staff are friendly and efficient, quick check in. The room was very clean. The location is fantastic. So close many restaurants and hawker stands. The MRT station is in easy walking distance. Overall I had a great experience staying here.
So what if this area is the red light area of Singapore. They don't worry me and I don't worry them.
If you are travelling solo, this is a great budget option.
You can even check out and they will store your bags, free.

Room Tip: Try and get a room higher up to avoid the road and restaurant noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The good: it's cheap! A browse through Singapore's hotel real-estate will reveal that hotels are expensive in this town. Getting around with ease is important and the Ruby is 10 minutes walk to Aljuniet MRT station. From there you can connect easily to anywhere in Singapore. Geylang has some great eating places - if you like to rub shoulders with the locals. Tables spill out onto the pavement. My favorite dishes are the dim-sum, roti prata and prawns. Prices are good because tourists don't come to this area. If you are adventurous try the eminent frogs leg porridge. I am not quite at that level. Yet. The rooms in the hotel are clean and there is a kettle, tea and coffee.

The bad: the hotel is normally full every night so there is no chance of an early check-in. That sucks if you arrive on an early morning flight and have to wait until 15:00 for a shower. The rooms are also small. With you and your baggage inside there is not enough room to swing a cat. But then, traveling with cats went out of fashion in the 80's so who cares. Geylang is not the newest suburb in Singapore. It's old and down to earth. It bubbles with character so don't come with high expectations.

The sleazy: yep - the hotel is slap bang in the middle of Singapore's red light district. You didn't expect good prices in a great area of town did you? Girls are on the street corner all hours of the day (and night) and you can pick up blue pills and performance enhancers from the local hawkers. Serious. Don't let the hookers bother you. Ignore them and they will ignore you.

So here's the bottom line - When I travel I like to hang out where the locals hang out, eat where they eat and buy noodles from their local corner shop. You don't get that experience at Raffles. That's why I choose the Ruby when passing through Singapore.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Peter P
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This was easily the smallest hotel I've ever stayed in. No room to walk on the sides of the bed, we were forced to climb in through the end. The shower, toilet, and sink were smaller than most laundry rooms. However, it was relatively clean and decent.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Polite and friendly staff. I was upgraded upon arrival which was a welcome surprise. Clean and comfortable room with a decent bathroom and facilities. The only thing that would deter me from staying again is that the wi-fi is not free (in fact it's quite expensive), unlike other hotels in the area that I've stayed at. But overall it's excellent value for a short stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple