“Good for your wallet but nothing impressive”

Fragrance Hotel - Ruby
Ranked #121 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel had a nice housekeeping staff but the reception staff was not nearly as kind. They were efficient but not once during our check-in did we receive a smile.
The room was small but our family knew and expected this. We had lots of big luggage but they were easily tucked away under the tables. The walls look like they were in the middle of painting in the hall and also in our room. The beds were clean and bathroom was also tight spaced.
There were lots of tiny little bugs in our bathroom ceiling but they were not a big bother as we have been traveling around Asia and are used to the bugs. This was room 509 (if the staff want to take a look at this).
The biggest let down was the lack of WiFi in the room. We knew there wouldn't be any but were not expecting to pay $10 for 24 hours for only ONE device. The lobby provides free WiFi but this also leads to the problem of the overcrowded lobby. I am sitting in the lobby as we speak and wouldn't mind sitting in here as much if there were comfortable couches available and less people. Of course the internet issue wouldn't be much of an issue if you will not be spending much time in your hotel room. I was stuck in the room since I got sick for a few days and only had 10 channels on the TV to browse.
This hotel has everything you need for a short stay but its nothing super impressive. Don't mind the hookers on the street and they won't mind you. Honestly, we didn't feel unsafe in this area and the closeness to the MRT was very useful.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Fragrance Hotel - Ruby

Reviewed 20 January 2014

So I've used tripadvisor for a long time and finally after taking a plunge and staying in a budget hotel this experience has urged me to leave my first review for tripadvisor.

So I booked through a travel agent for around £45 a night and found myself staying in one if the premier rooms on the top floor of this hotel.

The room is small but as a solo traveller this is no issue for me, what is important is the entertainment I can find in the room. Which with he smart tv facility in this hotel I really can't knock, access to YouTube Twitter Facebook and the internet via a wireless keyboard and mouse on the tv which us all provided, must be said that this is an excellent asset as I find myself finding movies and music videos on YouTube all controlled from my bed, EXCELLENT.

Location - yes it's in the middle of the red light district, but do people bother you? Well as a guy on my own no one says a thing unless you catch a second of eye contact and even when they ask as soon as you say no they are sure to leave you alone.

Why am I not rating this hotel 5 stars? Only have a couple of reasons not to rate this hotel 5 stars and they are
- no free in room wifi , however with the smart tv I don't need it but in a room without that this could be an issue
- lack of hand soap in the bathroom, there was no hand soap in the bathroom which was slightly frustrating as u find myself using the shower gel dispenser from in the shower.

Am I saying this hotel is perfect apart from that ? No, but I think you have to take into account price/ quality ratio and that's what my rating is on.

Overall would definitely stay again as my stay has been pleasant.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Joe T
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We went to this hotel twice while passing through Singapore on the way to London. We would definitely consider staying here again. Some great and not so great points about it, but I think if you're aware then you will be OK with them.

Good points!
* Great location, only 10 minute walk from the Aljuneid MRT station, and not very far from the airport by the train.
* Very affordable rooms. Basic, and small but as we were only passing through, this was perfect for us.
* The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, it's open 24 hours.

Not so great points!
* Be aware, this is not the shiny part of Singapore that we all know and love. There are thousands of people on the streets of this 'hood 24 hours a day. There are lots of working ladies nearby, and there are lots of street stalls selling smelly things like durians and mystery meat! If you're aware of this, you'll be fine. Just be prepared to walk out of the train station and have to handle the crowds before getting to the hotel. The hotel itself though is very quiet and clean. It also appears to be one of the more modern buildings in the area!
* This is a budget hotel, so we had to ask for things like towels (i think the cleaning ladies just forgot them, its not like they aren't included). The reception team were absolutely great though and were able to give us anything we missed out on.

I would highly recommend them, especially if you don't want to spend a fortune, need somewhere easy to get to, and if you want to see a side of Singapore most people don't ;).

Have fun! And thank you Fragrance Ruby hotel for your hospitality.

Room Tip: We tried both rooms, the executive room and the basic room. They were exactly the same! The only di...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lyriko
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The first room we were given still had dirty sheets on the bed. The hotel seems to be used by prostitutes as a couple got in the lift and he asked her if she did something I won't repeat and she agreed. They did not seem to know each other and did not even appear to speak the same language. This, I suppose is not surprising as the hotel is in the middle of the red light district apparently - just don't take the kids there. I was so happy I had brought my sleeping sheet with me because even though the sheets appeared clean in the second room they gave us, I had my doubts.
I am so surprised at the good reviews on Tripadvisor, we booked this hotel because of those reviews. When I complained to another hotel owner, he said that some hotels pay people to write good reviews so I will be more careful next time.

Room Tip: Check your sheets before you get into bed! Better still, stay away from this hotel altogether!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lee C
Reviewed 14 January 2014

LOCATION:I knew when I booked this hotel that the location would be in Geylang, the red light district. Well, the location is much better than in Manila. There are local dimsum places, Indian restaurants serving curries and rotis, It's a 10 minute walk to Al Juneid MRT and 4 blocks away is a local supermarket. Everything here is convenient. Just don't mind the callgirls on the main road.

HOTEL: It's clean, practical and has fast wifi. Service is great and efficient. No problems here.

ROOMS: Quite small just like an anteroom, but hey, I saw a similar room at BenCoolen St. and it was the same size except it has a balcony and the price is three x as expensive. For the going rate of hotels here in SG, this hotel ticks all the boxes- comfortable bed, chilling AC, clean bathroom, coffeemaker, etc. More for solo guests!

Price range: Competitive.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank julsitos
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My only concern is that the rooms are so small. It would be very hard for a couple to walk around the room comfortably. The staff are friendly and efficient, quick check in. The room was very clean. The location is fantastic. So close many restaurants and hawker stands. The MRT station is in easy walking distance. Overall I had a great experience staying here.
So what if this area is the red light area of Singapore. They don't worry me and I don't worry them.
If you are travelling solo, this is a great budget option.
You can even check out and they will store your bags, free.

Room Tip: Try and get a room higher up to avoid the road and restaurant noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The good: it's cheap! A browse through Singapore's hotel real-estate will reveal that hotels are expensive in this town. Getting around with ease is important and the Ruby is 10 minutes walk to Aljuniet MRT station. From there you can connect easily to anywhere in Singapore. Geylang has some great eating places - if you like to rub shoulders with the locals. Tables spill out onto the pavement. My favorite dishes are the dim-sum, roti prata and prawns. Prices are good because tourists don't come to this area. If you are adventurous try the eminent frogs leg porridge. I am not quite at that level. Yet. The rooms in the hotel are clean and there is a kettle, tea and coffee.

The bad: the hotel is normally full every night so there is no chance of an early check-in. That sucks if you arrive on an early morning flight and have to wait until 15:00 for a shower. The rooms are also small. With you and your baggage inside there is not enough room to swing a cat. But then, traveling with cats went out of fashion in the 80's so who cares. Geylang is not the newest suburb in Singapore. It's old and down to earth. It bubbles with character so don't come with high expectations.

The sleazy: yep - the hotel is slap bang in the middle of Singapore's red light district. You didn't expect good prices in a great area of town did you? Girls are on the street corner all hours of the day (and night) and you can pick up blue pills and performance enhancers from the local hawkers. Serious. Don't let the hookers bother you. Ignore them and they will ignore you.

So here's the bottom line - When I travel I like to hang out where the locals hang out, eat where they eat and buy noodles from their local corner shop. You don't get that experience at Raffles. That's why I choose the Ruby when passing through Singapore.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple