“Not a quiet night”

Fragrance Hotel - Emerald
Ranked #154 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We have stayed at the emerald for many years now but this was the worst.
They do group bookings by the coach load and some are up 5 am in the morning yelling from room to room. We stayed 5 nights before going to Bangkok for a week and before we left we left a note with reception listing the phone would not work, globe over desk did not work and the toilet water keeps running and on our return nothing has been done. We have had two nights out of nine without interrupted sleep. We will not be booking again.

Room Tip: We wish you luck
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Keithmay7

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was my second stay at Fragrance hotel- Emerald knowing about the smaller room size, location etc. However, what has bothered me this time is the staff attitude. Across the globe, the front desk will welcome with different grades of smiles, unfortunately, which is lacking at Fragrance hotel- Emerald! We arrived early in the morning, left our luggage asked the receptionist to arrange our pre-booked room at 3 PM, which is the official check-in time. When we returned at 3 PM, we were allotted a room on the 3 rd floor. We had to carry our luggage as no one escorted us. When I opened the room, to my disbelief I found the room in half way repair stage, with things scattered everywhere. I had to go down to ask the receptionist (stooge??) to check if he is not making mockery of our bookings! He allotted another room without any kind of verbal apology. After all, we had to carry our luggage from one place to another. The allotted room was quite small but clean, with only liquid soap in the bathroom. Soon the second big surprise was waiting for us, as the room failed to lock by itself. I had to request twice the same stooge to come up and see the things. The ‘buffoon’ washed his hand saying, “all I can do is take care of your luggage despite of lock problem”. He never bothered to change our room nor try to fix the locking problem. We struggled for half an hour trying to lock the room and ended with success. The struggle went on for two more days till we checked out.
My sincere appeal to the managing authorities of Fragrance Hotel is to give some hospitality lessons to their employees, as the guests arriving are not ‘ free dwellers’ but actually paid their ‘hard earned money’ to book the rooms in faith!! My message to front desk of Emerald is that honesty, sincerity and ‘smile’ always win people.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We arrived 2 hours past 12 noon, the taxi driver knew the place. It was a 15-minute drive, no traffic! Thank God. Okay okay, about the hotel, I booked it in Agoda, my first time, they did not let me down. Checking-in was fast. Polite staff, most of the things you need are self service. Don't expect bell boys to escort you to your rooms. What would you expect at that fair price? stay was good. Comfy bed, ordinary toilet, limited amenities. quite near to the city center. It was a good choice. Will definitely recommend!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NoViCeForNow
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This would have been a decent place to stay. The hotel was in good condition and it's in a decent location, just a five minute walk from the MRT to the airport and a few station from the city centre.
Unfortunately, my room had not been cleaned, or at least, it looked as though they had abandoned cleaning it half way through. The bed was tucked in, but there were two damp towels balled-up and a wad of tissue on the floor. The shower drain also had quite a bit of hair clinging on top.
I didn't complain to the staff because, as I said, the bed appeared to have been changed (maybe the previous guest hadn't slept in it?) and I was too tired to bother, having just got off a flight from Melbourne. I didn't want to have to wait around until they prepared another room for me.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Have you ever arrived in a city at 0430 am, its hot - sweaty and the bus has disgorged you in some nameless street, that was me Tuesday morning in Singapore! I have friends who expected me but good manners stopped me from calling so early.

I enjoyed a cigarette and looked in awe at the changes and buildings around me and the new Singapore National Stadium freshly constructed. A massive structure like a spaceship from the movie Independence Day. Where I was... Geylang Singapore and it came to me... Lorong 4 Geylang, the Emerald Hotel. I hailed a taxi and a good English speaking driver agreed - Geylang hotels are always open...

Under the garish neon lights there it was Fragrance Emerald. A double room - nope but two single beds, did I care? ... Not at all - with the heat I needed water, a shower and cool air-conditioning.

Two free bottles of Dr Who mineral water - Good flat panel TV - a surprisingly quiet room on the 7th floor, considering I was near the lift - free Internet at lobby level and a decent shower.
Ok the towels were a bit "Asian' thin, but then they get washed within an inch of life anyway.

The Fragrance Emerald is a clean hotel in an eclectic area of Singapore...
Two streets over (Lorong 8) they make the most amazing Singapore Coffee and a few Muslim cafes on the same side make the tasty Murtabaks. Murtabaks you ask?... I guess like roti canai filled with chicken and served with curried sauce to add even more flavour. Cheap, filling and a great breakfast... after breakfast and two whizzer coffees I needed another shower.

The Fragrance Emerald Air-conditioning worked well and I returned, did some washing and used the bathroom clothesline and had a bit of a rest.

This hotel is honestly priced in Singapore terms - $100 Sing versus some astronomical rates at others these days - is clean and I think good value... Reception can be a mad house with people coming and going - using internet etc and rooms are small, but they do an amazing job ...

The great news - and I took a walk across to Lorong 14, the 'new' Fragrance Pearl - a new and modern version of the hotel type with same management. This will be my stop on my next visit. Sames prices, modernist and same prices as the 'Emerald'.

Sure they are in an area with quite a few transit and 'short time love hotels' but don't let that put you off. That is part of life and as I always say - part of the colour of a particular community. If you don't like it, you don't need to look or stay - make your own choice
The Fragrance Hotels are all spotlessly clean, non-smoking, courteous staff and I rate them as good value.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeff M
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel was cheap and we got a good sleep. There are a lot of drawbacks though.

Firstly, it is a good 15 minutes walk from the MRT station. The MRT is a few stops away from the centre too, so it eats into your time a little to travel around. You have to pay for each service and the internet is not cheap. If you want to use the lobby computers its a dollar for 15 minutes.

The room was small and the bathroom a little mouldy in places. The bed was also dirty when we arrived and we had to ask the very frail housekeeper to change the sheets. There was a definite wear and tear to the hotel and it had seen better days.

While the neigbourhood is safe, it is also the red-light district. This means that there are groups of men congregating on street corners and a general level of seediness at night time.

I wouldn't really recommend the hotel to anyone, but it wasn't the worst place that we have ever stayed either.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tombillinge
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Emerald for several nights in April and were pretty satisfied with our stay. Singapore hotels are fairly expensive so this was a good budget option. The location was not extremely close to a lot of the tourist attractions, but we were able to catch a cab easily near the hotel and it only took about 10 minutes to get to where we needed to go. The rooms were clean and fairly spacious and there were a few small restaurants near the hotel for very inexpensive local breakfast items as well.
One of the drawbacks of the hotel is that the lobby is very small and it is the only place to get free wi-fi so it was always fairly crowded. One other note is that this hotel is close to the red light district so we often walked past working women at night. We never had any problem with it though and according to one of our cab drivers, the women only proposition local men so tourists don't need to worry. Overall it's a decent option if you're on a budget.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple