“Lodging house not for tourists”
Review of Boon Wah Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Singapore
Boon Wah Hotel
Ranked #201 of 231 Speciality Lodging in Singapore
Manila
“Lodging house not for tourists”
Reviewed 19 March 2009

I booked this hotel with Booking.com for October 1 to October 4, 2007 after reading their reviews of this hotel. I moved to another hotel an hour after check-in because I cannot withstand the pungent waxy smell of the room that is irritating to the nose and throat which will eventually make a person feel sick but I was made to pay for one night. Just imagine the floor of the hotel is only red cement finish. In my opinion, this hotel is not suitable for tourist and is not even a one star hotel. It is more like a lodging house for low class locals. Worst of all, Booking.com offered me to make a review but was never published in their website which explained why I was misled by their reviews. Fragrance hotel chain and Hotel 81 chain are far more better one star hotels with the same rate.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rudy1015

Families
sabah
Reviewed 24 December 2007

I happened to book a room for 4 nights while i planned to spend my xmas in singapore. however, i faced some urgent matter and have to leave on xmas day. i told the receptionist or owner about the cancellation of the rest of the 3days and was refused by them to take me in. they reasoned that it was xmas eve and there'll be many other guests and they do not intend to take me in for jus 1 night. i was travelling all alone all the way from malaysia and encounter with this problem. how am i supposed to get another hotel at this point of time?this was really a terrible experience. frankly, i didn't even get to stay in this hotel. this is really disappointing.

Stayed December 2007

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Bangkok/New York
Reviewed 4 April 2007

i swore, back in 1988, when i was in hong kong that i would never again stay in a room so small you could not open the door all the way without it hitting the bed.

it took 17 years for history to repeat itself in singapore.

all the furniture seemed to be 2nd hand salvage, smelled musty and was in disrepair.

the TV is mounted on a wall braket and the room is so small that the TV is hanging over the end of the bed, and it is noting but static and ghost images.

the bathroom is a tiny stall and the entire room is probably 4 foot square. the room was the shower "stall".

the management are genuinely nice people, and they do try hard to please. they were always helpful during my 2 nights and 3 days stay.

now, granted it was awhile ago that i was there, but i got the feeling that it is always going to be that way. sort of like suspended animation, or the clock stopped in the lobby of the twilight zone hotel kinda atmosphere.

one "plus" is the breakfast nook/room. it is ok/adequate for tea & coffee and biscuits & toast.

i would say it is a safe place.

the neighboorhood is safe.

there are many little local shops and restaurants because it is near to the heart of little india. Internet cafes abound, but i have to believe one of them had keystroke spyware because when i went back to the shop later in the day someone was logged in to my messenger and i always erase the history and all the saved content when using a public pc.

public transportaion is 2 minutes stroll down the street. china town is a 10+ minute bus ride.

final analysis: you get exactly what you pay for in any city, singapore is no exception.

• Liked — it was a business trip arranged by my employer and it was picked soley for its location and proximty to a vendor i had to deal with.
  • Disliked — the musty smell. it hung in the air and permeated everyting.
  • Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
4 Thank mtnthai
Sydney
Reviewed 1 March 2007

This place was a real mess. Though Singapore is said to be a very clean city, this hotel is located in the (rather dirty) suburb of "Little India" and the surroundings are filthy.

The door lock in the hotel room didn't look too safe, so I had to carry all my valuables around all day long. The ensuite toilet was not particularly clean and didn't flush properly. I even told the management about these issues, but they didn't care. At nighttime there were loud noises by other people in the hotel.

The bed sheets had stains on them, so I refrained from using them and had to buy new ones instead. The included breakfast was plain toast and jam, in a non-airconditioned outdoor kitchen. Credit card payment was not liked by the owners (although offered), so I had to withdraw cash at an ATM (at extra fees, of course). And the "free internet" access was limited to 10 minutes a day, watched by the receptionist.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — The high price for shabby accomodation
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank pithansen
Indonesia
Reviewed 10 February 2007

I booked double room but came alone. The hotel gave me a single room (but I have to pay double room rate!). The mineral water available with two color broken seal bottle. The towels are thin because old, the blanket is also very old.
The television has no remote control, so I never use it during 3 nights there. The staff told me that the remote is lost.
Right ! The floor is painted and the paint stuck in my foot. The staff always asked me whether I am checking out every time I dropped the room key. Thery should know that I have booked and paid the room for 3 nights, already.
And where is the internet facility ?
tiong-indonesia

• Liked — The room rate
  • Disliked — The real condition, many drawbacks
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank tiong
Bristol, England
Reviewed 15 December 2005

We booked the Boon Wah Hotel and the best way to summerise here is "you get what you pay for". We lost deposit and moved hotel straight after checking in. It was smelly, dirty sheets etc.. Granted their was Air Con, but all this did was blow the dust and cob-webs around the room (no joke!!!!). Not the most welcoming place either. We moved into the singapore budget hotel chain, "hotel 81", and that we would reccomend. great value!

As the other review says, probably bearable for one night, no more!

• Stayed December 2005
12 Thank pete_wright16
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2005

It's a room for under US$30 so you can't expect too much- the floor is painted, the blankets are worn, there are a couple of insects in the bathroom with you and the lock on the door is a laugh (however, they do supply you with a rubber door stop). The water pressure in the shower was first-class, though!
I chose this place because I only had 24 hours in Singapore and it's proximity to 24 hour shopping at the bargain centre Mustafa Department Store is great. The location is good- accessible from the Little India MRT if you have little luggage, though I had some problems finding it.
Breakfast is provided- white bread, toaster and some condiments, but in an area where a great meal need only cost you SG$3, this is superfluous.
I wouldn't recommend staying here if you're a single female (Singapore is a very safe place, but I still got some looks and catcalls walking around at night) or planning to stay for longer than a day.

14 Thank travellingincognito