“Nothing wrong with this hotel for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Sloane Court Hotel

Sloane Court Hotel
Ranked #257 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Brisbane, Australia
“Nothing wrong with this hotel for the price”
Reviewed 25 March 2011

My husband and I came across Sloane Court some years ago when we used to stay at the hotel across the road which has now been demolished. We were drawn to the appearance of this hotel which resembles an old English Pub. We only ever ate in the restaurant until this recent trip when we decided to give the accommodation a go even amid all the negative remarks on Trip Advisor. We had just that morning disembarked from the Queen Elizabeth after spending 3 glorious weeks in the lap of luxury so we are reasonably particular folks.
We were very impressed with the accommodation at Sloane Ct FOR THE PRICE and one has to remember what one pays in other Singapore Hotels. When visiting Singapore feel we only need a bed as we are out and about so much, loving the city as we do. We refuse to pay exorbadent sums for a hotel room hence us giving Sloane Ct a go as it is a third of anywhere else. Hotel room clean and comfortable, bathroom clean and adequately supplied FOR THE PRICE. Reception very friendly and helpful. We had no problems with the hotel, great quiet area, taxis a plenty at front door, 15 minute walk to MRT. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sallygoldcoast

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Unless I ever lose my memory of my stay at this god forbidden place, I will never, in this life time of the ones after, step into Sloane Hotel ever again!

We had a bad hunch the moment we reached the place. The first feeling I had was that I had just stepped into a very old haunted house.

Service at the front desk and room service was very poor - no smiles or hello or "thank you see you again". In fact, we felt like the people working there didn't want us there at all.

Though it was generally clean, everything in the hotel was OLD. They look old and yes, smelt OLD too. Even the CRT tvs were showing programs in black and white (we even had to tune some of the channels ourselves).

We decided to go out for supper after midnight but found the hotel's main entrance locked and we couldn't get out (or rather stuck in the horrible hotel). There was also no one was at the reception desk. Most lights at the reception area were also switched off. A sign was placed near the door informing guests to press the bell "ONLY once". We did as the sign says. Approx 30 seconds later, one of the staff, a middle aged chinese lady, appeared in her PJs, bed hair and a very unhappy face (we assumed it was because we had disturbed her sleep) to open the door for us. The same happened when we came back to the hotel. Only this time, we had to ring the bell more than once and had to wait for almost 10 minutes for someone to open the door for us to enter the hotel!!

On the day we were supposed to check out (check out time is at noon by the way), we received calls every 2 minutes from 1200 sharp to check if we had left our room. When told that we needed another 10 minutes, the receptionist said, "No, only five minutes for you to come to the reception to hand over the room key." We were appalled at her level of service. We were even more upset when the first thing she said to us in front of other guests at the reception during check out at 1230, "Terrible people!!". We were so surprised at her remark that we just didn't know what to say to her!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Nas28

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 July 2010

The hotel reception lady is the most terrible reception i have met in my life. I have paid the full amount of the 2 night stay online through latestays. and we give them the booking number, she couldn't find. somemore told us that normally online booking normally do not need to pay, just insert the credit card number to secure the booking. HELLO...is it first time got customer from Latestays. then we mention we already paid. then she search back the computer, then she say oh is at the deleted folder. Wow, how can the reception move the customer paid booking to the delete folder.

then, secondly she ask how many ppl will stay, i say 2 person, then she say oh u paid the amount is 1 person, so need to put in extra money for extra person. she insist us to do so. but when we make online booking, there mention got 2 single bed in the room. then she suggest us to add extra sgd 40 for 2 nights for the extra person, so that means a night sgd 20. then actually i will only stay 1 night, and my bf will stay for 2 night.then she say like that i have to charge you sgd29+7% per night. then i say why don't you just charge me sgd 20 on that night. she say cannot, that one must charge two night. then i say normally hotel also got 2 single bed or 1 double bed. and why she insist us to pay the extra, she keep telling that got customer actually four person but only book 2 person. then that is different case. now we only have 2 person. after that she say hotel is different from theirs, hotel won't check how many person.

After i hear the last sentence she told me, i feel that i do not want to talk to this person anymore. and i pay the amount. cause she also work in Sloane Court HOTEL. she say singapore is count by person but not room.

and the room is spacious but not clean. the aircond with sound. the bed without blanket. then we found in the cupboard, one of the blanket is unfold nicely. and the other one is dirty. so, i assume that there is no room service. the bathroom is not well kept. the chair look very old. and the sofa look dirty. only the wood floor look shiny.

in conclusion, I would not go back again. I rather spend more on other hotel. my friend told me budget hotel like Fragrance is better than this Sloane Court Hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank Jessica_Loo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I actually didn't stay here, but went to book the family room for friends of mine who were planning to visit with their two kids. I was met at reception by two sullen middle-aged ladies at the reception whose refusal to crack a smile was almost comical.
I explained what I was after quite politely, and was curtly told that four adults were not allowed to share the room. I assured them that the kids really were kids, ie, 9 and 6 years old. I asked to see the room. It looked dismal, although I liked that they had bunkbeds for the kids. The furnishings looked old and worn out, and the bathroom could have used a scrubbing.
I was then told that the extra bed would be charged extra. I said that four beds was all I needed, but they said the room only allowed for three beds, and a fourth would be charged extra, even though there was a double bed and two single bunkbeds already in the room. The lady seemed keen to throw in extra charges anywhere she possibly could, which was pretty amazing. Needless to say, I left as soon as I could.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank RishadP
Herts
Reviewed 24 March 2010

We stayed in Sloane Court for 5 nights so had enough time to 'see' it in kll its glory. If you want a bland, typical international hotel, don't stay here. It will not be your bag at all. If however you are travelling and love family run hotels, run by locals who really do know their town - this is fabulous.

If you don't know Singapore, you will look at the map of this hotel and think i' s too far away. we did when we first arrived. However, Singapore is very small and it takes not even 10 mins by a regular bus into the main shopping street. We did this, but as we have a 4 year old with us, we often got taxis back at night as he was tired. A taxi from Chinatown to sloane Court was very cheap. In London you would pay 20 pounds for this - it was about 3/4 pounds in Singapore.

As for the service - I am stunned that people say it was poor. We've been on the road with our kids for 3 months and this was probably the most helpful place we have stayed. Some hotels sigh when you ask for help - this one bent over backwards.

Re the rooms - the bed was very comfy, they did not hesitate to give us for free a good, clean mattress for our son, the towels were a bit thin - laundry service was fast - what else? It is not like an internatioanl hotel where everything matches - the curtains may not match the sofa upholstery, but the curtains are in good condition as is everything else.

I think we loved it also as Singapore is so sanitized that to find something a little more 'human' in Singapore was a breath of fresh air.

It is quirky - based on an old english inn that does not really exist in england any more - the restaurant serves therefore a very old english menu - very good food. The resto is not very atmospheric, but again, it is what you would have found in the UK at one point in time. Just because of this, I can see why people think it looks tired - it is not - it is old-fashioned, but well loved. Why is it that people always expect places to constantly modernise ? Is it not ok to just maintain well what works?

Anyway,I feel it necessary to tell you that this is the 1st trip advisor comment I have ever made as i feel so strongly that this hotel is misunderstood.

It is expensive - This is because Singapore is expensive - cheap is hard to find in this town.

I am vigilant about cleanliness as the though of a 4 year old getting bed bugs is gross - i cannot fault the cleanliness of this place.

We would go back if i ever wanted to be in Singapore again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank haylesHerts
Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2010

We had an very good time staying in this Hotel. It is off the main shopping areas but easily accessible by taxi's which go past on the main road all the time. Not a very expensive trip to Orchard Road only a couple of dollars. They have an excellent restaurant with a varity of courses at very resonable prices. The deluxe rooms are very spacious with modern bathrooms and relaxing colours. It is an older style hotel but it has been renovated in parts with air conditioning and windows that can be opened if necessary.The standard rooms are just basic but the deluxe room did not cost that much more and they were much bigger and had more features. The one thing it lacked was a tea and coffee making and a fridge. But the staff were very happy to keep milk in their fridge and give cups if you needed them. We found our stay very relaxing and the staff could not do enough for you.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RayandDenise20
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Not a top of the market hotel but conveniently located and very good value for money

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business