“Budget hotel near airport.”
Review of Hotel 81 - Sakura

Hotel 81 - Sakura
Ranked #206 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This hotel is a very basic low cost budget hotel. If you are just in need of a 1 night stay in Singapore then this is fine. We stayed here for just the 1 night - we are family of 4, and had the family room. It had a double and 2 singles. Clean & tidy but quite old. The bathroom was in need of update but again if it's just for 1 night it's fine. We ate at a little local eatery across the road and it was delicious. This hotel is a quick 15-20 minutes rIDE from the airport and only cost about $25 AUD.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Michelle W
There are newer reviews for Hotel 81 - Sakura

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Traveling on a budget, I opted for this hotel over a hostel. I'm getting too old to be stumbling to the bathroom in the middle of the night at a hostel, and this was only a few dollars more than the hostel I was looking at.

Very comfortable rooms. I arrived in Singapore quite late, on my way to Chennai, and had no problem at all checking in. Then I managed to plug in my charger to the wrong socket and blow a fuse in the room so I had no electricity. This happened about 2:00 am. I notified the front desk, and within about 10 minutes they had someone there to fix the problem.

I will absolutely stay here the next time I am in Singapore.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed there for almost 7 days. I went on a vacation there since my boyfriend lives there in Singapore. The hotel was very clean and comfy. They clean the room everyday. The hotel smells good. Everything was good. Close to hawker centers and all. I wanna go back to hotel 81 on my next visit.

Room Tip: Corner room
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lee Anne M
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Arrived after midnight & stayed in this hotel ($25 taxi ride from the airport) during a brief stopover. Out triple room was clean and functional (no window) but for the price charged (in expensive Singapore) we thought it very reasonable for a bed for the night.. We played tourist during the day (MRT 15-20min walk) leaving our checked out luggage with the friendly staff & were most impressed & appreciative when upon our return were given the opportunity to have a quick shower & freshen up before leaving for the airport. A real treat! Would certainly visit again should we need similar brief accommodation enroute in our travels. Tip : Hotel 81 is a hotel chain so ensure it is the Sakura you are booking into.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Benita R
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We chose this hotel as we only needed it until our late evening flight home after our cruise
Friendly staff and the hotel is neat and tidy. There are plenty of little eateries nearby and we enjoy a little bit of old Singapore in this area

Room Tip: We were given a room that looks onto the street but there are other internal rooms in the building
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank CruisersAustralia
Reviewed 21 February 2014

After the days of the Orcharde Parade going for $98 in 2008-09, the rate shot up. Lucky to get for $200 nowadays..So the search was on for a regular at a realisic cost.

At the airport hotel rez desk I ended up at Sakura 81 for $50 - give it a shot down at Joo Chiat, the old gangster territory in the ealry days. Today a classy area.

What a treat, great staff, it's not a noisy 'short time' place like a lot of 81's.
Excellent food in the area. They are up to $79 these days but with free good quality wifi, it works for me....Better tv channels than some places.

Room Tip: 4th floor back in a corner
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ozzy O
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights overall. Staff were friendly and responsive to my requests. Room and bathroom were clean. Size of room was relatively spacious than expected, so v.good value for money. Although nearest MRT station is quite far (30-40 mins one way) there is SMRT bus-stop 5 min-walk from hotel. Bus frequency was 10-15 mins and provided access to several MRT stations Dakota, Lavender, Bugis). Only inconvenience was wireless internet was very slow. Staff tried to help but there was no improvement. I finally gave up using wireless internet in room and resorted to using internet cybercafes and free wifi in coffee-shops. I check-in early and check-out at odd hours. Hotel staff were very accomodating. If wireless internet capacity is improved then highly recommend to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business