“Your worst nightmare, sleep on a park bench or in a public toilet, it is safer!!!! I'd rather a prison cell” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fragrance Hotel - Selegie

Fragrance Hotel - Selegie
Ranked #210 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

My travel agent flight centre booked me in this hotel in Singapore 3 nights 18-19-20 July 2014. Utterly disgraceful.
Within hours of arriving, the lady manager asked me when I was leaving. This may be the only English they know? They only want your money then come into your room several times unannounced from 7am asking you when you are leaving. When you leave the room, there is a man watching you, and when you enter the lift he goes into the room and goes through your insecure luggage looking for goodies. I got suspicious of him lurking around, so I doubled back from the lift via the stairs next time and found him in my room with a bag emptied and going through the contents on my bed. I confronted him, asked for the manager who was not available, but the lady staff member refused to help and just asked the usual when I was leaving. So I quickly went to bugis street bought more locks and double locked my luggage, backpack etc. they have a baggage room, but it's full, don't trust them with your luggage as they just leave it in reception unsupervised and insecure and entire bags get stolen. 3 other guests complained with me, same answers - manager is not available followed by when are you leaving. As for the room, I have never had to shower over the toilet before, which really was crazy space saving design. The air conditioning in wall hasn't been cleaned and covered in dirt, dust and grime which is a true legionella risk. Malaysian cleaning lady was so lovely, but chemicals she told to use have a pungent sound. Inadequate cleaning equipment provided to staff, so they must use towels in an indescribable order which means toilet and bacteria spread randomly throughout room thereafter. Staff making noise out in corridor from 6am, banging on doors noisy trolleys and yelling, so do not expect a good sleep or rest on holidays. Plus you never know when they will again come in your room unannounced. Every morning without fail, the staff enter your room every hour or so from 7am until noon, without knocking or asking first, asking when you are leaving, even in my case with 3 days paid in advance before arriving they just annoyed me constantly every day. I was in the shower second day, the door opened so I asked the manager to leave as I needed a shower. Her response was to go downstairs and call me on the hotel phone for 15 minutes continuously until I left the shower. I asked why, she asked again when I was leaving when I still had 2 more nights paid for. Either they didn't want me to shower or they couldn't afford the hot water heating bill maybe ??? I asked some locals in Bugis Street what us the go with the hotels, they told me that since the little India riots the local people hate westerners and chinese people, so they really don't want us there. So why take bookings from foreigners - if it is their perverse form of expressing it???? I told the Singapore tourist commission who review and licence hotels, they were horrified and promised to review their accreditation as it reflected badly on Singapore. Don't even think of going to this hotel, it is not safe - and don't go to this area if you have European skin, they like your money but they don't want you there and they impolitely let you know by asking when you are leaving all the time.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Paul L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I will not comment on the room size and its convenient location, this hotel simply has a big Heart. Thank you Michelle, Sheila, Paul and Lionel for making our stay, one of the most memorable one. We loved the warmth and the positive energy that you brought to the front desk. You were always responsive to our smallest and the most frivolous needs. The hygiene and the cleanliness standard of this hotel goes beyond its 3-star rating. I recommend this hotel to families, couples and business travelers.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mans00r
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Arrive with a unfriendly front desk staff. Room was small and not cleaned well. Had certain kind of fowl smell. Should not even be a 2 star hotel. Request to meet with the Manager was met with "sorry Manager is not free"

Never ever stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Never go to this hotel. That is my advise to you.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kelvinsaint

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Luzon, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The good points of Fragrance Selegie start with its location and its staff. It is around 5 to 10 minutes walk towards Little India MRT and around 15-20 minutes walk towards Dhoby Gaut MRT. These matter much to those who choose to visit Singapore without the packaged tours. Around this hotel are numerous cafes, 7-11s, malls like Plaza Singapura and a lot more. The surrounding area is safe even at night and for those in search of bargain buys and souvenirs, it is around 10 minute walk to Bugis Street. The staff of this hotel are polite and attentive to guest's needs and there is a tour operator always on stand by at the lobby should you like to join their tours or ask which place would be best to go to. At most I would rate this hotel as adequate because it provides a clean room to stay in with hot and cold shower, free breakfast (not all Fragrance hotels and or budget hotels serve breakfast) but I must say, I did not see any breakfast fit for vegetarians. It has more potential but is limited by its facilities and room lay out. Limitations of this hotel would be, as others have pointed out, the bathroom and its beds. If you are more than 5 ft 5 in in height, then look elsewhere. The beds are at most for petite frames and the bathroom design is such that the shower head is literally across the toilet bowl. So where you stand after using the toilet is where you shower. There is thankfully a sink and a mirror but the space is just enough. We had a superior room so I cannot speak of the other room types. Wifi is around SGD5 for 2 hours or SGD10 for 24 hours, no free wifi at the lobby. Despite its limitations, I would still recommend this hotel for first timers and those with a limited budget.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Family room size should be only standart, force to be 2 bed is painfull. Additional single bed quality is very old, I can feel the spring on my body. AC not function properly. Traffic sound can enter the room loudly! Cannot sleep at all. Worse 1 night in Singapore. Good part only breakfast food. Should stay away from this hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

A lot if reviewers maybe have high expectations for a two star hotel. However this hotel is exact to its description a perfect place to rest your head before either heading into the city district for business or into town for amazing shopping.

It is a backpackers haven but also for people trying to keep to a budget. Rooms are small but are comfortable enough, if you get the hotel at a cheap price then you have scored twice really.
What i really like is that if they are fully booked when you have booked the hotel they will happy accommodate you in one of their sister hotels which not a lot of hotels do nowadays.
Ignore all the other negative reviews and look at it for what it is a nice, comfortable affordable place. If you want luxury go and pay for it.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank No_Need_2_Lie
singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Me and my gf check in for just 3 hours after a day shopping just for resting.Room was ok for us(single room).Impressed by the flat screen samsung tv which even show fox movie channel.Good strategic location near little india mrt.A stone throw away from bugis st.The famous chicken rice stall nearby with excellent service.U can buy snacks and drinks at the 711.The receptionist was professional and welcome us although we are local.Thk u.And im looking forward to go there again.This time 2D1N

• Stayed June 2014