“Excellent stay”

Hotel Kai
Ranked #109 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was staying in this hotel for 3 nights (14.07.14- 17.07.14) and I've gotta say it was a great experience.
Yes, rooms are small, but its design is very modern and cozy and there is everything you may need like iron, kettle, all the amenities and so on. And the bed is amazing! Very comfortable :) Unfortunately, there was no window in the room, but there was enough lights, so it was okay.
It was also a nice gesture to give a complimentary cookies, tea and coffee in the room for the guests, something that small but leaves a good impression.
Also the complimentary breakfast was really good. Yes, it's basic breakfast food, like scrambled eggs, pancakes, toasts, cornflakes, tea, coffee, orange juice and fruits, but it's all cooked really well and it's what you need in the morning to get the energy for a long day.
The location of the hotel is perfect, it's just 5-7 minutes walking time from a huge shopping mall Suntec city, a couple of minutes from the bus stop so if you want to go somewhere it's very easy.
And finally, I want to say a huge thanks to every person working there for always being helpful, friendly, nice and for having some interesting conversations with me :)
They also advised some nice places I should visit, explained how I can get somewhere where i wanted and in general kindly answered all my questions.
And once again big thanks for bringing my documents to the bus, which I accidentally left, it's much appreciated!
I definitely suggest you to stay in this hotel if you are looking for a small, friendly, not expensive but great and comfortable hotel, and I will come back to this hotel one day when I will get an opportunity to visit Singapore again for sure! :)

2 Thank Natalya P
EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Natalya P
Thank you for your appreciation for our team members and the basic amenities with snacks and drinks set up in all our guest rooms. We are happy to know that you have a great experience with us at Hotel Kai and we wish you all the best in your new journey! PS:Please email me next time when you are back and we will prepare our Urban Studio with window for you

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 20 July 2014

the room is too small, we can just lay on the bed.....
but the service is nice, they are very helpful and polite
toilet is a little bit small...no so comfort on it
location is nice, near the MRT station, and near the shopping mall

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Carmen M
Thank you for your compliments on our team members and their services, our rooms are designed in an unique style and sizes due to the preserved heritage area, you might like to book for our Urban Studio room or Heritage Skyloft which come with a big balcony, I will be glad to find you a suitable room next time when you are back at Hotel Kai!
Bad Hofgastein, Austria
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The location is perfect: downtown, near the subway - Causeway Bay MRT Station - - Times Square, Soho, hustle and bustle.
Rooms are about 6 square meters each but packed with necessities - espresso maker, fridge, iron, tea kettle, hair dryer, TB, AC, iron.
Dorothy and Georgius offer priceless tips.

EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, 12 April 2017
Dear Max W
Thank you for your reviewed but we are not at Causeway Bay MRT station
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I only had a stopover for 1 night in Singapore and after a lot of research I decided that Hotel Kai would be better than staying near the airport i.e a lot cheaper. From the moment I stepped into the lobby (which doubles as the bistro) I felt calm and relaxed. The older gentleman at the desk was so kind and friendly and you could tell he cared a great deal about the hotel. Check in was flawless and quick and within 5mins I was escorted to my room... Talk about service! The room itself (the one I stayed in - single cabin room) was small, 1 single bed. But literally everything you could possible need: complimentary water, alarm clock, iron and ironing board, cups and complimentary toiletries. The only issue I had was drainage from the shower. The water just sat there, so every time you wanted to use the toilet you had to get your feet wet! Again, a minor issue because everything else was fabulous.

I would definitely stay here again, especially if I'm travelling solo.

1 Thank ClaireMcNeilage
EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear ClaireMcNeilage

Thank you for your awesome review! Our engineering team is looking into improvement areas for the shower floor and we hope this will not mar your stay with us. We always try our best to analyse and understand the individual's needs of all our guest and we hope you will have more than an awesome experience next time when you are back at Hotel Kai!
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've never seen a staff that is so dedicated to their work as in this Hotel. They read your mind and provide you what you need without having to ask for it, making you feel at home. Excellent hospitality ! .

Thank you all especially Douglas , CoCo, Lance and sorry for the ones I didn’t get a chance to get their names.
Concerning the Hotel :
Pros : Location, Clean , Quiet, Modern , Comfortable adjustable beds (like in Hospitals) , Quick Wi-Fi , Complementary Bikes, Complementary portable Wi-Fi router which is very handy if you depend on Google maps to get around the city by BUS, comforting breakfast just like in home(nothing fancy or weird), very safe .

Cons: No privacy in the bathroom (not for honey moons), Double Bunker Rooms are tiny (I have to say this because me, my wife and even my 3 years old daughter banged our heads several times in this room before we moved to the studio room which is big enough , not a good value for money but almost all Hotels in Singapore are .

In summary it is one of the best places to be in if you will spend the entire day outside sightseeing and want a clean, convenient and a welcoming place to lay your head and rest.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Mostafa A

Thank you for your kind compliments and encouragement for Douglas, Coco, Lance and the rest of the Team members as this really boast up our confidence and we will continue to strive for excellent in every way! Our Urban Bunk is designed for a double occupancy and we are happy to know that you find our Urban Studio more comfortable since you are traveling with your child, Hotel Kai look forward to welcome you and your family again, especially your lovely girl who smile melts our heart daily!
Jakarta
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Perfect location,
very convinience, comfortable bed, nice & helpful staff, small room but have everything. Modern design & interior. Surrounded by good restaurant & cafe. Easy access to MRT station ( city hall & bugis) Definitely will come back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear dels109
We are very happy to know that you find Hotel Kai a perfect location for you to stay while you are in Singapore, you can visit our website www.hotelkai.com for direct booking, My Team & I look forward to welcome you back again soon!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I had a 4D3N stay at Hotel Kai as I need to be away from my home for a short while. I managed to get a good deal from Agoda which cost only about S$270 for the entire stay, so do try Agoda to see if there are still special prices for this hotel.

The check-in was very quick and the staff kindly brought me to my room, which some major 5-star hotels don't even do, especially when they realise we are Singaporeans who came for staycations. I had booked a Urban Bunk room as it was the cheapest room from Agoda and it was a good choice. As rooms from Hotel Kai are so tiny (only 7sqm for Urban Bunk), I made use of the upper bed to put all my luggage, giving me some walking space. Hence, I would encourage solo travellers to book the Urban Bunk room so that you can place your luggage on top (or below, depending where you choose to sleep, although I would recommend sleeping at the bottom as it is cold on top). The bed is comfortable with a thick blanket provided. Despite the small size of the room, each room comes with an individual air conditioner, so you can adjust the temperature accordingly. The downside of sleeping on the top of the bunk bed is that the air con is situated right beside it, hence you can feel the cold air directly, which is why I recommend to sleep at the bottom, unless you're not afraid of the cold. I must warn that adjusting the temperature doesn't help as you can still feel the cold air blowing directly at you, whether it is 18 degrees or 27 degrees. Right beside the bed is a small table, in which you can find oreo biscuits, coffee, tea, bottled mineral water and sugar, and they are complimentary. Stirers (to stir the coffee) are not provided, hence I would suggest the hotel to provide as it doesn't require much effort or cost to do so. Paper cups instead of the normal cups are provided, which is fine with me. Electric kettle to make hot water, iron and hairdryer are right above the table. Right beside the table is the vanity area and as many have mentioned, there's everything you need - toothbrush (not-too-bad quality, unlike some hotels, which provide toothbrush that spoil after a day), toothpaste, comb, shaver, sanitary bag, cotton buds, shower cap (I think so, can't remember), laundry bag and bedroom slippers. I must say that's really wonderful service for such a small hotel. Right beside the washing basin is the bath area, which is really small - the width of the bath area is less than a metre, but I'm fine with it as the water didn't flood the room. The toilet bowl is also situated inside the bath area. Shampoo, conditioner, bar soap and shower gel are provider, although they can be inconsistent. A floor mat, clean towels are provided too, with the exception of facial towel, but that's ok for me as I made use of one of the smaller towels. The TV (1 TV at each bed - which is very cool) has some great channels (starworld, fox, fox movies, national geographic, etc), although it seems that you might not be able to switch on 2 TVs (if you're staying in the bunk room) at the same time; I tried switching both and one will automatically be switched off whenever the other one is switched on. Not a major issue and perhaps the hotel can clarify if that's really true, but it serves no purpose to have 2 TVs when you can't switch off both at the same time. So this is something the hotel might want to reconsider.

My stay comes with complimentary buffet breakfast and as many have commented, it is nothing to shout about, but I'm sure budget travellers would be thankful to see budget hotels providing breakfast. It is basic as many have pointed out - bread (you can toast if you wish), butter, jam, scrambled eggs, baked beans, cereal, chicken turkey bacon (available on alternate days only), pancakes (available on alternate days only), French toast (available on alternate days only), coffee, tea and orange juice. The quality of the breakfast is not bad as I enjoyed the coffee. I would suggest the hotel to provide set breakfast instead of buffet breakfast to avoid food wastage given the small scale of the hotel. You can consider breakfast sets such as American breakfast, Continental breakfast, Singapore breakfast, Pancakes, etc. I've seen some small boutique hotels doing that and the food taste great. I had dinner once at Kai Bistro and the burger is fantastic as what many have mentioned. The food is also quite cheap, compared to other restaurants. This hotel has changed my perception of budget hotels, which I thought would have almost nothing, except a room for you to sleep after an entire day of sightseeing; some budget hotels don't even have individual toilets, but this hotel has everything a solo traveller on low budget would require, so this is a major plus point.

Now, the not-so-good part. Everything was great on the first and second day. On the third day, I placed my dress in the laundry bag to be sent for washing. Before I went out (this was around 1.30pm and makeup service is still not done for my room and other surrounding rooms, by the way), I put the laundry bag in my room and placed the makeup service sign outside my room. When I came back at night, the room was cleaned up but the laundry bag was, to my horror, still in the room. I went to check on what had happened and was told that I should have brought my laundry bag down to the check-in counter if I would like to engage a laundry service. I replied that I was not aware of it. After making some calls, the staff managed to get an agreement from the laundry service company for my clothes to be ready by 7pm the next day. I'm thankful for this, but wish that I was told beforehand that I need to bring my laundry bag to the check-in counter if I require laundry service. Having settled this, I went back to my room. While taking a bath, I realised that my conditioner and bar soap had been taken away by the cleaning staff. I also realised that my bottled mineral water (not opened yet before I left my room in the afternoon) had been removed too and not replaced. Because of that, I have to cook my own water using the electric kettle. As mentioned earlier, I placed all my luggage on the top bed and strangely, the cleaning crew removed my luggage and placed them on the bottom bed. I also used the top bed's blanket as I'm afraid of the cold and the cleaning staff put that blanket back to the top where it should be. I was disappointed as I had a long day and came back to find my laundry bag not taken away, and the cleaning staff putting things at the wrong place and removing amenities from the room. However, I must say the cleaning staff for the second day has done a perfect job - not only did she provide me with extra bar soap and shower gel (which was missing when I check in), she did not put the top bed's blanket back to the top bed. This is what I call service and knowing what your customers want. I believe this is not the first time guests have commented that some cleaning staff have removed some amenities from the room without replacing them. The hotel might want to advise the cleaning staff who was on duty on 24 Jun 2014 not to remove amenities without replacing them, which I find very strange.

Despite some minor issues, I'm giving the hotel 5 stars to encourage them to do better as it definitely has the potential due to the great location as many have shared. While the room is small, it has everything (or even more than expected) a budget traveller requires. Even the restaurant comes with complimentary wifi. All the hotel needs to do is to work on the minor problems that I have pointed out, especially when service is all it has. You can't beat other hotels in terms of room space, facilities and breakfast, but you can do so with great service and great service doesn't require much costs.

Room Tip: Urban Bunk room is good for solo travellers who require more space without paying more - all you nee...