“Impossible to find and to contact”
Review of SkyOrchids

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Singapore
SkyOrchids
Ranked #269 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore River, Singapore
“Impossible to find and to contact”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I tried e mailing and ringing the hostel, and there was no response. On arriving in Singapore I could not find it, even though searching on google confirmed I was in the right area. I gave up and had to find other hotel. I guess I'll be charged as I was unable to confirm a cancellation beforehand. The hostel site said to contact the hostel, but I was unable to.
Not happy!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Literally impossible to locate. You'll have to call them and struggle with the language barrier. There's no marking on the door. Otherwise I would return for sure. Nice and pretty new. Great location............................

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mitch G
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I was quite surprised with this Hostel, first it was quite difficult to find as it isn't really signposted. It's right at the end beside a shop through a non-assuming door. However it is located right beside the MRT station which made transport a dream. The room we stayed in was a 4 bed dorm with AC without windows meaning when lights out it's PITCH black., due to its close proximity to the station this turned out to be beneficial as we had quiet sleep filled nights. The WIFI was good and the upstairs communal area had a massage chair (nice touch). The hostel provided breakfast: Coffee or Milo and Toast with Jam and butter, there is always a queue for the Toaster so either get down early or be prepared for a bit of a wait. The management didn't provide any information about what to do in Singapore besides a map. The bathrooms were clean, the showers seemed quite temperamental and the toilets could've done with restocking of toilet roll more. Would happily stay here again!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Odoodle
scotland
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Have stayed in this Hostel numerous times . Yes the previous lady in charge could be difficult ,but I did not have any problems with her ,apart from forgetting to take my shoes of .This lady has moved on . The young lady in charge now is very helpful . The hostel is clean and tidy ,beds are very comfortable . There is a basic breakfast of toast ,cereal , coffee . My last visit was Feb 2013 . I consider the hostel good value for what you pay and will be using it again .

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank bobbysox66
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My friend discovered the hostel and booked it on the premise that it was the cheapest one she could find. When traveling with a large group, staying at a hotel is pretty much out of the question.

The location is good, as it's very near the Aljuned MRT station. First timers may be a bit turned off by the surroundings, especially if you're used to staying in hotels but it seems safe enough. A lot of eateries and even a 7-Eleven is nearby for your convenience (note: There's a restaurant on the first floor of the building. The smell of whatever they're cooking gets caught in the stairwell of the hostel, and it's rather er, surprising at first).

The place is clean. If you've lived in a dorm it's pretty much like that. Rooms are mixed (I shared mine with my five friends, all girls, and two guys who I don't know), and range from four people to about six or seven max. We were able to rent one of the rooms for private use since there were a lot of us. Each room has an air-conditioner and a locker where you can keep your valuables. The beds are comfy enough and the sheets are changed as soon as you check out (saw this when the two guys I mentioned earlier left).

The hostel occupies two floors of the building (2nd & 3rd floors). One of the rules of the house is you have to leave your shoes outside. Slippers/flip-flops seem to be ok when you're using the toilets/taking a bath. The landlady offers breakfast, mostly bread, cereal and your choice of coffee, tea, hot choco or milk. You can buy toiletries from her, and use the laundry for a fee. Internet is free though. There's a common-use computer although you can get the wi-fi password from the landlady.

Seems good enough right? However, like what most of the reviews say, the landlady isn't someone you might warm up to. My interaction with her was limited, but my impression of her is that she's brash, straightforward and rather short tempered. I don't know if it's a language barrier thing, but she's gotten into an argument with two of my friends on the first day whilst we were checking in. If she doesn't like you, she won't hesitate to say so. I thought it was just us she was like that with, but it seems she's like that with most of the visitors. As one reviewer here noted, if you're nice to her she's nice to you too. I'd give props to her though, as she was quite helpful when we needed assistance with some documents we needed printed out.

Verdict: Location, facilities and cost is pretty good. You truly get what you paid for. Just stay on the landlady's nice side and everything will be quite all right. Best of luck!

Room Tip: Try getting a room on the 2nd floor towards the left from the entrance. It's further from the MR...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
10 Thank lunedi_enair
Jakarta
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Basically the hostel works fine for me, cheapest that i could find... compares to any other chaep hostel around geylang... clean, comfortable bed..
For a very low budget traveler, this place is heaven!
All you have to deal is the lady who runs it, she's can be a lil bit harsh, but c'mon dont be too over sensitive, (all that you need is a place to crash here). If you're nice enough, I can assure you, she can be nice too :)

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank TheTami
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 August 2010

that landlady there is a monster.b4 coming to singapore,we made reservations and was ask to pay thru credit card 10percent of the total amount but when we arrived there,it seems that they did not made reservation for us and were asked to stay with 2 males inside the room stating that its a mixed dorm in which we know nothing abt.this monster,noticing our discomfort,started to shout at us as if we were just insects.we came to singapore to enjoy and not to be maligned by this fat landlady monster.we told her we cant stay there because of the situation and she's so rude.she made us pay one day stay which we happily obliged just to be able to get rid of that appalling hostel.i dont recommend this hostel,you will surely regret it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank ladyluck00

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels