“Good hostel on strategic location”

and 1 more site!
Backpacker Cozy Corner GuestHouse
Ranked #148 of 227 Speciality Lodging in Singapore
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
“Good hostel on strategic location”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I stayed here twice on 2010 i booked dorm room for only 16 sgd and on 2012 i booked double room for 50 sgd with shared bathroom. This is the type of hostel that you can't ask for more, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was fine, you can have a toasted bread for breakfast and you have to wash the dishes after you ate. It's quite fine for me because it's location in front of Bugis Junction. And you can get 24 hours food in downstairs.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PuspaPelangi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Yekaterinburg, Russia
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Well, I can't compare this hostel to other hostels of Singapore, because I haven't stayed at other places. But I was so shocked that now, 3 months since, I have decided to write this review.

At 55 singaporean dollars a day you get a windowless claustrophobe-nightmare dingy room with a bed. Stark painted walls and a mirror, small bedside table - nothing else. In the morning you get toasts with jam and spread, and tea. Common shower was probably tiled 50 years ago - tiles are primitive and cracked. Faucets are leaking. I am not a queasy kind of person, but I was shocked all right. You feel... not just cheap, you feel almost despised and humiliated there. In the common area there are several computers with internet. But you can't download anything, including skype. Or else what, do you think? - Or else we report you to police, says note on the wall.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dasha S

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Don’t have too many expectations on comfort as this is one of the cheapest options in Singapore! The 3 stars is according to the price. Our twin room on the main street was extremely noisy, get some ear plugs before. We got an airplane blanket. The staff are not too helpful and don’t make the effort to smile. The hostel is very close to Ah Chew desserts (yummy!) and the two restaurants below are good cheap options to eat at.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank terpsichore514
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This is my far the worst guest house I have ever been to!

The service is awful! One random guy who works here, has yelled at me THREE different times for no reason!

He even tried to kick me out because I asked for a tea 20 minutes after breakfast ended. He flipped out because I was in the hang out area, charging my phone. He said " I had my stuff everywhere!"

Worst part is, he is crazy! He yells at me, and then 5 minutes later tries to be nice, and make jokes, as if he didn't just flip out at me!

He keeps saying " he has never seen anyone act like this before!" Ummmm sorry I asked for a tea and was charge my phone in the hang out area. There are no chargers in the room.

The last thing he did was accuse me of not being able to pay. Thing is, the night before, the other man working here said it was fine to pay when I leave. Well, this man has harassed me 4 times about my payment. He even went as far as talking about it with my friend, saying " she can't pay. I know she can't pay." When he tried to kick me out, he said " don't worry about paying me, I know you can't afford it." Umm, excuse me!?

The rooms are so stuffy my friend had to go out for a walk in the middle of the night because she felt like she couldn't breath.

The other guests here are old and weird. Creepy.

The eating area is in the bathroom!!! It's disgusting.

Overall, the vibe is awful, but because of this one, ridiculous employee, I'm writing my very first review on a hostel, after traveling for 6 months

• Stayed May 2013
6 Thank Justrunningaway
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Barely acceptable place if you are on a very tight budget, as Singapore has few budget options, but their private rooms leave a lot to be desired. Our windowless room was just big enough for a bed, the wifi was unreliable, the walls were thin and we heard the neighbors clearly, the flimsy blanket we were given was ratty, and the shared bathrooms are very rundown. The staff was kind enough to give us toilet paper for free - otherwise would have cost S$0.50. At least the AC worked well.

Breakfast was bare minimum - white bread with questionably old butter and a jelly-like substance. There weren't enough dishes or seats to go around, so people were pushed out of the eating area as quickly as possible.

Room Tip: At least the dorm rooms have a window... our private double did not.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Nakhon Pathom, Thailand
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I have stayed in many dorm style hostels before, but it was strange that this place didn't have individual locks for each room. There are lockers available but the set up was very strange. The shared bathrooms were decent, although the first shower on the left had lots of bugs flying around. The staff wasn't very helpful... for a backpackers hostel their suggestion was always "take a cab" and didn't seem to know a lot about the bus system or local internet cafes. Free wifi and computers are available to use, but we had to print train tickets and using the printer was not an option... The location is probably the best thing about this place. Close to cheap eats and in walking distance of the harbors and museums. Our stay was very average... if the staff was friendlier or more helpful it would have been a much more positive experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shannon H
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 March 2013

For 10 years I've been making trips to Singapore and I always stay at Cozy Corner. Over the years, I've seen reviews of both extremes. So here is my review:
SERVICE: Cozy's staff is, overall, attentive and helpful. Is it possible travelers have caught them at a tired or frustrated moment? Of course. We are all human. But overall, I have observed Cozy's staff genuinely & sincerely wanting to help--with both advice and troubleshooting--when faced with questions or problems.
VALUE: With one of the best locations in Singapore, and having some of the lowest prices, the value--on a location-to-price ratio--is excellent. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be a returning guest for 10 years!
SLEEP QUALITY: Cozy provides what it advertises: fans or AC, beds, blankets, and doors (for quietness) at night. I've always been able to sleep.
CLEANLINESS: I've always observed Cozy's cleaning staff cleaning the premises. So there IS attentiveness to this. Is the cleanliness always perfect? No hostel is perfect. But I have always felt fine going into Cozy's bathrooms & showers (not grossed out, like at some other hostels around the world).
LOCATION: one of Cozy's best assets! Right across the street from one of Singapore's popular hubs (Bugis), as well as bus & MRT stops.
ROOMS: over the years I've observed if there is a room problem, Cozy's staff DOES try to help (AC not satisfactory? Then trying to move you or some other solution). But sometimes problems are not Cozy's doing (like a goof by an online booking site, so a room expected is not available), and I've witnessed travelers rant at Cozy's staff. In life, mishaps happen...so a little flexibility goes a long way...and will save you from high-blood pressure.
OVERALL: Absolutely I would recommend Cozy!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business