“Very Nice!”

Ranked #148 of 227 Speciality Lodging in Singapore
Philippines
“Very Nice!”
Reviewed 31 August 2009

If you want to save your money u can stay at cozy corner...its a nice place for what ur paying for...hostels here in the Philippines are much more expensive and dirty...

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank terewizard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
mumbai
Reviewed 19 May 2009

All though the hostel is centrally located the area of the rooms is very small and the ACs are not effective not only that during the day time they don't run the AC and even don't use table fan.The lady in the reception helps for buying the daily bus ticket and expaling the tourist spots. Further cleanliness should be maintain the owner is very adment he simply does not listen your request

• Liked — nothing but particular
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Calgary, AB
Reviewed 29 January 2009

I stayed in Singapore for nearly 2 weeks at this hostel and really enjoyed it. For S$14 a night, I stayed in an air-con 6-share mixed dorm. Yes, there were no windows in my dorm (though I saw some dorm's/rooms had them). And yes, the dorm rooms are small in comparision to other places I've stayed prior to this visit (compared to the lux YHA hostels of Australia/NZ). And yes, if you are unlucky, or extra cheap, enough to get a "dorm" room on the open-air covered rooftop, I would feel sorry for you :) Perhaps when you reserve a room, request to NOT be placed in that particular section of the hotel.

But for the price, the location (across from MRT, near bars/hawkers/restaurants, fairly central location) and the amenties (free internet + breakfast), you can't beat it. The showers had warm (sometimes hot) water, but it's so bloody hot in Singapore, I often as not wanted a cold shower anyways.

Pros :

- Great location.
- Cheapest hostel I found in Singapore.
- Free breakfast + internet (boohoo, you had to wait 15 minutes)
- Secure lockers + magnetic door locks
- Western toilets.
- Rooms are swept and mopped it appears everyday.
- If brave enough and if you arrive before ~11PM at night, you can take the MRT into town from the airport, stop at the Bugis Station, and walk across the street to this hostel, saving about $15 SGD in taxi fair.

Cons :

- There is rarely, if ever, any toilet paper in the washrooms. Buy your own and welcome to Asia!
- Air-con is kept on in the rooms for 18 hours a day.

• Liked — Best Value!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank LyndenC
Singapore
Reviewed 12 January 2009

I needed a place to stay for 5 nights and I didn't want to spend much money. I saw the Backpacker in the cheap bed section of a book about Singapore travel. I got a room for $17 with 2 bunk beds (they had some for $12 & $14 and I think private 2 person rooms were $40). The room was only full for Fri & Sat nights. The bathrooms very community orientated but after the first day it seemed quite normal. Free breakfast was just toast & coffee/tea but it was still free. The internet was nice (3 computers) some people aren't very considerate but not the hostel's fault. Nice lady that runs the place, she knew my name the whole time. Other people on this review have been very negative and I will say that I think most people should know what they're getting into for such a cheap price. For $17, air conditioning, a shower, and some toast is a great deal. Plus, its in a GREAT location. Near some shopping, downtown, the Raffles Hotel, and an MRT station. New lockers arrived while I was there. Big enough for a large backpack. All of the guests seemed comfortable as well.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Lack of privacy
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank mdboulier
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2008

Like the authors of the other two reviews I see posted here, my boyfriend and I got a room at Cozy Corner as a last resort. The only space available was a closet-sized, concrete, dorm-like box with enough room for bunk beds and little else, on the roof level, right outside the extremely rough-around-the-edges "roof-top-cafe".

The mattresses were thin, the tiny, ancient fan provided didn't do much to help with the claustrophobic heat of our room, and we had very little privacy as the place was packed to the brim and there were mattresses strewn all over the roof surface right outside our door!

Despite this, the reality is that hostels in Singapore are expensive and given what we paid for our room here, and the EXCELLENT central location, we really couldn't complain. The bathrooms are shared and do have hot water. There were secure lockers available for use. There weren't any bugs or other pests and the linens and towels were clean.

Do be warned that the 'breakfast' provided consists of instant coffee that you can make yourself and a loaf of white bread that you have access to if you'd like to toast it. There are a number of computers available for internet access, but they were mobbed the entire time that we were there.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of privacy
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VoHoAteam
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 22 June 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at Cozy Corner only because I couldn't find another hostel/hotel that was within out budget and available on dates we wanted.

The rooms are VERY small and cramped, but I believe most if not all come with AC. The floors looked like they haven't been cleaned in ages, although the walls and table looked clean. The mattresses are thin, and is practically just a box of springs. The bedsheets had stains on them.

All guests share bathrooms. I've stayed in places with shared bathrooms, but these were the worst. The toilets were stuffy and smell badly of urine. I had to hold my breath while going to the bathroom. The showers are in separate stalls. They had lukewarm water (didn't mind that much because Singapore is always so hot), but the walls were moldy.

The weirdest part was that the sinks for brushing teeth were out in the open. They are located in the kitchen/lounge area. Several times I had to brush my teeth and spit in front of numerous guests. It was weird.

This hostel offers free internet (although there is ALWAYS a line for it), and "free" breakfast, which is just bread you toast yourself and jam.

Private rooms are about $30 USD a night - not exactly cheap considering the facilities are so poor, but then again Singapore lodging might be expensive overall. I felt bad for the people staying in the dorms. Every time I walked by, the dorms smelled like sweat and dirty gym socks.

One upside is that the staff seemed pretty friendly.

Overall, I would NOT recommend this place. We procrastinated and booked our hotels last minute - otherwise, I think we could've gotten a better place. Lesson learned: either book early or fork out an extra $20+ a night for a better place.

• Stayed June 2008
2 Thank cltong482
Gold Coast
Reviewed 1 April 2008

Stay here ONLY when you have no other options available. The place is definitely a bottom end backpackers and it is definitely for the BUDGET traveller only. We were looking for a safe clean no frills place to stay but the Cozy Corner was a miserable experience. Our bed was all springs and the most uncomfortable nights sleep I've ever had. The room had no windows and looked more like a store room. The staff however were polite, friendly and obliging.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The room was uncomfortable, windowless and horrible
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family