“Lovely piece of paradise!”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Turtlemom...
Wooster, Ohio
“Lovely piece of paradise!”
Reviewed 17 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

As I planned my trip to Singapore to visit my oldest son, I researched and googled like crazy. Since I was going to be spending 2 weeks here and at times my son would be at work, I wanted a good place to relax and unwind. I don't need 5 star service or the impersonal hotel room.

I was thrilled to discover an amazing little gem with a pool, a kitchen and even family pets. I am an avid animal lover who has been involved with rescue for 6 years and have 5 fur babies of my own. I found the perfect place! Paula, the dog is a sweetheart and Dash, the cat is happy to have some human attention (on his terms, of course like a typical cat).

The housekeeper, Erly is a doll and helped make my stay for relaxing and welcoming. The family is very kind and gracious. If you know that latest Frozen songs, then their adorable daughter will be happy to lead you in a chorus or two. She has a charming little munchkin with personality galore!

If you want a place to call home and feel like you are truly a part of the real Singapore, then look no further.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Immediate feeling of home.
Travelling group: Solo
Friends getaway Older travelers
handlebar...
Glenwood, New Mexico
“Great alternative to the hotel scene”
Reviewed 10 January 2015 for a stay in January 2015
people found this review helpful

Staying here was so much more to my liking than a typcial hotel. Gijs and Ting, the owners, were away for most of my time here, but we met towards the end of my trip and what a nice couple. Erly, their live-in helper, was wonderful. This type of place is not for everyone. If you need 5-star this is not your place. But if you want to feel like you're at home, then by all means spend some time here when you are in Singapore. My room was simpe but comfortable, the kitchen is shared, but has everything you could need to cook up your favorite meal. You get room in a fridge, and there are several nearby markets to stock up on groceries. The bathroom is shared as well, but in my time there was never a conflict for it's use.

There's a bus stop right out front which will take you to a nearby MRT station (the MRT station can be walked to in 10 minutes). You are close to downtown without being in the middle of the noise and crowds. Hart Park is very close, just 3 minutes to the entrance. There are a few places to eat nearby, and a couple of great hawkers areas.

I'll stayt again next time I have an extended stay in Singapore if there is availablility, that's for sure !

Liked best: the atmosphere
Travelling group: Solo
MuddyBath
Bath, United Kingdom
“A little bit of the past”
Reviewed 14 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014
people found this review helpful

I stayed there 3 nights and my wife about 10. It's a really different place to stay - though not for those who want all the mid cons of a modern hotel.

There are two rooms which are basic but all you require (I.e. Somewhere to sleep!). You share a bathroom and toilet with the other room and Erly. There was never a clash while we were there.

The outside area is lovely to have, though you are next to and above Alexandra Road, which is pretty busy, so you will hear traffic.

Loads of buses - 20 minutes to HarbourFront, for example.

The area behind the house is old style colonial and well worth an explore along with neighbouring Hort Park and Kent Ridge Park.

We really lived it and it's very relaxed atmosphere. It isn't for everyone, but if you fancy something different, give it a go.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Peter H
Batemans Bay, Australia
“What a great stay”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

Staying in a heritage building with great hosts. It felt like home with all facilities you need in a place like Singapore. We stayed for a week to see the place and were blessed with the location of the historic building.

I could not recommend the whole experience more highly.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The ambience of the accommodation, the family we stayed with and the pooch.
Liked least: The humidity.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
People with disabilities Older travelers
the_alphi...
Melbourne, Australia
“When you don't want to be an anonymous guest and perfect for people needing some pet contact”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 for a stay in June 2014
people found this review helpful

As first time travellers to Singapore we were at a bit of a loss as to where to stay as we dislike the anonymity of the larger hotels. It was the photos of Gij's and Ting's petsa that attracted us to Black and White and really when we got there is felt like staying with relatives.

The room was large and comfortable and Gij made sure on our arrival that we knew where to head to buy supplies with a Cold Storage just down the road so we could happily prepare our own breakfast at our leisure. There is a large family room which you can share with the family but in fact with the outside facilities and us only coming back in the coolness of the evening there was really no need for us to venture indoors except to sleep.

Erly the home-help is very friendly and helpful and made sure we were looked after when we needed assistance. But if you are looking for a place with 24 hour room service then this isn't for you.
The stop for the 120 bus is about 50 metres from the front gate and from there you can go to either Redhills or Labrador Park Stations (and onto Harbourfront and Sentosa).

It was a pleasure coming back each evening to drop down in the cabana in this little oasis.

BE sure to purchase a tourist pass from the MRT ticket office at Changi airport when you fly in for with that you can make your way to anywhere in Singapore from here.

If you are a pet person then getting a little pet-therapy from Paula or Batch is a special bonus. Paula takes a while to get used to people and doesn't like to be rushed. But on our last day there she decided to greet me like a long lost friend.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: it has a yard and pattable pets
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
People with disabilities Older travelers
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing