“Good hotel”
Review of Hotel 81-Bugis

Hotel 81-Bugis
Ranked #239 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The location is great near by the Bugis MRTstation. The food center / shopping around this hotel. There also a convenience store next door. And it has free wifi availability, complimentary toiletries and coffee /tea.

Good hotel reception dealt with friendly check in and efficient. Housekeeping changed bedsheets everyday. The hotel itself was very clean. All in a good average hotel, good location and good price. So happy.

Room Tip: Good location for woman
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 January 2014

The hotel stinks of stale smoke as does the room.
The bed is uncomfortable with a plastic coated mattress, which causes you to sweat.
They charge extra for wifi 10 dollars per device, per day.
The shower room is tiny and you have to shower standing over the toilet.
The location is good
The staff are friendly enough.
It has aircon and a TV without remote control.
I have to say without exaggeration it's the worst hotel I stayed in, in the developed World.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank holtbox1969
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I do not think that I would recommend anyone to go to this hotel. It is upsetting hotel with congested rooms where you hardly have space to do anything. The TV has very few channels, the staffs are not polite. I initially booked for 3 nights however I went to another hotel after staying my first night. The bathroom hardly gives you space for sitting down or cleaning your body. It is more like a hostel, not a hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NPLGUY
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Singapore is an expensive place and Hotel 81 is one of their budget hotel chains so I truly wasn't expecting much for a 2 night stay. Still, it was quite the disappointment.

Rooms are understandably small, however I couldn't get over the bathroom and how the shower, toilet, and sink shared one common space (so when you showered, everything got wet). There was a long strand of hair stuck to the toilet paper dispenser when we arrived which made me question the cleanliness of the whole room. Hot water was also intermittent. The bed was firm which is standard in SE Asia but it felt damp most of the time. The worst part, though, were the thin walls. I could hear everything happening in the hallways. I would say we were just unlucky because we happened to have a family on our floor who moved around alot and had a kid that was running around, but they literally sounded like they were right outside our door when they were not (I know because I looked outside and they were several doors down on the other side of the elevator). This is one time when I was ecstatic not to have a window so that I could at least rely on the darkness to help get a couple extra moments of shut eye.

Only reasons I'm not rating this Terrible is because the location was close to Bugis MRT station and plenty of shopping and dining around. Check-in/out was easy enough and staff seemed fine (though I didn't interact with them much). Complimentary WiFi worked ok (but required me to login repeatedly which was a little inconvenient). Highly suggest just forking out the extra dough and staying somewhere nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynda H
Reviewed 3 December 2013

As it was our last night, having returned to Singapore from Thailand, having previously stayed at the Ibis, Bencoolen(very good value etc), we decided to go for a cheaper option, and shared room. It was only about £35 cheaper than the Ibis, and how we regretted being cheap! The room was ridiculously small for £75 a night pricetag, and had no window too!. My advice would be to anyone, don't do it, spend the little extra and go to the Ibis, or somewhere similar.

Room Tip: I am not aware there are any 'good' rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Davem001
Reviewed 27 November 2013

stayed for 3 nights. it was clean in a handy location staff were helpful and pleasant. would definitely recommend to anyone. rooms are small but that's all I needed. five minute walk to Bugis junction and MRT station

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank terry011168
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here for three nights on a quick break in Singapore. Singapore is clearly an expensive place and although I didn't think this hotel was cheap, by local standards it's pretty good value.

The location is pretty good; Bugis MRT station is maybe 5-10 minutes walk away (it depends in large part how lucky you get with the traffic lights when crossing the roads) and that provides fairly convenient access to places like Boat Quay. It's also handy for the airport, requiring only one change at Tanah Merah. Little India is a moderate walk away. The much pricier Intercontinental hotel is almost diagonally opposite.

I was unable to turn the air-conditioning in the room off, but it was less "draughty" than usual and I didn't feel the need to call down to the desk to ask how to turn it off. The control panel for the air-conditioning had buttons which had worn away quite badly, so it may have been a genuine fault rather than incompetence on my part. As I say, I didn't feel the need to pursue it.

The wifi had one of those hotel-style systems where the network itself is open but when you use the web browser it redirects you to a login page. Using Firefox on both my phone and laptop, the web browser decided the password was associated with whatever page it thought you were trying to get to, not the hotel wifi login page, so I had to keep typing it in manually every time. Once connected it did work fairly well though, and there was no charge for using it.

The room was pretty small; just enough space for a small bedside table at one side of the large bed and enough space to squeeze round at the far side. There was no wardrobe, just a few coat hooks on the wall. It was also windowless, although I'd read reviews and been warned about that and it didn't bother me too much. One wall had a mirror so it didn't feel too cramped.

The room did have a kettle and the hotel did provide a single sachet each of tea and coffee mix per day, which was a welcome touch if slightly stingy. They also provided free toothbrushes, which was more than I expected from a budget hotel.

Unfortunately I didn't sleep very well any of my three nights. It's hard to be totally sure, but I have to put the blame on the horrible vinyl mattress with just a thin sheet over it so you could still feel the slightly clammy vinyl. The bed sheets were slightly ripped or otherwise marked, but they were clean enough and the rips themselves didn't bother me.

I would consider staying here again, but if I could find somewhere in a similar price range and location without the vinyl mattress I'd probably try that in preference.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo