“Very much pleased”

The St. Regis Singapore
Ranked #29 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I was really pleased with this hotel during the time staying here. It had excellent staff and top quality of facility, which all made me pleasant. The hotel also had convenient location, therefore it was very easy to travel to business & entertainment centers surround. Strongly recommend to you!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shahhfield
Write a ReviewReviews (2,210)

Reviewed 11 May 2011

This review is based on two stays – with a week between them – at this property.

After a 13 hour flight from London, I decided to treat myself to the St Regis Bentley transfer, so I arrived at the hotel in supreme comfort. This transfer might cost many multiples of a taxi transfer, but to step off of a long flight, be escorted off of the plane to a completely separate area by electric buggy, and then be told that one’s luggage is waiting for them in the car outside, it is (relatively) priceless.

Check-in (both times around, and I only had the Bentley transfer for my first stay) was smooth, and very painless – certainly no queues as others have noted. One thing I will say about some of the check-in staff is that their English, and general friendliness is not on a par with the standards in virtually every other area of the property. This is probably the weakest area of the hotel, front desk staff should all be extremely friendly and absolutely fluent in English (and other major languages).

I experienced two grades of room, the Grand Deluxe, and Lady Astor. Whilst the Lady Astor grade has a slightly larger bathroom with a window, the room has smaller windows and overlooks the city, and not an especially good view of the city either, the Grand Deluxe definitely has an airier, lighter feel and enjoys views over the greenery of the Botanical Gardens. The lighting panel is not complex as others have implied, far from it, one button to switch off all the lights and a few “mood” settings, that’s it. The Bose sound system and large television complete the overall high quality feel of the room. Dimensions are generous, and decor is very attractive, with white wooden panelling, lots of marble, Murano glass chandeliers, and rich fabrics and textiles. On general maintenance, the Lady Astor room had a tear to the sheer curtain – something which should have been replaced almost immediately in an hotel of this calibre; very disappointing that no remedial work had been carried out. The TWG tea service – for me – made the butler service special; it was very pleasant to receive one’s chosen tea after a morning alarm call. The TWG tea is a really lovely touch and is served in TWG’s own brand teapots which are very stylish; far easier to call down for a drink than to start messing around with making it oneself. I never had to wait more than ten minutes (and often it was far faster) for a cup of tea to be brought to my room. The garment pressing service was speedy, and perfectly executed. Whilst not essential, butler service to all rooms certainly differentiates this property from others in the city.

The concierge were very helpful (and patient!) in making restaurant reservations, and sorting out flights for me. The service throughout this property is of such an high standard, that when I walked up to a concierge who I had never dealt with previously, he knew my name – I am still unsure as to how he managed this trick, and even though they wear earpieces, the person at the other end still had to have known my name! However, I do note that it was impossible to call the concierge directly from one’s room, the phone always rang and rang and ended up being diverted to the central guest services number who would take a message to relay to the concierge. Whilst not ideal, the concierge did always return my call in a very short space of time. The doormen deserve a special mention for being so friendly, courteous, and also real characters who would share amusing anecdotes with you.

The outdoor pool is a very pleasant – and largely underused – area; service is a little minimal, cold waters are brought over to you every so often, but there should be a sorbet/iced fruit service as this level of property too. The spa is delightful, and comprises a small indoor wet area with heated marble slabs, Jacuzzi, sauna, and steam room and an even smaller outdoor Jacuzzi area. One thing I will point out is that the spa areas are entirely separate for men and women which is absolutely fine, but it would have been nice for there to be a communal area where one can spend time with one’s partner. As with the rest of the hotel, the spa staff are superb.

The breakfast is fantastic, and standards were consistent throughout my stays; I am genuinely puzzled as to how anyone can complain about this. There is an excellent selection of fruit, including fresh berries, a wide range of high quality cereals, and granola. All the usual cold cuts, about half a dozen European cheeses (something which needs to be taken in context i.e. the hotel is in the middle of Asia), American hot selection (quite why anyone would want a “full English/American” when there are so many other more interesting options baffles me, but the choice is there nevertheless), Oriental hot selection, Indian hot selection, made to order omelettes, selection of breads, and really good quality French style pastries. If the buffet selection is still not enough, there is an a la carte available with classics such as eggs Benedict, French toast, and waffles. Service is perfect; napkins were neatly folded each time one left the table to go to the buffet, glasses of fresh orange juice were continuously topped up, and the staff even replaced my tea with a fresh one so that I wouldn’t be drinking lukewarm liquid. The breakfast really sets one up for the day in a very positive frame of mind!

The Italian restaurant was probably my least favourite, whilst the service was good, the food was just a little ordinary. The pizzas were fine, but they were certainly not one of the best pizzas I have ever had, and for the prices charged, and the fact that the rest of the property really excels, the food just needs to be a little more special. Decor is pleasant though, and one could – with a bit of imagination – be sat by an hotel pool in Capri.

The complimentary wine presentation each evening is a very thoughtful touch; only a few guests took advantage of this, so it was never crowded. It comprised a flight of three wines and a selection of cheddar and biscuits to accompany it.

I hadn’t intended having dinner in the Brasserie Les Saveurs (the menu seemed a little conventional compared to some of the cities other French restaurants), but circumstances resulted in my dining there, and I could not have had a more enjoyable dinner. Whilst all the tables could be described as comfortable, I was seated at an alcove (although it is so large and private it could almost be described as a room) which was especially pleasant. The level of service was ultra-attentive yet unobtrusive, throughout my two hours it was absolutely faultless. The waiter took note of our dietary requirements and the amuse bouches were tailored accordingly – again, a thoughtful touch. The food itself was superb, and married contemporary and classical techniques resulting in dishes that really were a triumph – they were not too traditional to be dull, nor too avant garde to become challenging. One must have the flambéed mango for pudding, it is done tableside, and is a really exotic tasting dish. Neither my partner nor myself had coffee, yet we were still offered petit fours. We dined there on an early weekday evening, and the restaurant was very quiet, it is a shame more people do not discover what fabulous food is on offer. I would love to find a restaurant that offers this style of food and service (although I can’t imagine anywhere in Europe offering such high standards yet being so relaxed and unstarchy) in London. Even if you may not ordinarily consider an hotel restaurant, this is an exception that you must make.

During my stay I had one issue – which was largely out of the hotel’s control – and this was dealt with, with the utmost professionalism and discretion. Things do go wrong – even in seemingly perfect properties such as this – but if handled correctly they become a non-issue. The Platinum level reviewer seems to be largely whinging about not being offered something for nothing simply by having a platinum level SPG status (which is not actually that difficult to come by).

Now, whenever I am in Singapore I will not consider staying at another property as my experience of this one has been virtually perfect. The location is also a pleasure, away from the more commercial areas (Boat & Clarke Quay, Marine Bay), near to the shops, trendy (and excellent) Dempsey Rd. Restaurants, and close to the greenest parts of the city. Quite why the St Regis is not leading the various CN Gold and other lists for Singapore hotels is a mystery as the other leading hotels seem so ordinary by comparison!

Room Tip: Choose a Grand Deluxe for Botanical Garden Views
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IntlTraveller21stc
Reviewed 11 May 2011

We stayed at St Regis for a week and got to know the hotel well. The rooms are simply great.

Restaurants were in my opinion poor although service was excellent. After receiving our lukewarm food on 2 occasions we didn't go back preferring to eat elsewhere.

The hotel swimming pool is on small side and is generally shaded by tall surrounding buildings. Pool service is very good and friendly.

Location is good and a pleasant walk to the shops in Orchard Road.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ellysian
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Honestly, this place is fantastic. Pricey - this is not pretending to be anything other than a genuinely first class 5 star hotel - but as nearly always in life, you get what you pay for.

Service could not be faulted. Attentive without being intrusive; unfailingly polite from management to cleaning staff; every detail is considered.

Room was amazing - everything you'd expect including a gorgeous large bathroom with supersonic shower, free standing bath, double sink.

Tea and coffee free of charge, delivered within minutes by a smiling member of staff who couldn't do enough for us.

Breakfast gets busy so get down as early as you're able. On weekends the hotel opens up its poolside restaurant for brunch also which is a nice alternative. The food itself is of fantastic quality and plentiful - I stuck to muesili and mountains of fruit but the full English option was there too!

Perhaps my only issue was the location, at the far end of Orchard Road you're a bit out of the action. But hey, some people like that and taxis are dirt cheap and plentiful in Singapore so this is not a major complaint.

Great hotel which made our trip to Singapore a really memorabl experience.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gregorhayes
Reviewed 7 May 2011

My wife and I are very frequent leisure and business international travellers. We have averaged approximately 6 or more international trips per annum for the last 15 years and have yet to discover a better all round hotel in the world. Living in Melbourne Australia our journeys often take us through Singapore as a transit point for other destinations in Asia, the Middle East and Europe and we always look forward to our 2-3 days stopover at St Regis Singapore.

On our latest journey in Turkey, Bulgaria and Greece, we had the real pleasure spending our last 3 days at one of Europe's genuine and historic icon's, the Grande Bretagne in Athens. It is a truly magnificent hotel and the best in the Balkans in the tradition of Hôtel de Crillon in Paris or the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai. Nonetheless, we again still looked forward to our return home to Melbourne via Singapore and to our stay at our second home at St Regis Singapore.

Sure there may exist in the world hotels with a more resort style pool in grander buildings but on every other test of exceptional value, location, service, amenities and food, St Regis Singapore is the very best. Yes, St Regis in Bali does have unparalleled swimming areas whilst St Regis in Washington some grandeur.From our experience of having stayed at other wonderful hotels in Singapore, such as Raffles, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton and most recently at Marina Bay Sands, we never enjoy the experience as much as our return to St Regis and do not intend to experiment again with those pretenders.

From the moment you arrive at the hotel, often dishevelled and tired after a long flight, the front door staff led by the always friendly and obliging Rahim and Chris , welcome you warmly back and lead you into the sanctuary of the hotel's serene interior ambiance.
The front desk staff, of whom particularly the assistant manager Khoo Si Yun stands out, greet you genuinely and apologise when rarely needed for any moment of delay and after efficiently checking you in lead you to your haven and to truly beautifully and luxuriously appointed over sized rooms. Early check ins and late check outs are invariably accommodated. Even when I organised a small conference at the hotel with a dozen or so rooms, more than half of the group were allocated rooms as earlier as 7.00am and all without fuss and the balance checked in by mid morning.

As other reviewers have accurately observed the rooms exude tasteful style and luxury on every level. Luggage storage, frequently a problem in other hotels, is fully catered for , the bathroom products generous and tempting and the bedding devine.

The butler service, so often in other establishments predicated on tipping, is fast without an expectation of a gratuity, and on delivery always completed with the question whether 'is there anything else I can do'. Nothing starts the day better than the on call coffee ( with wicked cookies) at no cost brought to you room within minutes of request with the newspaper. The free pressing also just so convenient. Put simply no requests seems difficult by the butlers to oblige and Jason a favourite.

Breakfast which maybe taken in the main dining area is sumptous with a fresh and comprehensive international selection or maybe taken around the pool area at La Brezza where amongst many others Ivy and Jessica, with their exuberance and enthusism, continue to impress.

Housekeeping just seems to happen whenever you are not in the room and frequently- with of course a comprehensive turn down service. All again without fuss or need to requisition. Quiet effiency at its very best.

One of the culinary highlights of Singapore is Yan Ting, the Chinese Restaurant, and for us especially enjoyable and indulgent the weekend Dim Sum Brunch with free flowing French champagne. Cantonese cuisine at its best.

Each day at the hotel ends with a complimentary wine, cheese and canapes session in the handsome Decanter bar.

In summary,forget the rest and do yourself a favour and indulge at St. Regis Singapore.

Lynden Kenyon

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynden K
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I spent three nights at the St. Regis at the end of a 6-week business trip to Asia. I had stayed at many other 5-star hotels in Singapore and wanted to see how the St. Regis stacked up.

The hotel has a very lavish style to it. The room was very nice, with extremely comfortable bed and an amazing bathroom. The room was also very large and had plenty of closet space, which was appreciated. I really had no fault with the room at all.

The service here was impeccable, as is the standard in Singapore. The person who assisted me with check-in also escorted me to the room, showed me how to work the controls, and then the "butler" stopped by with coffee and to see if I needed anything. Definitely nice touches. Then at the end of my trip, I had a midnight flight back to Europe and stopped by the hotel to pick up my luggage. I was able to take a shower and make use of the spa facilities, which was very nice. Despite the fact that I was not buying any spa services, I was given a warm welcome, helped with my bags, etc. Very good service all around.

The only slight downside to the hotel in my opinion is the somewhat out of the way location if commuting to the city center. It's very convenient for shopping and there's lots of good restaurants around, but about a 10-minute walk to the MRT. Maybe I'm a bit strange compared to most St. Regis guests in that I prefer to ride the MRT than take taxis, but the problem is that it's difficult to find taxis at rush hour in Singapore. In fact, one morning there were about 12 people waiting in line for taxis. That said, this is a minor inconvenience compared with all that's in the area.

I really enjoyed the hotel and would be pleased to stay here again on a future trip to Singapore. The style is a bit over the top for my tastes, but the great service and extremely comfortable bed balanced it out.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank cougrz007
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Great hotel, service, spa, pool, wine bar, etc

The only concern is the price it is expensive, like all 5 star hotels in Singapore, remember it is only Singapore but they all charge so much.

Anyway if you have the money stay at the St Regis it is great, the nest in Singapore - I have also tried Hyatt, Hilton, Sheraton, Intercontinental, Conrad, Swissotel, etc

• Stayed: February 2011