“Unbelievable luxury”

The St. Regis Singapore
Ranked #27 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 30 October 2009

This may be the most luxurious hotel I've ever stayed in. It's all you'd expect from a St. Regis, but the rooms are really quite something. The only other Singapore hotel I've tried is the Grand Hyatt. I liked the Hyatt, but it seems downright spartan in comparison.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Singapore

Reviewed 25 October 2009

I tried this hotel since they were advertising a 20% discount on pre-paid rooms. We booked into a Lady Astor Suite and were upgraded to a a Deluxe Executive Suite - nice start! This is a common hotel ploy for newbies to a hotel but appreciated anyway. The lobby area already looks a little dated. I'm not sure about the designer choices. Perhaps they were going for old-style luxury but some of the carpeting and light choices makes it look dated even tho the hotel is only 2y old.
The suite was great, one of the best I've stayed in. It was luxurious and with all the mod-cons even if the numerous lighting controls took the full three days to decipher. Bed was comfy. Butler service was friendly and efficient and nothing was too much hassle. We would have liked to have the option of making our own tea in the room but it was nice that we could get the butler to custom make a ginger honey lemon tea since I had a sore throat. You get two tea servings a day for free.
My wife told me the massage (done by a guy in this instance) at the remede spa was great and the facilities looked good with rain shower room, wet and dry saunas, jacuzzi etc.. The gym and lap pool (at least 20m, maybe 25m) also looked very good altho I was not feeling well enough to try them out.
It's about a 5-10min stroll to the start of the main Orchard Rd shops so the location is pretty good and there is a small mall with a supermarket 2min walk away in the opposite direction for anything small or urgent.
The only negative thing I can say about the hotel is the breakfast and unfortunately it's a big negative. The food quality and selection was poor, even for a 3 star hotel, and the service was of a similar standard. It's as if they subcontracted out the breakfast room to a cheap third party caterer. Very few of the fruit on offer was ripe (mostly sour) and the hot foods area was almost inedible (scrambled eggs was like yellow soup one day, the sausages tasted like cardboard). I am not surprised about the previous reviewer saying the afternoon tea is poor if it's done by the same kitchen and staff. If breakfast was not included in my package I would have definitely eaten at the cafe in the mall which is quite popular with expat wives doing their grocery shopping.
Despite this gripe, the hotel is now definitely high on my list of hotels to stay in Singapore as long as they keep offering these deals. I don't mind paying a bit of a premium over nearby 5 star hotels for what is a better hotel, in my opinion, but the normal rack rate is a bit much. It's definitely worthwhile for a special occasion or a pamper. Just go to the nearby mall for breakfast until they get this problem fixed.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DirkHartog
Reviewed 24 October 2009

We only visited for Afternoon Tea, but I think it's worth giving feedback on that experience, especially as it is so different from the rave reviews that almost everyone has given here who has actually stayed in the hotel.

Here's what happened: "Champagne High Tea" in the Brasserie Les Saveurs was advertised as starting at 3:00pm. We arrived a few minutes after that and we, together with one other guest, were told that it had not yet started, so we stood around in the lobby. Shortly after we were shown to our table.

The waiter pulled back the seat for me, and I immediately noticed that it was badly stained (presumably with food or drink?) in three or four places. I asked for it to be changed.

I sat down and it was immediately obvious that the champage flutes on the table were dirty - I picked mine up and saw both lip-stick marks and water stains. I asked the waiter to replace both glasses.

We placed our order and asked for some iced water (which I could see was close-at-hand on the waiter's table). After maybe 5 minutes, none had been provided. The restaurant was starting to fill up and it became clear that there were just not enough staff on duty to provide attentive service. Eventually I had to walk over to the same waiter (head waiter?) and ask again for the water.

We order the quiche and satay savouries. Maybe ten minutes later, quiche and dim sum arrived instead. That was sent back and next our requested quiche and satay appeared. Later in the meal another waiter appeared to bring us the quiche and satay which we had already been served. Later still, yet another waiter appeared with - you've guessed it! - the same dishes again. After the second of the four deliveries, the head waiter came over, apologised for the error with the first, and offered us a complimentary extra glass of champagne.

We enjoyed most of the food, except for the rock-hard, stale scones and one sponge cake which must have been several days old. But absolutely nowhere was there any 6-star "wow" factor.

Instead there was a bill of SGD 125 (about USD 90) for 2 people. I would have been happy to pay that steep price for afternoon tea if it truly was a 6-star, excellent food and wonderful service offering, but it very much was not.

On the way out, we happened to be greeted by the hotel's general manager. I gave him our feedback which he accepted graciously.

What surprised me, overall, is how a hotel of this notional 6-star rating can get away with disorganised, untrained and insufficient waiting staff; with food that is no more than good and in some cases awful; dirty furniture and filthy glasses; and sky-high prices?

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gemakan
Reviewed 11 October 2009

We booked using Starwood points, and were at the St Regis for part of our honeymoon. We were treated really well, the room (we had a standard) was huge, very modern and exquisite, with large marble bathroom (flat TV in front of the bath tub!), and a tray of fruits and sweets waiting for us. Location was great -- right on Orchard, and about a ten minute walk to the train. We got comp'd breakfast (a treat due to honeymoon / platinum status) every morning, which was tasty and plentiful. A butler is assigned to all guest rooms, though we never used ours. Our experience overall was incredible -- exactly what we were looking for!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shivanip29
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Wow. This is the property for a long stay. Luxury, artwork, quietly elegant. Our room was spacious, beautifully decorated, even a chandlier in the bathroom! Bed was extremely comfortable, great starched sheets, comfy pillows. The only drawback was the slower than expected service in the restaurants. But we will return time and again, this one is a gem.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Quite a new hotel in Singapore. The Executive Deluxe Room was great in all aspects. Complimentary in-room selection of TWG tea (premium tea). Must try their afternoon tea and Chinese tim-sum buffet. Not cheap but good quality. Staff are polite and helpful. Also do attend the wine tasting at 5.30-6.30pm (complimentary for hotel guests!)

Location wise, it is not right in the centre of Orchard Road but major shopping malls are about 5-minute walk away.

Looking to return to stay at their Executive Deluxe Suite next.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melvin0822
Reviewed 1 October 2009

there are not word for describe what mean enter in St Regis Singapore.
The Class is in each thing
The Hotel is incredible : there are same absolutely unique masterpiece of art of BOTERO the famous sculptor and painter
famous paint, fountain when you have dinner or lunch, concierge very well formed, absolutlely to try and learn what is the top class.
the room is incredible, very very very lyxury, from the bath, to the sorround system of Bose, from the shower to the elettrical tent.
the view is unique on a very big green park
when i were there, arrive the president of Singapore and there were the hollywoodian actresse charlize theron

Is the only choice in Singapore !

i came back as soon as I could

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple