“Good budget option”
Review of Mayo Inn

Mayo Inn
Ranked #199 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 31 January 2013

SGD100 doesn't get you very far with Singapore hotels unfortunately. I've stayed in several over the years and they tend to have tiny rooms, decorated 20 years ago and smell like your grandma's house. Mayo Inn is a cut above the rest of the 'budget' hotels and is modern, clean and conveniently located near to Sim Lim and little India. The staff were friendly, efficient and knowledgable. Not the norm in this price bracket in Singapore. Rooms are still small and basic but that's what 100 Sing dollars buys. Great for a one night stop over or budget business trip.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Munnsy75

Reviewed 31 January 2013

At the time we booked a family room for January it seemed to be a good deal as no one was offering any specials. It is well located right in Little India and only 5 minutes from Bugis MRT. However the room turned out to be much smaller than in the pictures and was very basic for the price we paid. It was also a bit noisy as our room was on Jalan Besar Rd. It was clean and still OK for an overnight stay, the staff were friendly and the location is great.

Room Tip: Avoid the Jalan Besar side if possible
1  Thank Travelpossums
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I stayed at Mayo Inn from 24-26 Jan. Coincidently at that time, the lift was shutdown because there were constructions going on. It was tough for me and hubby to carry our luggage and 1 year old baby up the stairs to our room (3rd Floor). We took the deluxe room, so the room was big and the toilet was big as well. Lots of cupboard space to put your things.
However on the last day, when we were packing to check out, at 12:15 noon someone knocked on the door. When we opened it was Miss Wee (the receptionist) with this angry look on her face as if we had done something wrong. While pointing at her watch, she angrily told us it's 12:15 and we needed to check out as soon as possible. We were only 15 minutes late. She could use some manners in dealing with hotel guests, as the way she talks is rough and as singaporeans call it "kiasu"

Mayo Inn please employ better receptionists, like Yati or Ana/Ann not some old lady with bad manners. I guess because of this experience, I'm not coming here anymore.

2  Thank Sage123456
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Had a very good experience here. We stayed in room 304 (Western style) and everything was clean, tidy, and well-maintained. We were able to check in early, which was a huge help. The room was small but adequate. The bathroom was tiny and did require some creative maneuvering between the door, the shower door, and the toilet. The elevator was out of service, and according to the sign posted at the desk, had been for three months. Not a big hardship except for bringing luggage up and down. I also had trouble connecting my laptop to wifi, which neither of the two people at the front desk were able to correct despite their best attempts. The service was friendly and the location was fine. I did find it strange that the bedroom window was covered up by stained glass panels, making it impossible to see outside. I would prefer to have a functioning window, even if it's not a nice view.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie M
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I thought I've already found the best value hotel when I found Mayo Inn. I was a bit disappointed.

I booked 2 rooms (1 family room, 1 standard room) for 2 nights. I did my reservation almost 2 months in advance and yet when we got there, no standard room was available for us. So we were told we'd be upgraded from a standard room to a deluxe room. Now normally, hotels would do this complimentary because you have done your duty of booking and paying early to reserve a room for yourself, but no, Mayo Inn charged us extra for the upgrade. We didn't bother arguing about that. Check-in took no less than 30 minutes too and I didn't know why because we were the only ones checking-in that time.

3 adults occupied the family room and it was spacious. The deluxe room was just right for 2 adults and 1 toddler. I am somehow relieved we were not in a standard room, albeit the extra charge. Anything less than the deluxe would've been too small for us. It had many closet space, a small ref (which I needed to store my toddler's milk) and a nice bathroom.

The lift was still non-operational but we didn't mind since we stayed on the second floor. Only other qualms were that room 201 smells of smoke even if the hotel says they strictly prohibit smoking and the same room had a leaking window so the carpet got wet (it was a rainy weekend). Oh and one other thing, my son uses one of the coffee cups on the desk to drink his milk in the morning. When we got back at night, I assumed that our coffee cups were replaced or maybe washed since our rooms were done and the usual stuff were replenished and the coffee cups turned upside down again. When I turned it upright, I was surprised to see dried up traces of milk meaning they did not change nor wash the cups. I was drawn back by the thought that maybe they did not change nor wash it from the previous guests who stayed in that room too. The coffee cups are black so traces of coffee or tea won't be visible but goes otherwise for milk.

I honestly expected more from Mayo Inn and I'm hoping they would be able to improve their facilities and services. In all fairness though, the family room were my parents and brother stayed (room 202) did not smell of smoke, had no leaking windows and their only complain was they did not have wifi signal in their room so they had to go to ours. As for me, my search isn't over for a good place to stay in Singapore with the same price range of Mayo Inn.

3  Thank tiny_little_mom
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

You might need to print the map since the inn was not really well known. I booked Mayo Inn after seeing nice reviews on trip advisor. It is a nice quiet inn near bugis area. The receptionist Ana is really a pro in her job. She is friendly and really helpful. I booked the japanese stlye room and to my surprise, it is actually quite big! It is bigger than value hotel and much more comfortable altough the price is cheaper than value hotel. Bigger bathroom and decent amenities. The only thing that make me give it a very good score instead of excellent score us is the elevator broke down. Buy you could ask them to put you in the lower storey. For a budget hotel, Mayo Inn is definitely not a plus-plus hotel like hotel 81 and such where you could find prostitutes around the hotel. I will definitely recommend this inn for anyone in a budget holiday.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Rikachuuu
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Hi,

I'm 30yr old female, traveled solo to Singapore for an extended transfer.

I caught a cab to this hotel from the airport and it took about 30-40mins. I think it was about $HK30?

The two night reception girls were so friendly and helpful. They spoke with and organised communication between myself and a local work colleague who I was having difficulty getting a hold of.

Pro's:
Fresh amenities - eg bathroom, furniture, TV & bedding.
Comfortable queen bed and clean sheets
Simple decor
10 minute walk to either Bugis* or Little India stations
*There was construction works disrupting footpaths in Dec 2012, so it was easier to get to Little India. Furthermore, Little India is one station away from a major station Dhoby Ghaut so it's better to go to Little India.
Very close to Bugis market and Little India

Cons:
Air con takes a few minutes to start
Noise outside can be disturbing if you're a light sleeper
Windows don't open, not there was anything to see out the window...

A week before arrival, the staff sent me an email advising that their lift will be out of service during my stay. I thought that was a great show of courtesy giving me enough time to book elsewhere without incurring a cancellation fee. I didn't care about carrying my bag so I went ahead and they allocated me a room on level 1, again, very curteous.

I would stay at Mayo Inn again.

Room Tip: You could ask for a room NOT along the road if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo