“Go for Frog Porridge”

G7 Sin Ma Live Seafood Restaurant (Geylang)
Ranked #1,463 of 11,571 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Malaysian, Singaporean
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: G7 Sin Ma Live Seafood is a local seafood restaurant that has stood in Geylang for decades, offering delectable dishes and a relaxed environment for our customers to enjoy the freshest local delicacies, such as our signature Chilli Crab, Black Pepper Crab, Mango Fish, and Shark’s head. Other local specialties not to be missed include Braised Pork Belly in Fragrant Lotus Rice, and of course, our signature mouth-watering Frog Porridge. Opening from 3pm to 3am, we aim to satisfy late night food cravings!
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Frog porridge was amazing. We had it done two ways. Service was so so - but pretty good value for money. Made the mistake of looking at the frogs on the way out (not recommended if you aren't used to it!)

1  Thank Natt28

Reviewed 1 September 2011

Parking can be either along the road side or further front there's a multi-storey URA carpark. (Beware of the sudden entrance). We've been patronising this restaurant since 2003 but lately, the waitress gave us nightmare with her pushy & aggresive ordering behaviour. As part of her ploy, she may start off polite & helpful. Then, subtly she becomes aggresive & kept pushing us to order dishes beyond our needs for a small family of 2 young teenage girls. We've already ordered 3 claypots of frogleg porridge, deep fried brinjal, 2 chilli Sri Lankan Crabs plus 6 mantous ... now that's alot for our stomachs. Then, she pushed for deep fried Grouper with mango sauce. We told her that we have too much & may have to struggle with all the dishes. We asked how big is the size of the fish but she described as a small size just fit for our family size. When, the dish came, the fish was enormous in comparison to the amount of dishes we had ordered. This is punishing but what choice do we have. She's already no more in sight and it's too late for us to cancel it by the time we saw the size of the dish. This kind of strategy is ugly & i felt customers are taken for a ride with such ordering behaviors. The dishes are delicious & tasty no doubt but our mood is already spoilt with such insistence. That fish cost us $60 & is a real waste when our tummies are already full with the prior dishes.
I must warned future diners to be very wary & careful with such tactics during ordering.

2  Thank DanielOon
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Had the same bad experience as ''sincerecupid'' when i went there for dinner with my brother & mum. Even though we told the waitress that the 5 frog legs, long beans and a pot of porridge would be too much for 2 adults and my mum of 93 years old, the fast talking china waitress recommended a small side dish of fish which she said is very good. Thinking it was something small, we agreed. When it came and to our great surprise it was a big steam fish (angel) around 600-700 gm. I told her we did not order this. She said that this was the side dish she recommended. We told her this is not even a small side dish and ask her for the price of this fish which she kept beating around the bush and not answering us. When the bill came, the fish itself was costing S$56. The total bill was S$96.20 when our simple dinner should be only $38.80. The fish itself was not even fresh to begin with. I asked the supervisor collecting the money if the fish was a live fish and how come its not fresh. She said its live but avoid looking at me in the eye. One time is enough and the last time!! We have been there few times as frog porridge was quite good even though price was a bit on the high side than others. However, we will never ever visit this s*** place again and I am warning all my friends & everyone on my fb. THUMBS DOWN SINMA (Geylang)!!!

2  Thank Disappointed123082
Reviewed 2 March 2011

This was my third time here and this time's experience was really terrible so I decided to spread the word to warn people about their famous sales oriented waitresses.

Husband and I were there to seek a regular dinner and just wanted some simple dishes to go with white rice. As we were ordering our dishes, the waitress started recommending us to add more dishes and highlight a promotional dish which is the mango sauce fried fish - we were quite sure she said something like $9.90 and the fish weighs about 600 gm. Husband was interested and so we gave in.

So our orders in the end were the mango fried fish, mamite chicken and sambal green bean with 2 rices and 2 drinks. After drinking 50% of our drinks, the waitress happily came by and asked if we will like to get another drink?!! DUH?!! Hello, only 50% of drink done and already asking us to refill??!!

Anyway, I didn't enjoy the fish - sauce was spicy and sourish with fishy smell in the fish but husband loves it. The mamite chicken taste more soysauce than mamite. Sambal bean was acceptable only.

Anyway, the gist of this review is - WE GOT A SURPRISE when the BILL came. This meal cost us $81 dollars! WHY? Because the fish cost $49!!! (We wouldnt order this if we knew coz it was meant to be a real casual dinner) We clarified and the waitress said it was base on the weight and not the 1 pc of fish! Wow, we really didn't know what to say and paid for the meal.

The money aside, I feel the waitress was trying to mislead us when she highlighted that this is a promotion item and said $9.90 with a fish weighing about 500-600gm quite loudly when my husband asked for the price initially. We didn't get the idea she meant $9.90 per 100gm!

I did notice she was also recommending the same dish to many tables as well. I hope they didn't get a surprise like us as well.

So be careful!